Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Jumped in the car this afternoon to be greeted with the dreaded "check VSC" message on the dash. 🤦‍♂️ Traction and engine light are illuminated (not sure what it's trying to tell me),

The car starts and drives fine and all electrics still work. I had a look at the engine and nothing seems out of the ordinary, (not that I know what looking for haha.) I did top up the oil though as needed but nothing changed unfortunately.

Any ideas what it could be? what's the best/worst case scenario here? 

I always use shell V Power but my last 2 fill ups have been with Tesco's Momentum (99ron) could it related? 

Would you still drive the car in the meantime? like I said it seems fine, still silky smooth and shifts fine, (was serviced by Lexus in January) but I've only driven it 5 miles since the light came on... 

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated? 

Cheers guys

vsc.jpg

15 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

You need to read the codes and see what code you get - check VSC can mean literally million different things. 

ahh ok, thanks Linas.

So I'll need one of those code readers for that right? 

Will something like this do the job?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foseal-Reader-Scanner-Display-Screen/dp/B07RQCP5PY/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=car+code+reader&qid=1650984400&sprefix=car+code%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-6

That would do the trick. Or you can get readers which connect to your phone via Bluetooth, then you use the app 'Torque' to read codes and get other info.

In the meantime, try changing the Battery in the key. That is sometimes the cause of 'Check VSC'.

• Like 2

As above

also check:

a) Petrol cap is tight

b) Check around air filter and housing to ensure nothing is loose.

I've had this twice, first was upstream oxygen sensor, 2nd was loose clamp on air intake

• Like 2

5 hours ago, eleveneleven said:

ahh ok, thanks Linas.

So I'll need one of those code readers for that right? 

Will something like this do the job?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foseal-Reader-Scanner-Display-Screen/dp/B07RQCP5PY/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=car+code+reader&qid=1650984400&sprefix=car+code%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-6

Yes that would do, or as others suggested Bluetooth module + phone app.

From my personal experience I have seen this because of gearbox solenoids performance, because of oxygen sensor, Battery voltage, I have seen the case where the Battery box was removed and Battery temp sensor was close to exhaust and this triggered Battery temp code, it could even be something like momentary misfire (although that should clear after 3 starts if error does not repeat). But I would not want to guess and lead you onto wrong path before you have the code, as the code would give you more definitive area to look at. 

• Like 1

Thanks Guys 

I've replaced batteries in both key fobs, checked fuel cap and air intake as suggested still no joy. 😒

@agent_dess mileage is 83k so i'm hoping like yours it's just the Oxygen sensor and nothing more serious...

I've ordered a Bluetooth obd scanner it arrives today so i'll keep you posted.

- Anyone know where the OBD port is? 
- Is it still drivable in the meantime? it seems fine so far but id rather it not let me down on the motorway with the kids in the back.

39 minutes ago, eleveneleven said:

Thanks Guys 

I've replaced batteries in both key fobs, checked fuel cap and air intake as suggested still no joy. 😒

@agent_dess mileage is 83k so i'm hoping like yours it's just the Oxygen sensor and nothing more serious...

I've ordered a Bluetooth obd scanner it arrives today so i'll keep you posted.

- Is it still drivable in the meantime? it seems fine so far but id rather it not let me down on the motorway with the kids in the back.

At 83k you are due the oxygen sensor replacement, there 2 that you will need to replace.

I would not venture too far while you have the issue.

OBD port is in driver footwell, look underneath you will see an obd-ii cover pull it to reveal the port.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eleveneleven said:

Lexus OBD-II Diagnostic Port Location

(I think it is RX in the picture, but same place on IS), it should have cover on it as well if never been used before. Kind of helps to lay down on your back in footwell for the first time until you figure which way it goes in. Try not to push it too hard either as it may go into the panel and then difficult to fish it out.

Yes the car should be drivable, I mean I would try to avoid it if possible, but that is being overly cautious.

You will need app for OBD2 adapter, I think Torque is free to scan, but I believe you need to buy Pro version for like £6 to clear the codes. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys. 

Plugged in the scanner and connected to torque pro via my phone. Performed a scan (multiple times) and it's not coming up with any error codes. There's a section where you can check the O2 sensors and according to the app everything is fine there too.

It did allow me to clear the error (even though no error came up) and that removed the VSC light for a short while, but it came back on about 15 miles later. 

so I'm slightly more confused than I was before....The cars still running fine but I have noticed whilst I'm cruising sometimes there's a slight feel of the car slowing down like it's braking without me applying the brakes if that makes sense. It's only occasional but I can feel it when it happens. I've never noticed it before but not been looking out for errors so it might just be me. 

