Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone ever upset their passenger SRS airbag? (LS460)

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

I can attest to that as I used my little knowledge to install a GROM Vline 2 in my 07 LS460.

It was a partial success in that the system is working and is great.

It was a small disaster in that I have:

- Triggered a dashboard warning for my SRS Passenger Airbag

- Somehow made it impossible to open my boot via any button (now have to use manual key slot)

I think I must have either:

- Blown a fuse (though I've looked up fuses and can't find any that obviously fit the bill)

- Cut / pinched some wiring (not impossible as I manipulated glovebox a little, which has an airbag panel in it)

So I've got a some questions.

A general one - Is anyone as dense as I am (with experience of having done similar and fixed it)?

A more specific one to help me troubleshoot - When you turn your LS, do both passenger airbag lights illuminate (i.e. 'Passenger Airbag disabled' and 'Passenger Airbag enabled, adults only')? Mine both illuminate at first, and I'm not sure if that's new.

Best,

Oli

Mmmmh, not familiar with the LS460 but I had an issue with the electrics and ECU’s on my 1998 LS400. I did something while driving which confused the electronics, central locking didn’t work, most of the windows wouldn’t work, steering adjustment didn’t work plus other bits. Disconnecting the Battery for 5 mins and connecting again reset everything and all was good after. It will have reset the numerous body ECU’s that were confused by what I did.
Maybe installing the Grom thing has had a similar effect and disconnecting the Battery for a while and reconnecting will sort it, if not already done and if it’s ok to do this on an LS460 without causing any issues.

16 minutes ago, Razor61 said:

Mmmmh, not familiar with the LS460 but I had an issue with the electrics and ECU’s on my 1998 LS400. I did something while driving which confused the electronics, central locking didn’t work, most of the windows wouldn’t work, steering adjustment didn’t work plus other bits. Disconnecting the battery for 5 mins and connecting again reset everything and all was good after. It will have reset the numerous body ECU’s that were confused by what I did.
Maybe installing the Grom thing has had a similar effect and disconnecting the battery for a while and reconnecting will sort it, if not already done and if it’s ok to do this on an LS460 without causing any issues.

Thanks very much - that's good to know. It's entirely possible I confused the car with what I did. Definitely confused myself with it at points 🙂

Haven't tried disconnecting Battery, but it's on the list!

First course of action is to go back over the work you did checking for trapped wiring or dislodged plugs from sockets.

Did you move the front passenger seat back for better access? There are SRS connectors under the seat.

SRS connectors are generally yellow plugs/sockets and wiring so easy to spot.

If you do find something disconnect the Battery and leave for 10 minutes to discharge the airbag system or something may go off in your face.

After that Techstream diagnostics.

• Like 2

You must always disconnect negative terminal of Battery when working around panels with airbags. Try that now to see if the airbag light goes away.

There is a trunk lock button in the glovebox which you might have accidentally pressed.

• Like 2

Had some time to take a further look at things on the weekend:

- Boot was indeed because I'd accidentally pressed the trunk lock in the glovebox (as Exdee suggested). Doh.

- Another strange issue I was experiencing (couldn't control rear blinds from front) was because I'd not properly plugged relevant cable back in. Doh again.

- Airbag issue persists, despite disconnecting Battery for 10 mins.

Re: airbag, the code being thrown is a B1816 which means, 'Open In Front Passenger Side Squib 2nd Step Circuit'.

Are there any resources through which I could find out where the wiring for that circuit is? Would help me in narrowing down what I could take another look at (or get someone more accomplished to take a look at)?

Thanks for all help so far - much appreciated!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links