Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

K&N Filter IS220 Diesel

2AD FHV

Hi there,

I need a new air filter for my 2009 IS220d SE L. 

I've seen quite a few posts for IS250s with a K&N filter, but none for the IS220d.

Has anyone used a KN filter in the IS220d? Did it throw up any engine lights/codes, and do you think it helps the turbo breathe better, or is it a placebo effect?

Cheers

Some reusable air filters that need oil after maintenance, run the risk of this oil cantaminating the mass air flow sensor, resulting in false information to the engine computer.

Should this occur, you may have codes relating to the air fuel ratio.

• Like 1

Just get standard filter. I had K&N on IS250, but would not recommend it. First of all, it makes no difference, secondly it costs like 2.5x standard filters which are actually better, third it needs to be oiled and I suspect it contaminated my MAF. Basically it did everything bad that could have been expected in hindsight and no benefits over standard air filter.

• Like 2

OE spec air filter is far superior IMO

The K&N does have a following though especially when it is re-oiled with snake oil.     😉

• Like 1

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-is-phase-2-air-filter-2-5l-petrol/

I think they can be found even cheaper. I think the least I have paid for genuine filter was ~£18.50. The pattern filters are even cheaper £8-£11, they not as good as OEM, but I would argue better than K&N.

And by the way I am not saying K&N is not a good brand, or that their washable and reusable filters are bad products. However for IS250 (or even more IS220d) they just don't make any sense. The standard Lexus intake is not restrictive, the engine actually does not need very high flow air intake anyway, because it is naturally aspirated, so adding K&N adds no power, it barely makes a difference on intake sound and maintenance of the filter is just way more work than it is worth... and it doesn't even filter the air as well. 

However, if you have 1000HP Supra, or some high revving V10 BMW where very high flow intake is needed the K&N filter may be small but nice upgrade, say 10-20HP if the original set-up is restrictive at that power level, where at 200HP it just doesn't make a difference.

• Like 1

Because your car is a diesel I'll tell you of my experience with a K&N filter and airbox on a Ford focus 1.6 diesel I had. The only difference it made was to the intake noise. The airbox I bought had a removable plug to make it even louder. Only tolerated it for a few weeks. 

Save your money and buy genuine. 

• Like 1

As all tell you not to waste money on the filter it seems that you are recommended not to buy.

The pores in the filter are more open than is good for the engine as while it let more air in it also after a few hundred kilometres let more dirt in unless you put oil on it very often.

These filters are for competition. Before each track day you wash it and put fresh oil on it and though it is marketed as being lasting longer than a standard filter it is more expensive when being used as the K&N oil does not come free.

I have worked in a company selling the filters.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links