Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX450h+ Wallbox installation

@Ken RThe experience you are having is at a complete variance to the one that I have had.

At the end of the survey the engineer said to me “when you’ve worked out when you can get the isolator fitted, along with the ducting in the trench we discussed, I suggest you should give the installation team a call and book the installation date. If any of the pre-work slips at all just cancel & re-book”

The following day we received an email from the installation team asking us to call them to book a date once we have a date for the isolator switch to be fitted. Slightly different from what the engineer said but it made sense to me to have the date for the isolator fitting first.
Once we had a date I called the installation team, told them the agreed date we had been given for the isolator to be fitted with Octopus (who aren’t charging for it) and they offered a date for the week following.
They asked about the trench & conduit install & I said it will be done before the EV Charger install date with the required photographic evidence sent to the engineer to show that it has been done to the regulations he quoted.

They we’re happy with this, confirmed the EV Charger install date with a note asking me to let them know in advance if any of the pre-work slips so that the given date can be freed up and a new date booked.

Frustratingly, it does sound as though the service you get depends on who you talk to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had an in person survey completed by BG engineer on 4th March. The guy left saying he would compile his report and I would hear in due course. 
I’m still waiting to hear. I did chase a couple of weeks ago but was told they have a backlog and I would need to be patient. 😮💨

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like things are moving at long last.

I received an email from BG with basic details of installation and quote. I’d asked for tethered cable so I’ve got a total bill for £86.

I’ve reviewed and accepted, so I guess I now will need to wait for an installation to be scheduled.

interestingly, minutes after I received email from BG generic email account, I received another email from BG/Lexus team letting me know that quote was sent and to get it accepted so they could expedite.

9 hours ago, zanderblue said:

Looks like things are moving at long last.

I received an email from BG with basic details of installation and quote. I’d asked for tethered cable so I’ve got a total bill for £86.

I’ve reviewed and accepted, so I guess I now will need to wait for an installation to be scheduled.

interestingly, minutes after I received email from BG generic email account, I received another email from BG/Lexus team letting me know that quote was sent and to get it accepted so they could expedite.

Did you pay £86 for a tethered cable?  They tried to charge me for the cable but I queried it and they removed it. The BG installation was totally free and all I paid was for an isolator to be fitted. 

I took delivery of my NX450h+ at the beginning of Feb and finally got my Hive EV charger installed this week. Sadly it doesn't appear to be hugely reliable. I tried charging the car last night and the Matt-e device tripped every 20 minutes.  I'll be speaking to British Gas but it's something for you to be aware of when you get your charger installed - make sure charge your car for at least 30 minutes before the engineers leave.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 2:42 AM, John Adams said:

Did you pay £86 for a tethered cable?  They tried to charge me for the cable but I queried it and they removed it. The BG installation was totally free and all I paid was for an isolator to be fitted. 

I have only paid the deposit at present, that was £49 and was part of the acceptance of quote.

I actually requested tethered cable on my original application so was expecting to have to pay the £86.

My charging point was installed by British Gas about two months ago and all is working fine. Out of the blue I received an email from Electricity North West telling me that they too need to inspect the installation stating that they "need to carry out further checks to make sure that there will be no impact on your household supply or the wider distribution network". Apparently my supply is 'looped' and hence the load limiter needs to be set to <60A (which it is according to the BG installation manager.

Given that over the years we have removed the 32A electric shower and the 32A immersion heater circuits this does all seem overly officious but we'll see what they conclude when they come in late May.

Hi I got my wall box installed yesterday and delighted with it. British Gas were going to be months, so I used a local company who installed a Easee Home one box. no issues and installed in a hour 

On 4/24/2022 at 7:46 PM, zanderblue said:

I have only paid the deposit at present, that was £49 and was part of the acceptance of quote.

I actually requested tethered cable on my original application so was expecting to have to pay the £86.

All scheduled for install. They offered slots couple of weeks out, but I’m still travelling so it’s going to be 1st June

Just had a call from BG finally, but with different information and costs. 

Originally quoted £59 for an 8m cable but now being told it's that plus £96 for the tethered unit as the offer is for untethered only. 

If I want a longer cable for the untethered version then it'll be £199 for a 10m one. 

Couldn't be arsed with it all so just told them to go with the untethered free version. 

