Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Is200 Is Back At The Dealer

My car has gone back to the dealer today (Lexus Leeds) for a load of work that was promised to me when I agreed to buy the car and then forgotten about when I eventually bought the car a few weeks ago. I just thought I'd share my experiences so far.

I sent an email listing exactly what I wanted fixing when I booked the car in last week...

aircon - smells and doesn't seem to work properly (takes ages to warm up then sometimes blows cold when it shouldn't).

worn steering wheel badge - most of the paint has rubbed off.

"clicking" wiper blades - possible motor problem or maybe just needs new blades?

"squeaky" clutch pedal (typical toyota/lexus fault)

"clunky" gearbox from first to second (typical toyota/lexus fault)

Handbrake doesn't hold the car on steep hills.

Missing floormats.

Lots of scratches and stonechips.

Private plates still to be fitted (I still don't have the V5 for the car which now starting to get a bit worrying).

When I spoke to one of the sales people about the work I was told that the guy who fixes the stonechip only visits the dealerships on Wednesdays so it had to be today but unfortunately the sales guy who I've been dealing with when I bought the car would be on a training course today so I'd need to deal with servicing direct.

Anyway, I drop the car off at servicing and all they have on the job sheet is "aircon - smells", no mention of any of the other jobs at all, and the service manager informs me that the painter probably won't be visiting the dealership today either.

NOT IMPRESSED :angry:

Luckilly I had printed out a copy of the email listing all of the above and left that with them. It will be interesting to see how much they have done when I go to pick the car up later on today.

Okay, the dealer had the car all day so I was hoping they would have managed to sort out most if not all of the problems...

aircon : smells like a tarts bedroom now - I like it!!! (they set off one of those aircon bombs in the car which seems to have fixed the problem). :)

worn steering wheel badge : they refused to replace it - "the badge is actually part of the airbag cover so it's a big job to change it". Looks like I'm stuck with it.

"clicking" wiper blades : they said they'd fixed it, tried it in the car park before setting off for home, still clicked. I decided that I'd probably never get Lexus to fix this so I visited Halfords and bought a new pair of blades (Bosch ones) just in case it's a problem with the Lexus ones. Seemed okay with the new blades, I'll see what happens next time it rains.

"squeaky" clutch pedal : this is actually a bigger problem than I thought (my old SW20 used to do this and all it needed was a bit of oil on the spring every now and then). Lexus need to replace part of the clutch but luckily it's under warranty.

"clunky" gearbox from first to second : "this is a feature of the IS200" ie. no chance of ever getting it fixed - not a big deal I suppose.

Handbrake doesn't hold the car on steep hills - Fixed!! :)

Missing floormats - still missing :angry:

Lots of scratches and stonechips : *NONE* of these were touched - the car was dirtier when I picked it up than when I dropped it off (even though Lexus said they'd give it a valet once they had finished) - possibly to hide the fact that nothing had been done to it maybe? So the car is going to have to go back for a third time :angry::angry::angry::angry:

I think the next time I take it in I'll draw a big picture of the car and mark exactly where all the scratches and stonechips are!!!

If they still don't fix the scratches and stonechips then I suppose a call to Chips Away or Sprint Finish is in order.

Private plates : FITTED!!! B) :D B) :D B) :D

Basically, the usual dealer treatment - ask for 10 things and they'll do 6.... Ask for 6 things and they'll do 3... until you eventually give up asking... not really what I was expecting from the "JD Power number 1".

"clunky" gearbox from first to second : "this is a feature of the IS200" ie. no chance of ever getting it fixed - not a big deal I suppose.

B*llo**s - had mine replaced under warranty about 4 months ago. I'm sure a few people on here have had gearboxes replaced as well.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem on my first ( 99 V ) IS 200 together with that well know clutch judder. Lexus said they had modified the gearbox and all new cars in production were getting the 'new' gearbox so they fitted one to my car to cure the clutch problem. The 1st to 2nd gear change got worse and the clutch judder remained.

