Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 fuel tank replacement?

Hi there.

I got some sad news today and was told that I will need to replace my fuel tank. 😞

Big bill!!!

It seems there is no chance of an aftermarket part and needs to be Lexus? I was also not successful in finding a suitable used one. The labour is intense on this and doubles the price. 😞

I guess the IS250 has an unique tank and shares with no other Lexus or Toyota? Tank, heat shield and the holders all must be changed. Rust! 😭

Has anybody needed to do this? Is it an usual repair? Is it worth it? 

• Sad 1

That is certainly very unusual (I even reckon this is first IS250 in the world to need this done) - why do you need to replace your fuel tank?

As for cars which shares it - yeah there won't be many - IS300 and 350, not sure if IS-F uses same one. But point is - none of those cars are more common, nor cheaper.

As for used ones - I am quite confident there must be many IS250 being sold as parts by now, but for aftermarket I am sure there are none made, it would be quite unusual to find aftermarket fuel tank for any make, they just usually don't go bad so market for replacement is non-existent. 

• Like 2

Very rare problem indeed and I would deffo go with a used part ( a new one will be ££££’s if available!) 

where in the world has this car been living/used for this to occur? And is it fatal rust damage ( over zealous garage inspection) or just surface rust that could be treated to prevent fatal damage?

• Like 1

Wow. If the petrol tank and shields have rusted that badly then what would concern me very much is just where else has it rusted beyond repair? I'd get a full inspection done coz I'd suspect there's plenty more killer rust on that car especially where its come from and spent most of its life there I'd suspect. 

• Like 2

This is what I asked. But apparently all else is salvable. Suspension and axles will be ridded of rust and wax sealed. The body is solid and has not rust. Not even on arches. It's really strange how the tank and shield rusted. But the garage told me after this is done. Replacing tank, shield and getting rid of the rust on the rest and sealing it, and the car will be solid. Doesn't sound right?

That sounds ok. So they're going to get rid of the rust then put a wax coating on? That sounds good and expensive. Personally I'd get them to wire brush all the rust then apply one of those rust remedies like Kurust. It's a chemical which transforms rust to a safe strong state and then wax over it.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, they are charging me enough. :) 

But if the car will be solid and as good as new underneath after it's done, I think it's worth it. I really like the car and enjoy driving it. Every time I pass a BWW or Audi I'm glad I have my Lexus.  It gets lots of looks too as they are very rare around here. This week I finally seen another for the first time since I bought mine. 

My MOT is basically hanging on having this done too. But apart from that, there is nothing else. The mechanics are tip top. Engine, gearbox, clutch, breaks, and the car in general is in great shape. Seats look like new. Car is loaded with every option. Leather, heated and cooled seats, navi, cruise control, I think every option on the book.  Drives like a dream. Even the mechanic said so. 

So even though when I got the news and the price I was a bit hesitant, specially that my cars has some miles on it, after I drove it home I made my mind I would invest the money. It reminded me of how well it drives, how fun and how comfortable it is.  I love the car and if I let it go, I would have to end up in a BMW of some sort. As I will not find another like mine so easy. It was hard to find it. So nope. Love me my Lexus! I will keep it. Specially if I can find a used tank with shield in good shape. Should considerably reduce the price of this. But even if I have to buy new.

By the way, does it matter the year model the tank comes from? And will the diesel tanks fit? Or they are different? Or it's not recommended to use the diesel tank because of other reasons?

• Like 1

I'm not sure if the diesel tank is the same, maybe start a new thread as you'll have more of a chance of an answer.

I'm wondering if it's possible to actually repair your tank. I know it's possible to re-line a petrol tank. As for the shield. Can it not be cleaned up and a metal patch welded where the hole is? Ask the mechanic and do some research. 

As for used, there's a Lexus breakers in Accrington. I know they have quite a few Lexus cars, I've actually been there in person for a couple of trim pieces. Look them up as they do post items.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

I'm not sure if the diesel tank is the same, maybe start a new thread as you'll have more of a chance of an answer.

I'm wondering if it's possible to actually repair your tank. I know it's possible to re-line a petrol tank. As for the shield. Can it not be cleaned up and a metal patch welded where the hole is? Ask the mechanic and do some research. 

As for used, there's a Lexus breakers in Accrington. I know they have quite a few Lexus cars, I've actually been there in person for a couple of trim pieces. Look them up as they do post items.

The tank may fit, but I am not sure it uses same pump and other bits, besides not sure if it is good idea to use diesel tank in petrol car. I guess in theory if it is cleaned very well... but if there is even a little bit of diesel left in some corner it could end-up quite badly. Other thing - there is possibility diesel tank uses different coating inside from petrol tank. In short that it fits does not automatically mean it is good idea to use it. 

As well, I think it should be possible to refurbish the tank if it is rusted from outside (which I assume it is). Unless it is so rusted out that it already leaks I can't see why can't it be cleaned, coated and put back in to the car. I would be very interested to see that tank and why the shop advising to replace it - sounds a bit extreme to me. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 10:12 PM, Mr Vlad said:

It seems the tank is the same, as I have seen new tanks online listed as for IS 220, 200, 250 and 350. The pump might be the same. But if the tank is the same, the attachment for the pump must be the same, so I can just use my own pump.

