Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1996 LS400 lowering springs

Howplum

I keep toying with the idea of a subtle lowering, but the H & R springs are no longer available, and nor are the DHP ones. My son has found some in Japan though:

https://www.rhdjapan.com/search/engine/toyota_celsior_ucf20-1uz-fe-10-1994-07-1996/model/toyota_celsior/car/toyota/category/handling_springs

Ignoring the last set, which are too extreme, does anyone have experience of using lowering springs? 

My main concern is whether the existing shocks can still be used because to my mind they will be under permanent compression by the amount of the drop, i.e. front 45-50mm and rear 25-30mm.

He has offered to buy them for me, which is an offer I'm reluctant to pass up!

This is a picture from a US forum showing a 1" drop (top picture) and a 2" drop:

Lowering a LS400-perch-settings.jpg

This is another one showing a front drop of 2" and rear drop of 1.5" using Eibach springs (NLA):

LS4.jpg

There was a set of DHP suspension on eBay recently, I've seen them on there for quite a while and IIRC price was around £300 for the set, I believe the seller had ARB's too.  Can't check at the moment but worth a quick search if still available.

• Like 1

The DHP struts are still on there, but if I understand correctly the drop is only about 10mm.

Want I don't want to do is fit lowering springs and then find that there are consequences in other areas, such as shock absorbers and suspension geometry. Another consequence is an aesthetic one, in that the standard wheels might not suit a lowered car. 

I did get an estimate from a very helpful person at Springcoil in Sheffield to make some custom springs, using either standard springs as a template. The guide price was about £75 + VAT each. He says:

"If you’ve got an original spring from the car we can work from that, we’ll redesign the spring so it works exactly as you’d like it to and a standard (even if used) spring off your vehicle it is the best point for us to start from.

We’ll be able to adjust the ride height exactly as you require, if you let us know what you’d like us to do we’ll arrange once we’ve tested your sample."

Perhaps I should ask him to put the money towards something else on my wish list, and save the hassle.

....  originality for our trusted steeds is good imho  AND I do so like the originality in that photo of the classic Ls400 in pearlescent white attire :thumbsup:

Malc

Another thing to consider when going lower is the additional work that will be required, I had a broken coil on mine and it was enough for the exhaust to catch going over speed bumps. 

The bend where the downpipe connects to the exhaust (between the cat and second o2 sensor) would catch.  This is a common issue when people lower their LS400, there are lots of threads online and the solution is to have the bend cut out and replaced with a bend that doesn't protrude so much

Thanks. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion the the cons far outweigh the pros, so I'll think of something else I can spend my son's money on! Professional wheel refurbishment perhaps?

2 minutes ago, Howplum said:

Professional wheel refurbishment perhaps?

I've just been quoted for all 4 wheels, leaving the car with them,  £ 410.40 incl vat by a local Gillingham Kent coy that says it refurbishes 28,000 wheels a year 

I'll be getting some more quotes tho'

Malc

........ just been quoted £250 + vat plus £40 for the centre caps to be sorted too ...  they take those to another local busineess to do ...  so I'm down to £340 "all up" 

The centre caps are solid colour plastic so not sure how that's going to be sorted ........  I'll find out soon 

Oh, and these are the guys I approached for a quote just pre-covid and the price looks about the same ....  at that time they said their work should really last about 15 years if the wheels aren't bashed about 

My searching might stop here .  and the cheaper pricing is from a more local business too

Malc

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 3:18 PM, Malc said:

My searching might stop here .  and the cheaper pricing is from a more local business too

Booked in with these guys for leaving the car with them on Tuesday 12th. July  ( see that's the Battle of the Boyne anniversary ) ......  doing the job the 13th and then collecting the car on the 14th

Malc

nope, Lepsons wanted £410.40p and they are about a 15 mile drive away in Gillingham and these guys I'm using are about a 5 mile drive in Sittingbourne  ... 01795 508596 .  and I know they have been there for many years and clearly, somehow, survived the business downturn of covid times 

I'll report back on how it all goes ..............

I'm expecting the refurb to now outlast the life of the car .......... min 25 years :wink3:  ....  and me !

Malc

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links