Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1996 LS400 Replacement suspension bushes. What are my choices?

Howplum

I am toying with the idea of refurbishing the rear subframe assembly, not only to remove the usual rampant surface corrosion but also to replace the numerous bushes (12, I think). Although the car has only done 84,000 miles rubber does deteriorate with age, so it should be a beneficial exercise.

However, as far as the bushes are concerned I seem to have the following options:

1. OEM, probably from Japan or the Middle East, but that will be very expensive, and really not economically viable.

2. Aftermarket rubber bushes. Other than unbranded ones, the choice, on eBay at least, seems to be limited to Febest, which have mixed reviews elsewhere. However, correct installation is critical to give them a fair chance of longevity.

3.  Polyurethane bushes. At least these have the advantage of ease of installation, although it seems to be a minefield as to the correct hardness which might give the best ride quality. Apparently the hardness is rated using the durometer Shore A scale and I read somewhere that rubber bushes are likely to be no more than 70, whereas polyurethane bushes are mostly 80 or 90, so quite a bit firmer, which makes sense for those seeking to improve the handling - but not appropriate for an LS!

I did find these and have asked the company what hardness rating they are:

https://psbushings.co.uk/product-category/lexus/ls/400-ls/

Does anyone have any experience of aftermarket rubber or polyurethane bushes?

I have only used Amayama for replacements .....  genuine, correct and 50% of the UK Lexus / Toyota price even after carriage, Customs Duty and vat 

Once I used BluePrint and they had a very very limited lifespan  ....  only 40k miles

I would suggest that unless you have to change things then leave well alone .....  the costs can be quite high and the betterment effect will be very small probably and nowt will need changing until they might become a MOT Advisory ........  84k miles is tiny really

Just my limited experience with my Mk3 car and the Mk1 and Mk2 prior :wink3:

Malc

• Like 2

I would go OEM although they may be expensive it's the only way to get the original ride and comfort. I have one polyurethane bush on the rear axle carrier from PSB and you can feel it is firmer. I bought their Rear axle kit with four bushes and the hub side fitted but the other end didn't. I had to send them a diagram and photo of the arm with the bushes that wouldn't fit before they believed me!

• Like 3

Cest le Vie  .......... but at 84k miles there's probably a good 70k miles left in the originals before there's evident effective deterioration  ..  just my personal experience  .  and it all starts with the front nearside UCA ...........going " clunk " for me in the Dolomites and it never affected the driving one jot .... wondered what on earth the clunk was. Absolutely zero affect on the car's handling and driving experience 

And you only need replace one unit at a time if funds are a challenge 

As I say above, maybe leave well alone until there's a " need "

Malc

• Like 1

This idea was started from my wish to de-rust the rear subframe assembly, which I imagined would be easier if it was removed and dismantled. In the dismantling process no doubt some bushes would get damaged, and so on.....

However, perhaps I should now subscribe to the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" method, and just deal with the rust in-situ as best I can, preferably before it gets bad enough for the MoT tester to make a comment in May.

My son thinks he can hear a slight noise from the rear, but I can't, and as appears to be usual, the ride is unaffected.

PS: PSB did reply to me and confirmed their bushes were 90 on the Durometer A Scale, so quite a but firmer than the originals.

Thank you all for your comments though.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links