Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus IS 250 brake caliper movement too much?!

Fikamika

Hello everyone,

Tried looking for something similar but havent really found any exact...

In need for a bit of help which really does my head in... so car is 2008 IS 250 102k miles, bought car 6 months ago and the noise is probably been around ever since and the movement too, after getting to work 12 miles A road, highway and a bit of traffic due to road work, so brakes sort of operating temp by the time get to work, park up, correct the parking, so very slowly steering and braking at the same time, and it is just makes horrible noise almost like cracking, poping noise, I made a little video of the caliper I recon something isn't right with, since only one caliper does this, I know floating calipers should move etc. bit this cant be right. Funny enough couple weeks ago went to a place where the road was quite steep and had traffic so brake, roll, brake roll (engine brake wan't enough) and so the brakes got quite hot, so hot by the time I got to the street I had to turn in as a was braking and turning that popping cracking noise just got extremely loud. Should I take caliper off grease pins if needed replace and I'm also not sure about the shims they do look rusty so not sure if pads moving makes the sound or the caliper movement or both. Sorry if it doesnt makes sense but its just how I would describe this. Please check out the video, any help appreciated. https://youtube.com/shorts/1_cCh727pFI?feature=share

It is accepted that ( like some other cars) the calipers should be given some attention periodically ( not on any Lexus service schedule though!) to maintain them in good working order ( at least every time brake friction is renewed) 

I would suggest that you go in and check all slide pins are still serviceable and that pads are discs are wearing evenly and give it all a good lubing, something that Should be done every year in my eyes to stave off having to replace calipers.

As I mentioned above servicing of calipers is not something Lexus includes in their Schedule but they will fit new ones when they fail through lack of maintenance🙄

• Like 1

That caliper shouldn't move like that unless something is very wrong. Personally I'd not drive the car like that until problem solved. The only time I've ever experienced that caliper action was because the brake pads were so worn so check them out. Possibly the mounting bolts are loose. The front calipers don't have the same slide pin issue the rear ones have but definitely take the calipers off and service the pins (get new shims first)

• Thanks 1

As other said - something is very wrong with your left calliper. It could move very slightly side to said (like 0.5mm), but not in other directions. So basically your right calliper is fine, it moves just a little and it seems like it was replaced, but your left one is completely gone and needs attention asap.

• 2 months later...

I have just sorted the same thing on my IS it is the caliper slide pins worn , it may be they have worn badly and damaged the carrier but in y case the pins sorted it . it is worth trying new pins they come with seals and correct grease around £25 a set to do both sides these are front only . Rears are different.

Part numbers are on the card in pics, these are not Lexus items I don't think Lexus supply them without a carrier.

FB_IMG_1660857260679.jpg

FB_IMG_1660857265808.jpg

FB_IMG_1660857271134.jpg

FB_IMG_1660857274890.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links