Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Mew tyres

Ltk

Currently using bridgestones is there a quieter tyre for daily road use only do 4k per year mine still have plenty of tread but rears showing signs of cracks tyres on only two years but dated 2016 do i go for a cheaper tyre or stick with top brands

In the end your choice is ultimately decided by your budget and your usage.  It always makes sense to buy the best tyres you can afford.

Tyres that are cheap are cheap for a reason.  On the other hand, the top manufacturers also make ‘budget’ brands which benefit from the same research and production resources, but may be produced in a limited range of sizes.

Above all, never mix brands.  ALWAYS have the same tyres all round.  And if you’re only replacing two tyres, remember that the new ones go on the rear axle.

As to which tyre to go for, there are plenty of auto magazines that do regular tyre reviews online, using closed test tracks.  Apart from noise, there maybe other aspects that you might want to consider, such as wet weather performance, fuel economy, mileage and so on.

This website I found - but have not used - I see gives a list of premium, budget tyres.  So this might at least enable you to identify the price range you’re comfortable with and then examine them individually.

I hope this helps as a starter. 

https://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/brands

• Like 2

Oh dear Lee. You've opened a proper can of worms lol. You however have a RX so the worms don't count. Stick with what the car came with when new. Cracking tyres after just 2 years means you've not checked pressures regularly enough or more than likely not enough air pressure. 

Go to the RX section of the forum and look for threads on tyre choices. Good luck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

Stick with what the car came with when new

wish i could with mine ............. manufacturers tyre upgrades often take-out earlier modes tho'

Malc

New tyres are a headache.

Want most quiet, longest mileage, best fuel economy, best braking in wet and dry and if possible, not very heavy.

Search and you shall find: Nothing!

These tyres are not existing.

Compromise.

When we retired, we started looking for tyres with good fuel economy. Until we got the CT we never cared about noise and always had Continental on our cars. They last forever (or till we changed car) and perform excellent.

What now? Know too little about car tyres. Much more about bicycle tyres. Schwalbe for downhill, Maxxis for X-cross and Continental for a street bike (which I do not have).

With the ML audio and the mostly quiet car I started to look for silent tyres. For guys with the probably much more refined bigger Lexus models, that which I suppose are much more sound-insulated than the CT, noise is probably not that much of a question. Maybe it is stupid to look for the quietest tyre as different road types make different noise and most roads here make a lot of noise. Some new roads are rather silent, so maybe best going into politics (or know some that are and influence them) and see that the new roads are being built or repaired in the material that make the roads quieter, whatever that is.

New tyres are a headache.

forvirret.thumb.jpg.8c239a8d9c67bf47eadfee6a58d89771.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Malc said:

manufacturers tyre upgrades often take-out earlier modes tho'

A good example is the excellent Michelin CrossClimate. - which the OP might well consider if it’s in budget.

Launched in May 2015, it was replaced by the Michelin CrossClimate Plus in around Jan 2017 and again by the Michelin CrossClimate 2 in Sept 2021.

I can vouch for the Michelin CrossClimate SUV's.

I drove across France and into Germany and Switzerland last December, on wet motorways and up and down snowy mountain roads and they performed excellently. I've also found them to be pretty quiet.

Not cheap, but I'm happy with them.

• Like 1

With only 4k miles per year is it worth to go for a premium brand? Moreover aren't CrossClimate 4 seasons tyres? I am not sure if Lee needs 4 seasons tyres. I personally would go for a medium brand. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links