Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Navigation Issues

Hey Guys,

hope all is well with everyone, just wanted to ask the group on a possible or known issue.

When the Car starts up the screen comes on, i press the "show me map" using the touch pad, it the navigation starts up and then after a few sconds it comes up with a error message saying it cannot read the SD card and to check the SD card or contact your dealership.

I purchased a updated navigation SD card from E-bay and put it in, it said dont turn off engine as it was updating the software. after that it ran for like 2 days and back to square one again. has anyone had this issue before or recently experiencing this issue? and if what is there any cure to the problem or re-setting the navigation unit.

advise and thoughts would be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking for some time what to say and frankly I can't provide solution.

Do you still have original SD card? As such perhaps try putting it back in and see if it works. And if it still does not work, then the only thing I can think of is to take it to Lexus with original card and say that Sat-Nav is faulty, and let them check. I suspect that card from eBay you got probably was not genuine, or didn't even have correct map and that corrupted something in the system.

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

to clarify, where you having the issue with the old card as well as the new one, or has this only started happening since the new card and the system update?

On 3/4/2022 at 7:45 AM, Danny Boi said:

I purchased a updated navigation SD card from E-bay and put it in, it said dont turn off engine as it was updating the software. after that it ran for like 2 days and back to square one again.

That would suggest to me that the original card was giving problems so he bought a new one to solve it and it didn't - which may suggest that the card(s) are not the culprit.

3 hours ago, Herbie said:

That would suggest to me that the original card was giving problems so he bought a new one to solve it and it didn't - which may suggest that the card(s) are not the culprit.

That's how I read it but Linas interpreted another way so just seeking clarity.

If it was playing up before then two different cards and a software update hasn't resolved the issue - I'd conclude that the nav unit is at fault. Possibly dirty contacts on the SD reader but I don't see how that happens if the original card isn't removed prior to the fault developing.

• Like 1

hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply,

When i brought the car the sat nav was working fine, with i guess the origional Card. then all of a sudden the errror message came up. but its has a mid of its own it works when it wants to work and other times the dredded error message. I brought a new SD card from e-bay a repuitable Seller, to which was the updates when i installed the new card it came up with the message of software update do not turn off. after that again the same dreded error message, so i put the old card back in again and started working for two days and then again same issue. i contacted the seller who sent me another SD card saying it may not be Eu compatible just UK only, and so ive done it and now its like before it works when it wants to work and then comes up with the dreded error messgae...

is there something i can use to clean the contacts with like a spray or something before going to lexus.

Many Thanks

1 hour ago, Danny Boi said:

hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply,

When i brought the car the sat nav was working fine, with i guess the origional Card. then all of a sudden the errror message came up. but its has a mid of its own it works when it wants to work and other times the dredded error message. I brought a new SD card from e-bay a repuitable Seller, to which was the updates when i installed the new card it came up with the message of software update do not turn off. after that again the same dreded error message, so i put the old card back in again and started working for two days and then again same issue. i contacted the seller who sent me another SD card saying it may not be Eu compatible just UK only, and so ive done it and now its like before it works when it wants to work and then comes up with the dreded error messgae...

is there something i can use to clean the contacts with like a spray or something before going to lexus.

Many Thanks

I am slightly concerned that you may invest time, money and effort in getting this sat/nav system to work as well as it did when the car was new - only to discover that it is slow, clunky and cumbersome to use - and far inferior to, for example, my Garmin or Google maps on a smart phone.

I get four free data and software updates annually for my Garmin.  As you’ve discovered, getting the Lexus system updated by a dealer, so that they become responsible for its correct operation, is a very expensive business.  In any case, presuming that updates are available, I believe they were only done every two years.

I regret that where I locate the Garmin blocks the whole Information screen as it’s the obvious location.  But the fact that it is so easy, accurate and cheap to use is compensation.

You just might want to cut your losses and move on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danny Boi said:

Ok so it is most likely sat-nav which is faulty, or somehow corrupted during the update (maybe before you got the car), or card contacts damaged. I guess there is slim chance that contacts are just dirty, but that is quite unlikely - you can try contact cleaner and carefully dab with the cotton buds (although the port is so small I am not sure how you get in there), then blow it with compressed air. I am not sure there is much else you can do, perhaps previous owner was switching cards for it to work in EU and UK and damaged something. In short it is only Lexus who can advise what is wrong. Now that car is 6 years old and Lexus Relax does not cover sat-nav (parts excluded -e. multimedia system), so it may be costly repair.

However as Len has said, Lexus navigation is very poor so I am not sure it is even worth fixing it. I know the feeling that it is annoying when something doesn't work, but in this case it is really not worth fixing it. I know there are entire replacement systems with android, which provides genuine look and wide-screen. The cost is ~£400-600 and perhaps that would be better way to go. 

e.g. https://www.dvdgpsnav.com/blog/10-25-lexus-rc-android-head-unit-hd-touch-screen-upgrade-factory-screen-replacement/

Not sure how long ago you got the car, but if not long ago you may be able to discuss this with seller and agree that they will cover the costs of repair (ideally replacement with android unit), or part of it. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi linas,

Thanks for the reply, after reading what you have written i think like you said the problem is intermittent.

The dealer i brought it from were kinda doggy.. sorry for the typo... when i took it for a test drive all was well and after they dropped it off the front discs and pads were gone also the front tyres were bold. when i raised an issue they said that it was my responsibility for checking the vehicle first, but being a car dealer its obvious its there matter as the car was with them for sometime. As for the sat nav... i dont think they really going to sort that out now i would not prefer to contact them again as i left them a very bad negative review on trust pilot and google... after all of this. i guess i will have to live with.

Well, you have statutory rights and you don't need to be friends with dealer to use them. Sat-nav is expected to be working, unless it is specifically listed in sales agreement that it does not. If it does not work then it is miss-selling and you can go directly to trading standards. 

In the end of the day it is up-to you, but note that sat-nav is not covered by Lexus warranty and could be expensive to fix (like thousands).