The shield has a hole trough it. 😞 

On 4/30/2022 at 10:46 PM, Linas.P said:

The tank may fit, but I am not sure it uses same pump and other bits, besides not sure if it is good idea to use diesel tank in petrol car. I guess in theory if it is cleaned very well... but if there is even a little bit of diesel left in some corner it could end-up quite badly. Other thing - there is possibility diesel tank uses different coating inside from petrol tank. In short that it fits does not automatically mean it is good idea to use it. 

As well, I think it should be possible to refurbish the tank if it is rusted from outside (which I assume it is). Unless it is so rusted out that it already leaks I can't see why can't it be cleaned, coated and put back in to the car. I would be very interested to see that tank and why the shop advising to replace it - sounds a bit extreme to me. 

If the tank is the same, the pump must attach to it, even if a different pump. My pump is still ok.

About using a diesel tank in a petrol car, leaving the tank tipped over to drain, if it hasn't already surely would drain all diesel and the wetness would evaporate with some days? It's fuel after all. Not sure if it could be flushed somehow too. Even if not flushed, we would be then talking about just fumes rather than actual diesel in there? Plus, diesel in a petrol car is not fatal as petrol in a diesel car right? And it wouldn't be actual liquid in there anyhow? It's just that I haven't been able to locate a petrol filter yet, but located several diesel tanks for great prices. 

As for refurbishing, if that was an option, or something they were willing to do, I think they would bring it up right. 

No I think it is opposite - diesel in petrol makes more damage than other way around (when we talking about amounts which may remain in tank), especially when it comes to modern injected cars. "damage" I guess it is not right word, more like plugs lines and injectors. Diesel is like oil - so it doesn't "dry", I think at very least I would flush the tank with petrol few times. There is no such thing as petrol filter - only strainer at the bottom of the filter. 

Have you seen the tank yourself - why exactly it has to be replaced, or can't be repaired? I mean I am sure there will be surface rust, but that is hardly something that would make it beyond repair. 

• Like 2

On 5/4/2022 at 11:55 AM, Linas.P said:

No I think it is opposite - diesel in petrol makes more damage than other way around (when we talking about amounts which may remain in tank), especially when it comes to modern injected cars. "damage" I guess it is not right word, more like plugs lines and injectors. Diesel is like oil - so it doesn't "dry", I think at very least I would flush the tank with petrol few times. There is no such thing as petrol filter - only strainer at the bottom of the filter. 

Have you seen the tank yourself - why exactly it has to be replaced, or can't be repaired? I mean I am sure there will be surface rust, but that is hardly something that would make it beyond repair. 

I did a bit of digging and found this old Fifth gear video: 

It tests both, diesel in a petrol car and petrol in a diesel car. The Petrol car running on diesel started jerking a bit after a while. But once petrol was put again in the tank again it went back to normal. Even mixed with the leftover diesel. And here we are talking about 5 litres of diesel in the petrol tank. Instead of a few "possible" drops or possibly only the fumes. The video seems to imply garages are ripping people off when they say you need to replace the whole fuel system including lines, pump, filter and tank. Both cars went back to normal after they were filled with the correct stuff.

About seeing my tank, I only saw photos of under the car. I wasn't there when they lifted the car up. Here are the photos. You can see a hole on the heat shield:

tank.jpg

• Like 1

I have seen same video. Although I would like to point out that cars they have used were beaters from early 90s, not exactly comparable in complexity to what is relatively modern Lexus, direct injection etc. But I take your point - the residue of diesel will be small enough not to matter... probably. 

From the picture I am struggling to figure out if the big rust hole is in the shield or is it in a tank. At least to me it seems that shield is gone, but it needs to be removed before the tank can be inspected. 

The hole is definitely on the shield. But from up close they can see parts of the tank and I guess by they experience they judged it needs replacement. I don't see a reason for them to lie. Specially that I might just ask to see my old tank after they replace it. And arguing with them would probably bring little benefit as they said I need to replace it to get a MOT. No tank, no MOT. Which basically means I need to bin the car. 

Surprised the tank is steel and not plastic, do Lexus still use steel tanks on current cars?

Unless my Gen 4 RX has a steel tank pretty sure the last time I had a car with a steel tank was a 1980 Vauxhall Cavalier.

20 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Surprised the tank is steel and not plastic, do Lexus still use steel tanks on current cars?

Unless my Gen 4 RX has a steel tank pretty sure the last time I had a car with a steel tank was a 1980 Vauxhall Cavalier.

To be honest, I was also surprised.

Yes I can't figure out in picture, if the red part is part of tank, then I kind of see why they would like to replace to, but from picture it is not clear if it is tank or shield.

However, if the tank looks like area in green, then it is just surface rust.

image.thumb.png.6ae43fdf4909502e7ebea701f0b2280e.png

I am pretty sure the tank is metal, but from outside it is covered in rubberised paint and inside looks like some sort of ceramic coating. 

Indeed. I'm positive that the red part is the tank. It's definitely not on the shield but on whatever is bellow it, which I would think can only be the tank. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lexutor - may I ask how much a new tank costs please. I’ve got an is220d and it’s leaking on the weld between the two halves of the tank [rust] . Apparently it’s a regular thing . One of the main reasons tanks fail is people use injector cleaner which destroys the tanks liner. One mechanic stated jb weld putty is a brilliant solution for leaky tanks if done correctly. 
With your car did they only suggest replacing the heat shield and new tank? Kind Regards John

On 5/4/2022 at 10:55 AM, Linas.P said:

Petrol in a diesel would destroy the diesel pump. But a little diesel in a petrol engine shouldn't do anything. But I think a diesel tank would have different fittings, for a diesel pump is completely different to a petrol pump 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links