So now need to know, how long is the charging cable that comes with the car?

54 minutes ago, Caspa said:

Originally quoted £59 for an 8m cable but now being told it's that plus £96 for the tethered unit as the offer is for untethered only. 

If I want a longer cable for the untethered version then it'll be £199 for a 10m one. 

Couldn't be arsed with it all so just told them to go with the untethered free version. 

Compared to the cost of the car, £96 does not seem much. You may find it a pain, in the end, having to get your lead out of the boot and connect two plugs? Just a thought?

3 hours ago, Caspa said:

I asked my dealer the same question and he replied saying that the cable was 5m in length.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 1:13 PM, Spacewagon52 said:

Compared to the cost of the car, £96 does not seem much. You may find it a pain, in the end, having to get your lead out of the boot and connect two plugs? Just a thought?

It wasn't the cost, more my annoyance at the misinformation and how long it's taken to get this far. I was busy with work when they called so poor timing as my patience was lacking, and as they're weren't clear and to the point I just wanted to get them off the phone after hearing the price differences. 

Haven't looked into it yet, but definitely buying a second cable as it'll become a pain like you said, and  hoping that'll be less than the price BG quoted. 

On 5/4/2022 at 4:03 PM, Harrier Man said:

I asked my dealer the same question and he replied saying that the cable was 5m in length.

Cheers.

• Like 1

British Gas have installed a charger for me, including a Matte (which I believe negates the need for an earthing spike) but coming from the matte (installed next to the main panel inside the house) is a thin black wire that goes outside to a blue clip that surrounds the main grey inlet cable (see photos). Does anyone know what this is for?

Wire pic 1.jpg

Wire pic 2.jpg

Yes the thin wire is for a current sensor (you can see the blue object clipped around the supply tail which is the actual sensor) - apparently the Matt-E can trip if the charger if the current load is too high, not sure what this is judged against.

British Gas stiffed me £80 for the Matt-E which I am still grumpy about, apparently the excuse is that it is installed in a waterproof box outside.

Now I just need the car to actually see if it works ...

1 hour ago, The_Doctor said:

Yes the thin wire is for a current sensor (you can see the blue object clipped around the supply tail which is the actual sensor) - apparently the Matt-E can trip if the charger if the current load is too high, not sure what this is judged against.

British Gas stiffed me £80 for the Matt-E which I am still grumpy about, apparently the excuse is that it is installed in a waterproof box outside.

Now I just need the car to actually see if it works ...

Thanks Doctor.

I'm in the same position - waiting for my car so that I can test the charger!

On 5/4/2022 at 12:16 PM, Caspa said:

Caspa, I bought a 10m Type 2 to type 2 cable 32 amp 7.2Kw from EVOneStop.co.uk for £142.80 in Dec 2021. It is very good quality. The business is the retail arm of Rolec I believe. This is still the current price:  Your Shopping Cart - EV OneStop

I use this instead of the Lexus supplied one as its a bit longer so means I don't have to park as near the chargepoint at home and I had it for my previous car.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wallbox installed today by BG, took 4 hours. 

All we need now is a car, which is still nearly 3 months away by my dealer’s latest info.

Charger was tested & working, until the engineer left that is. It now shows “offline” in the hive app so will be calling them to find out why 🤔

Hello Paul

I have left my charger switched off at the breaker and British Gas have "noticed" and gave me a call to ask if I had a problem with it :surprise:... So if you hold on you might not need to call them. All being well I will have something to plug into it later this week but I am trying not to get my hopes up until it actually arrives ...

He suggested I leave it on for 3-4 days to let any updates take effect and then turn it off, but if it is showing as “offline” then I don’t see how it can update.

I guess I turn it off from the Matt-e box?

Is your Matt-E internal or external? Mine is in an external box, you don't need to take the glass cover off to operate the breaker, it protrudes through the glass cover. I was also told to test it regularly, when it trips it goes to a mid-position but "off" is completely down.

• Thanks 1

Yes it is outside in a metal box and yes you are correct, the switch & test button does protrude through the glass.

When I looked yesterday the sun was on the glass (this is my excuse f I’m sticking to it 🙄) but having looked just now whilst it is in the shade it is more obvious that it protrudes.

Thank you for your input & help 👍

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links