Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking for a 12v battery

Ariaz

Hi everyone!

Recently purchased a Lexus CT200h after upgrading from my old car, love the Lexus and it drives comfortably 😌

I hop back into my car after filling up at a petrol pump last week and my car would refuse to go into drive (only after about 10 minutes it shifted into drive), had an issue regarding the auxiliary Battery I believe being quite low in charge (I've attached an image). To my knowledge the 12V Battery needs replacement.

Was wondering what would be the best Battery to replace it with? So far I have seen the genuine Toyota Battery, also some Yuasa batteries (various ones ive seen online) and I have also found one on Lexus parts website: https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-ct-phase-1-auxiliary-12v-starter-battery/

Not too sure which one to go for, what would be the best option to last the longest (or if there is an after-market version providing the same quality at a cheaper price?). Would love to know anyones advice on which new Battery is best to replace the current 12V Battery with?

Thanks!

B980E0CB-AB33-4810-AC92-DC42CC37EB9B.jpeg

2 hours ago, Ariaz said:

I hop back into my car after filling up at a petrol pump last week and my car would refuse to go into drive (only after about 10 minutes it shifted into drive), had an issue regarding the auxiliary battery I believe being quite low in charge (I've attached an image). To my knowledge the 12V battery needs replacement.

What makes you think it's the Battery at fault? Seeing a message about a lock problem wouldn't automatically make me think that it's the Battery.

11 minutes ago, Herbie said:

What makes you think it's the battery at fault? Seeing a message about a lock problem wouldn't automatically make me think that it's the battery.

I usually get another message straight after the one in the image saying ‘Auxiliary Battery low’, my friend also had this same issue. I may even be wrong.

Assuming you have the original Battery,from new, I would hope there would be a few more years--maybe 3-- left in it.

They seem to pack up around 10 years--it seems almost as if you could set your watch by  it failing then.

12 hours ago, Ariaz said:

I usually get another message straight after the one in the image saying ‘Auxiliary battery low’, my friend also had this same issue. I may even be wrong.

In that case then, go to a car accessory shop that sells batteries, even Halfords if you have to, and ask them to load test it.

Using a multimeter alone may give a great reading such as 12.75V for instance, but when a load is applied that voltage may drop like a stone.

650595219_batterycharge.thumb.jpg.604711e464cdbb26a64c008d9455c4bd.jpg

• Like 2

I changed mine for the one you have listed at Lexus it's a Yuasa AGM with Toyota branding. It's about as good as you can get and when I bought mine it was the cheapest available including inferior online none AGM types.

They fitted it free and did a free tyre nail removal while I was there 😃 I only use Lexus B'ham now for all my needs great customer service

• Like 2

I would add if it's a vehicle that's stood for long periods get a smart charger, as the Aux Battery having minor part to play in the scheme of things, doesn't have a great deal of capacity.

Mine only does 2 or 3,000 k a year so needs a boost after 3 or 4 weeks none usage, I have cut down the charging need greatly by sticking a 10w portable solar charger on the dash. It doesn't really add much charge but combats any drain created in sunnier months.

Apart from the passage of time which means even cared for batteries eventually either become less effective or can suddenly not operate, the main reason for premature Battery failure is due to voltage level being allowed to fall due too low due to inadequate use of the vehicle and or lack of supplementary charging when needed. Indeed, some batteries carry a warning that the warranty is void if the Battery has dropped below a certain voltage.  The life of a Battery can also be reduced by charging at too high a rate so 'gassing' takes place.  This is particularly the case with AGM batteries. Lexus say the maximum charge rate should be 5amp.  A 'smart' trickle charge that tapers charge down from 5amp as needed to maintain a suitable level of charge and correct Battery type model is required

As to which Battery to fit,  batteries generally come in defined case sizes and terminal types  regardless of manufacture. Put simply. the main difference is internally due to type of construction,  amount of lead used and way acid is contained.   For sizes that are sold in greatest numbers, you may find a major manufacturer may sell the same size Battery in more than one quality and price and warranty will reflect this. Lexus/Toyota supplied batteries are an exception to this although of good quality and highly priced the warranty is only for 12 months I understand, although in practice last for very much longer.  So if you just want a Battery that will do the job for the cheapest price albeit with short warranty just compare prices from a local factor or on line supplier.  If you want a better quality look at batteries from the better warranted ranges of the major suppliers like Yuasa, Bosch, Varta and Excide.  If you want the AGM type as originally fitted, either get the discounted AGM OEM from Lexus Direct or equivalent model from any of the major names I gave through a factor where they do the size required.

Remember, that a cheaper well treated Battery may last longer than an abused better quality one, although well treated as intended, the better more expensive Battery with longer guarantee should last longer.  

NB.  It doesn't have to be a more expensive AGM Battery where the main advantage is better acid containment isin the event of an accident.  

On 8/20/2022 at 11:53 PM, Herbie said:

Seeing a message about a lock problem wouldn't automatically make me think that it's the battery.

I'm thinking the same tbh

similar issue with my 2006 Honda Legend and been advised it could be the auto signal from the key and the car security system simply not recognising it's valid and thinking the car might be in the throes of being stolen :unsure:

........... after a while everything gets back to normal and the car starts and moves out of its  " locked up "    P    for Park

I don't have a solution........  seems as if it might be a tad too expensive for me to worry about with my 16 y/o Legend especially as it gets well again after a shortish while :yes:

btw  the 12v Battery isn't very old 

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links