Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX to NX soon

Though it was a very difficult decision, I am selling my trusty 2012 RX pan roof because I have ordered a NX450h with premium plus pack and sunroof.

I had always planned on replacing my RX three years ago, but life and covid got in the way. I then test drove a nearly new RX450 last year and was a bit underwhelmed to be honest. The terrible track pad infotainment system being the main problem. At this point the new NX was announced so I waited until last week to test drive it. Well, what can I say? Loved it to bits, found it really comfortable, quiet, and really quick, so the order is in place now, expected delivery in July.

So I will be asking all of my questions and giving any advice hear from now on.

Ps don't tell Lexy about Nexy she has got to keep going until July

• Like 4

I have the same spec on order at present and like you I was hugely impressed after the test drive. Think it is a massive leap forward from my current 2018 NX. Placed the order in September and the car is in the UK. I expect that the predicted delivery date of mid March will be met. 

• Like 2

Having bought only new BMWs for the last 25 years I too wanted a change and have ordered a new NX 450h+ based upon hours of research and a 30 minute test drive. It's all a bit of a leap of faith for me but I'm as sure as I can be that I've made the correct decision. I hope you'll like your new NX, all the indications look good. I plan to do a review when it arrive next month.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I had a good look at the new NX today (not driven). From my perspective, having recently bought an RX;

- the NX is a nice thing as you’d expect from Lexus. Personally the multiple screens aren’t for me, although I accept that’s the way the world is going so my next car will almost certainly have them and I guess I’ll learn to live with them. I do wonder whether this is fashion over function though;

- the car I saw had a black interior, with black headlining and a sunroof. It was DARK in there!

- fit and finish excellent, although surprised by a couple of sharp edges on the dashboard, and the area around the gear selector was quite flimsy and felt cheap which was a let down. Considering the quality of the rest of the interior I don’t understand the choice made here;

- boot space seemed excellent, probably more usable than the RX as the rear doesn’t slope as much, but…

- rear seat legroom was surprisingly limited. I can’t remember what rear legroom was like in my old NX, but this felt smaller even though the car itself is bigger. Assume boot space prioritised over passenger space?

- styling is nice but a bit bland. I don’t think the new Lexus design language has the presence of the previous ‘sharp edge’ generations, but that’s an entirely personal thing.

Nice to see that the car is being (almost) universally reviewed by the press as a class leader, which is unusual for a Lexus or indeed any Japanese car. There will surely be a full EV version which may yet be my next choice in three years, but for now I’m loving the RX experience.

There are 2 elements of your review that also struck me when we first test drove the new NX.

1. The dark interior was very dark inside, even with the sunroof, and was probably a contributor to my feeling that it was small inside, although I was comparing to my current RX. I would love a light headlining in the one I’ve ordered but it is not an option

2. The rear seat knee room, again comparing to the RX 

However we went ahead since we don’t really need the room of the RX inside anymore and the wife never liked the size of the RX when driving in town and on the very narrow country lanes where we live

• Like 1

4 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

I had a good look at the new NX today (not driven). From my perspective, having recently bought an RX;

- the NX is a nice thing as you’d expect from Lexus. Personally the multiple screens aren’t for me, although I accept that’s the way the world is going so my next car will almost certainly have them and I guess I’ll learn to live with them. I do wonder whether this is fashion over function though;

- the car I saw had a black interior, with black headlining and a sunroof. It was DARK in there!

- fit and finish excellent, although surprised by a couple of sharp edges on the dashboard, and the area around the gear selector was quite flimsy and felt cheap which was a let down. Considering the quality of the rest of the interior I don’t understand the choice made here;

- boot space seemed excellent, probably more usable than the RX as the rear doesn’t slope as much, but…

- rear seat legroom was surprisingly limited. I can’t remember what rear legroom was like in my old NX, but this felt smaller even though the car itself is bigger. Assume boot space prioritised over passenger space?

- styling is nice but a bit bland. I don’t think the new Lexus design language has the presence of the previous ‘sharp edge’ generations, but that’s an entirely personal thing.

Nice to see that the car is being (almost) universally reviewed by the press as a class leader, which is unusual for a Lexus or indeed any Japanese car. There will surely be a full EV version which may yet be my next choice in three years, but for now I’m loving the RX experience.

I take delivery of my 450h+ next week. I opted for the Hazel leather which has a matching headlining as I was wishing to avoid the black roof. Also opted for the sunroof although I wish that the panoramic roof was available on this model - I will really miss it! 

I echo the legroom comments. I think its probably around the same as the previous gen but the darkness with black interior makes it feel worse. Get a lighter interior and should feel more spacious. 

The was considering getting an NX450h+ but the issue is I have 3 kids and I think my wife has been feeding them too much as their legs are too long.... 

Interesting to hear peoples view of the rear legroom.

I didn't really pay much attention as it's just the Mrs and my nearly 2yr old and so I only really checked in relation to the child seat, including how wide the back doors open as saw mention of it not being as wide as some would like (ok in my opinion and not that different from my RX).

Reviews I've seen have all said rear legroom is good, and sure one guy was 6'2 and so checked it with the driver's seat set for him also. 

Also in the position where I don't really need something as big as the RX and so feel it's a no brainer for me. Brand new model with all the new tech plus a PHEV that also has more power and better driving dynamics. 

I like the dark headliner but hoping my flare red interior helps brighten the cabin, but as my pan roof is closed and covered most of the time not sure that I'll notice really, especially as that's what the previous RC was like. So probably wouldn't be worthwhile investment for me if the option was available. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links