Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just a note of appreciation, this. Mostly informative stuff on this forum, there seems to be very little in the way of how much these magnificent cars are appreciated. My Rx350 is 15 years old now, it just took me and my family, and a massive load of luggage, to Cornwall and back, and it felt a car brand new from the showroom. Eight hours to get there, six hours back, I was barely fatigued because I was so comfortable. Driving my Rx350 is absolute heaven.

• Like 8

Absolutely agree.  Mine is 2006 and has been trouble free since I bought it in 2011.  No inclination to "upgrade" to a 450.  You get a lot of petrol for the difference in cost even at today's prices (and a decent 2016 is a lot more expensive than it would have been a couple of years ago)  The only significant benefit I can see is the redesigned door fills which don't catch in your trousers as you get out.  Not a lot for about £30K!

• Like 2

I've regretted selling my beloved 2005 SEL  ever since I drove her to Milton Keynes and drove home in a 450h Premier. I kept the 2005 from new for 14 years but the Premier lasted just over a year ! The ride in my 69 plate Takumi is a little better than the Premier but nowhere near as tranquil as the SEL. 

I can still feel the engine thrubbing against the body at 1,100 rpm and it still annoys me that this happens. I have more bells and whistles than I can use on the Takumi but being able to feel the engine vibrate the cabin is the thing I hate the most. 

Alan

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, stringbender said:

I've regretted selling my beloved 2005 SEL  ever since I drove her to Milton Keynes and drove home in a 450h Premier. I kept the 2005 from new for 14 years but the Premier lasted just over a year ! The ride in my 69 plate Takumi is a little better than the Premier but nowhere near as tranquil as the SEL. 

I can still feel the engine thrubbing against the body at 1,100 rpm and it still annoys me that this happens. I have more bells and whistles than I can use on the Takumi but being able to feel the engine vibrate the cabin is the thing I hate the most. 

Alan

Been getting a similar vibration on mine at 1100rpm. Tried an extra couple of vibration dampers on the exhaust, but no real change. What to do now, go for the new updated model, wait on the next generation due out soon or wait for about a year for the RZ.

I’ve not checked but I wonder if those nice fluid filled engine mounts fitted to most early Lexus models have now been replaced with convention rubber mounts as a cost saving measure.

Similarly the full stainless steel exhausts are now mild steel.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Japanesebob14 said:

I was barely fatigued because I was so comfortable.

very commendable too  .....  I suffer the same extremes of comfort and " niceness " whenever I do a long long journey in my 95 Ls400  .....  floating on air maybe 

Methinks Lexus ( and most others I guess ) really don't know how to truly improve on the customer experience from nigh 30 years back :whistling:

Malc

49 minutes ago, C Mclean said:

What to do now,

simple really, get yourself a 2005 SEL  :unsure:

Malc

3 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I wonder if those nice fluid filled engine mounts fitted to most early Lexus models have now been replaced with convention rubber mounts as a cost saving measure.

I'd wondered that too, or that they cut one out altogether. 

I find it REALLY strange that the deep low frequency rumble is totally absent when the car is started from cold. It's also worse as you come off the throttle - as if the engine rocks back and leans on a mount. It disappears when you hit the  power when it's as smooth as a hot knife going through butter.

I'll never give up wondering why this happens and if I could change it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C Mclean said:

This is from the USA market, not sure if it’s applicable to U.K. models.

L-SB-0003-18

This relates to exhaust "drone". This would be in the audible range. What I'm unhappy with is more related to "feeling". Much lower in frequency and more felt than heard. When my wife drives me I can barely feel it on the passenger side. I still think it's where the engine moves into a position where it, or the exhaust pipe connected to it, are rubbing up against the car's underbody. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links