Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2014 RX450H first spot of rust and leather seats starting to show wear

I gave my beauty her annual in and out super duper detailing like I've been doing every year on her birthday month. And I was beyond distressed to find a spot of rust on the front passenger entry. I know it is not such a big deal but I feel like I felt when my first wrinkles started to appear. Is this something I can diy do you guys think or would I be better taking it to someone? 

Also my leather seats are starting to show their age any products that you recommend to spruce them up a little? I have conditioned them regularly since the beginning with Auto Glym leather conditioner but I am now thinking maybe a UV protector would have been better?

IMG_5940.jpg

IMG_5941.jpg

IMG_5943.jpg

IMG_5944.jpg

Weird place for a rust spot when it’s not directly subject to road crud and salt. 

Have you checked the door seal in the same area for any lodged stones or grit which may have abraded the paint through?

No spillages like cola in the area, that stuff seems to eat through anything

The sill cover needs to come off to determine the full extent but if it has not spread under it take it back to clean metal, prime and touch up paint.

For the seats maybe a coloured leather restorer product which would help fill in the tiny cracks and blend in the rest.

• Like 4

What Steve said... +, it looks to me like that plastic sill cover has worn through the paint and rust has started, I bet it has a moulding flash line under that edge, remove the trim, carefully remove a few mm from that area so it doesn't dig in, scrape all the rust off very carefully and then treat it and touch it in with a touchup stick and it should be barely noticeable...

• Like 1

I can recommend Furniture Clinic's leather repair paint for the seats. It's easy to apply, just wipe it on with a sponge and leave to dry.  Have used it on my current and previous cars and am very pleased with it. They do a colour match from colur code or send in a sample.

I also use 303 protectant on the seats and plastics.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Weird place for a rust spot when it’s not directly subject to road crud and salt. 

Have you checked the door seal in the same area for any lodged stones or grit which may have abraded the paint through?

No spillages like cola in the area, that stuff seems to eat through anything

The sill cover needs to come off to determine the full extent but if it has not spread under it take it back to clean metal, prime and touch up paint.

For the seats maybe a coloured leather restorer product which would help fill in the tiny cracks and blend in the rest.

So weird right? I do think that it would have had to be the seal but cannot see anything obvious so we will have to keep an eye when it gets wet. No Cola spills, it's mainly me that drives it and very rarely carry passengers (no children). Thank you 

19 hours ago, Haylands said:

What Steve said... +, it looks to me like that plastic sill cover has worn through the paint and rust has started, I bet it has a moulding flash line under that edge, remove the trim, carefully remove a few mm from that area so it doesn't dig in, scrape all the rust off very carefully and then treat it and touch it in with a touchup stick and it should be barely noticeable...

Thanks Pete, I will get my very own Pete to see to it 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Malc said:

what's your mileage ....  has some bearing on the leather wear factors too :wink3:

Malc

74k, I am a 10 stone curvy girl so it could be the fact that my weight distribution in bottom heavy  LOL

13 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

I can recommend Furniture Clinic's leather repair paint for the seats. It's easy to apply, just wipe it on with a sponge and leave to dry.  Have used it on my current and previous cars and am very pleased with it. They do a colour match from colur code or send in a sample.

I also use 303 protectant on the seats and plastics.

Thank you so much Bill, I will look into it, a member from the Facebook Owners Group recomdended Buffalo repair kit but I don't seem to find much about it. I am also a fan of 303 products but I never added them to my leather. I shall start.

The leather needs a good cleaner and sealant. Dodo Juice leather kit is very good and easy to use. It will make the lines in the leather look much improved.

I would probably say that the Autoglym conditioner has likely increased wear on that bolster to be honest. Modern leather does not need conditioning and all it does is simply attract dirt and dust. 

25 minutes ago, rayaans said:

The leather needs a good cleaner and sealant. Dodo Juice leather kit is very good and easy to use. It will make the lines in the leather look much improved.

I would probably say that the autoglym conditioner has likely increased wear on that bolster to be honest. Modern leather does not need conditioning and all it does is simply attract dirt and dust. 

Well that's a shame to hear. I've always lightly cleaned the leather with a damp cloth only after brushing the perforated section with a soft shoe polishing brush to loosen up any dust, then applied a protective coat of Autoglym once dry. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for weighing in I 'll check the ingredients on the dodo juice 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links