Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400h longevity maintenance

Hi all,

I have an RX400h with 170k miles. I love the car and it's still running brilliantly.
Crazily (perhaps) it has always been serviced by the main dealer.

It's due a service now, and I am thinking of going independent (finally).

There is a great mobile mechanic near us who serviced our other car recently and I was able to provide consumables myself.

What do you suggest I get done other than oil /oil filter/air filter/pollen filter? It had brake fluid last year so won't bother with that.

Anything else? Does the inverter coolant ever need replacing?

It had the timing belt done at 100k miles is it worth doing that now or leaving till 200k?

Also, I am tempted to replace  the Xenon bulbs with new osram night breaker ones as the light ouptput seems a bit dimmer than it used to be years ago. Is that a mad idea? Do xenons dim over time?

I might also switch to more frequent oil changes but only doing about 6k a year

Thank you

59 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

How about the hybrid side of things? Will you get the dealership to do an annual hybrid health check?

I'm a bit ignorant about the hybrid stuff other than inverter coolant. Do delareships offer just a hybrid health check?

Can a regular experienced car mechanic service the hybrid bits?

On 9/15/2022 at 5:11 PM, James_1970 said:

I'm a bit ignorant about the hybrid stuff other than inverter coolant. Do delareships offer just a hybrid health check?

Can a regular experienced car mechanic service the hybrid bits?

Yes you can get the hybrid health check separately from a service. It gives you 12 months warranty on the hybrid Battery (only, not motors or inverters etc).

Lexus by default don't touch any hybrid components on a service expect for inverter coolant which should be changed at 100k miles from the factory fill and then every 50k miles.

Air filer is every 40k miles/4 years so depending on when that was last done, and it's condition, that may not need to be replaced.

On 9/15/2022 at 4:04 PM, James_1970 said:

Also, I am tempted to replace  the xenon bulbs with new osram night breaker ones as the light ouptput seems a bit dimmer than it used to be years ago. Is that a mad idea? Do xenons dim over time?

They do dim, and change colour which is why you can purchase 'aged' ones if you have a single bulb failure and you want it to match the other side.

• Like 2

Here's a list of service items I made a while ago. Some of it as per Lexus schedule, some are things to do myself, to keep things working as smoothly as possible.

Engine Oil & Filter - Annually/10k
Hybrid Health Check - Annually
Transmission/Rear Diff Oil drain & Fill - Every 60k
Engine Coolant change - 10yrs/100k 50k thereafter
Spark Plug change - Every 60k
Flush & Replace Brake Fluid - Every 3yrs/30k
Check/Replace A/C Filter - Every 40k
Check/Replace Air Filter - Every 3yrs/30k
Hybrid Inverter Coolant - At 150k, every 50k thereafter
Grease Caliper Pins - Annually
Clean Rear Seat Vents - Annually
Check Underbody & Rustproof (ACF 50) - Annually
Grease Tailgate Struts - Annually
Lube Door, Boot & Bonnet Hinges & Catches, Wiper pivots - Annually
Spray rubber boots & bushes with silicone spray - Annually
Gummi Pfledge Seals - Annually

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

Here's a list of service items I made a while ago. Some of it as per Lexus schedule, some are things to do myself, to keep things working as smoothly as possible.

for the 400h there is also the cam belt every 10 years/100k miles

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links