I can't fault Lexus in their attempts to fix it though only in the design problem which should never have been there

Okay, the dealer had the car all day so I was hoping they would have managed to sort out most if not all of the problems...

aircon : smells like a tarts bedroom now - I like it!!! (they set off one of those aircon bombs in the car which seems to have fixed the problem).  :)

worn steering wheel badge : they refused to replace it - "the badge is actually part of the airbag cover so it's a big job to change it". Looks like I'm stuck with it..........i have an airbag pad with the badge on it

"clicking" wiper blades : they said they'd fixed it, tried it in the car park before setting off for home, still clicked. I decided that I'd probably never get Lexus to fix this so I visited Halfords and bought a new pair of blades (Bosch ones) just in case it's a problem with the Lexus ones. Seemed okay with the new blades, I'll see what happens next time it rains.common problem, tip:bend/twist the drivers blade slightly......

"squeaky" clutch pedal : this is actually a bigger problem than I thought (my old SW20 used to do this and all it needed was a bit of oil on the spring every now and then). Lexus need to replace part of the clutch but luckily it's under warranty.

"clunky" gearbox from first to second : "this is a feature of the IS200" ie. no chance of ever getting it fixed - not a big deal I suppose.no such thing as a feature, there is a known problem

Handbrake doesn't hold the car on steep hills - Fixed!!  :)

Missing floormats - still missing  :angry:

Lots of scratches and stonechips : *NONE* of these were touched - the car was  dirtier when I picked it up than when I dropped it off (even though Lexus said they'd give it a valet once they had finished) - possibly to hide the fact that nothing had been done to it maybe? So the car is going to have to go back for a third time  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I think the next time I take it in I'll draw a big picture of the car and mark exactly where all the scratches and stonechips are!!!

If they still don't fix the scratches and stonechips then I suppose a call to Chips Away or Sprint Finish is in order.

Private plates : FITTED!!!    B)  :D  B)  :D  B)  :D

Basically, the usual dealer treatment - ask for 10 things and they'll do 6.... Ask for 6 things and they'll do 3... until you eventually give up asking... not really what I was expecting from the "JD Power number 1".

let me know if you have any problems understanding anything i have put

Since my last post the car has been back to the dealer again.

Aircon : it's lost that perfumey smell and gone back to a sort of musty old socks smell so I'm guessing they just sprayed something into the vents rather than actually cleaning anything. I might have a go with one of those gas bombs to see if that makes any difference.

wiper blades : Bosch ones doing well, no problems with them so far.

Worn steering wheel badge : I'm guessing that even if I bought the airbag pad from you Supracharged-IS340 I'd still have major problems getting it fitted so I think I'll just give up on this one. Many thanks for the offer though, it's much appreciated.

Squeaky clutch pedal : fixed! It needed a new master cylinder. I still don't understand why the RAC inspection and Lexus pre-delivery inspection/service didn't pick this up. I'm not bothered now the car is fixed though.

clunky gearbox (1st to 2nd) : weird, this seems to have gone away. I was driving in this morning and the car never clunked once. Is the clunking affected by the outside temperature or something?

Missing floormats : Dealer offered to sell me a set of mats at "cost price" of 80 quid!!! I told 'em where to stick 'em and bought a set of cheapies from Halfords (which actually seem to suit the car quite well).

Stonechips and scratches : Some of these have now been fixed. I can't be bothered taking the car back again and most of the ones that are left aren't really that noticeable (I know they're there but no one else does!!).

So, either the problems have been fixed (by me or the dealer) or I've just given up trying to get them sorted.

The latest bombshell to hit - I've received my Lexus warranty through the post, it has a different policy number to the one I signed in the dealership and it expires next March (whereas the one I signed in the dealership when I picked the car up expires in Sept 2005) - I'm just waiting for the Lexus Warranty Sales office to open at 9am so I can find out what they're playing at.

clunky gearbox (1st to 2nd) : weird, this seems to have gone away. I was driving in this morning and the car never clunked once. Is the clunking affected by the outside temperature or something?

Normally worse in cold weather.

i find that when i let the revs drop the gear charge is smooth no knock n grind

so i am Happy Now

But i am getting my Cambelt changed next week car on 85k

i know the dealer says 100k but better to be safe than sorry

ps best of luck with the car now its yours you will treat it well :D

My gearbox is clunk-o-mania.. I just have to put the windows down and drive in a quiet road to hear it..

Plus the engine is quite clickety, another "characteristic" I s'pose ;)

I can't be bothered to make a fuss with the dealer, am worried they'll make things worse as they have done for some others.

I'm saving up the readies for the new IS200! :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links