Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Television display on my 2022 ES

Hi all.

I've asked this question on the US Forum but no replies.

I would like to display live television on my ES navigation screen. Given that I can get this on my Iphone using BBC iPlayer or the ITV and Sky offerings and the ES has apple Carplay, I would have thought that there is a workaround.

No desire to fall foul of the law and would only use when stationary.

Can any of you guys help?

1 hour ago, Mike246 said:

I would like to display live television on my ES navigation screen. Given that I can get this on my iPhone using BBC iPlayer or the ITV and Sky offerings and the ES has Apple Carplay, I would have thought that there is a workaround.

The way you phrase that would suggest a problem of some sort, but you don't say what that problem is?

apple CarPlay and Android Auto are basically just apps that allow other apps to run inside them. Once in AC or AA, if the TV players aren't there, just go to the app store and install them as you normally would.

If that's not the problem you're experiencing, just let us know what it is.

2 hours ago, Mike246 said:

No desire to fall foul of the law and would only use when stationary.

Most marques that allow video to play on a dash mounted screen have an interlock that detects if the parking brake is on before allowing the function to operate.

Thanks to you both for your replies. It would appear that apple Carplay just allows a subset of the Iphone apps through to the navigation screen. As an example if I chose you use Waze for route planning, that would be allowed. It would seem that TV players are suppressed.

NemesisUK - thanks for your tip but this applies when the brake is on (selector in Park).

21 minutes ago, Mike246 said:

Thanks to you both for your replies. It would appear that Apple Carplay just allows a subset of the iPhone apps through to the navigation screen. As an example if I chose you use Waze for route planning, that would be allowed. It would seem that TV players are suppressed.

Having done a bit of Googling since your initial post, I can confirm that you are correct - AA and AC do indeed act as Nanny and inhibit TV players.

Peter (NemesisUK) is partially correct but not regarding AA or AC. The Lexus OEM system will allow playback of DVDs on the nav screen as long as the car is parked up, but once in motion the interlock operates to prevent it.

The Grom Vline 2 that I have does have access to AA and AC but you don't have to use them. The Grom is a stand-alone Android computer and you can download any app from the Play Store directly to the Grom and run it directly from there, without ever invoking or running AA or AC. This takes away the 'Nanny' aspect and relies on the common sense of the user to not have live TV/Video playing whilst driving.

Herbie,

Thanks for your response - and your wisdom.

It certainly seems that the Grom Vine 2 would do the job but it's over £ 500. I was hoping for a less-expensive workaround.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links