This does happen sometimes, but that is not ideal from perspective of troubleshooting.

When you clear the code, does it come back straight away when you start the engine, or only once you start driving?

3 hours ago, eleveneleven said:

Thanks guys. 

Plugged in the scanner and connected to torque pro via my phone. Performed a scan (multiple times) and it's not coming up with any error codes. There's a section where you can check the O2 sensors and according to the app everything is fine there too.

It did allow me to clear the error (even though no error came up) and that removed the VSC light for a short while, but it came back on about 15 miles later. 

so I'm slightly more confused than I was before....The cars still running fine but I have noticed whilst I'm cruising sometimes there's a slight feel of the car slowing down like it's braking without me applying the brakes if that makes sense. It's only occasional but I can feel it when it happens. I've never noticed it before but not been looking out for errors so it might just be me. 

I wouldn't worry too much if the car is running happy. My VSC light comes on every now and then. I feel like mainly in winter it'd come on frequently but now that it's warmer, it's been off for 2 months.. Had this for just over a year. Error code s P420 (I think?) Bank 1 & 2 cat below efficiency which is possible that they're on the way out because the first time it came on was in Jan/Feb last year when we had a bit of snow and I was messing about in the car park red lining the car for quite some time 😂 my mate's cat in his GT86 failed on the track - again under harsh conditions.. not to mention my car is verging on 170,000 miles now so the cat will not last forever. (btw I'm also using momentum)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

This does happen sometimes, but that is not ideal from perspective of troubleshooting.

When you clear the code, does it come back straight away when you start the engine, or only once you start driving?

Cleared it twice now. The first time it came back whilst driving about 15 miles. Cleared it again this morning after another few fault scans and I've done 1 short journey today (about 3 miles) 

@H3XME Thanks buddy. So when yours comes on do you just keep clearing it with the scan tool? 

Screenshot_20220429-134845_Torque.jpg

Screenshot_20220429-134853_Torque.jpg

Screenshot_20220429-134909_Torque.jpg

Not sure just clearing it is a solution. If it would be O2 sensor I would expect the error to appear right away as soon as you turn on the engine, that it only appears after driving I would be guessing it looks more like gearbox solenoid issue (but it could be something else). Gearbox solenoid issues would need to be addressed as it could turn into very expensive issue (gearbox replacement).

I it unfortunate that code scanner does not show what code it is, not sure what else to advise apart of going to service where they have professional scanner to see what it is. 

45 minutes ago, eleveneleven said:

@H3XME Thanks buddy. So when yours comes on do you just keep clearing it with the scan tool? 

Yeah, I just clear it, but it's not a solution. Although I'm not really sure I'd call it a problem either.. Something isn't right but it's not causing anything. I don't know about your case, but in my case it is P420&430 bank 1 & 2 catalytic converter below efficiency - so I think it's just the cats are on the way out. Slowly dying but it could be something as simple as o2 sensor that's right by them.. Either way, the car works as it should so it's not bothering me. 

On 4/29/2022 at 4:33 PM, H3XME said:

Yeah, I just clear it, but it's not a solution. Although I'm not really sure I'd call it a problem either.. Something isn't right but it's not causing anything. I don't know about your case, but in my case it is P420&430 bank 1 & 2 catalytic converter below efficiency - so I think it's just the cats are on the way out. Slowly dying but it could be something as simple as o2 sensor that's right by them.. Either way, the car works as it should so it's not bothering me. 

That does sounds like both of sensors, 1 on each side of the engine.

On 4/29/2022 at 4:23 PM, Linas.P said:

Not sure just clearing it is a solution. If it would be O2 sensor I would expect the error to appear right away as soon as you turn on the engine, that it only appears after driving I would be guessing it looks more like gearbox solenoid issue (but it could be something else). Gearbox solenoid issues would need to be addressed as it could turn into very expensive issue (gearbox replacement).

I it unfortunate that code scanner does not show what code it is, not sure what else to advise apart of going to service where they have professional scanner to see what it is. 

If you clear the codes, you also clear the ECU's check logs of the various sensors, Cat performance etc etc - it'll therefore take a few trips or a certain distance before all the checks have re-completed and the ECU will be able to spot and flag up an issue. From memory, the O2 sensor check cycle takes either two or three trips (and moved from closed loop) before it's complete; with Cats, I believe they have to have been up to temperature for while.

Hi everybody. I have a problem with Lexus Is250  07reg engine 4GR FSE, start button always red, not green, so no start, no cranc. No faults at all.  I am professional mechanik. If you guys have the same car, could you  please scan immo ecu and check for me 2 parameters of your IS250: "EFI Code Recieve" and "EFI communication"???

Mine says "No good"

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links