Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Exhaust smell, high fuel consumption etc (please help!)

alexlinga

Hello! im sitting here ripping my hair off trying to research the problems with my Lexus IS220d 2007..

I bought the car from a dealer (im from Norway) and the rollercoaster started there.. with a leaking fuel tank which they finally fixed but they did not try to fix the issue im facing now as they said "Drive with it and it'll probably go away" lol

So, the thing is i get about 8,5 l 100/km and the exhaust smell is horrendous. The car does not use any coolant nor any oil so all of you headgasket warriors please dont lol.

I've cleaned the as it was clogged as hell and the car felt way better after a clean but the issues still remained with the consumption and smell.. i've also tried doing multiple diagnostics but i can't seem to understand if the values are correct

Injection feedback val 1 0.16 mm3/st    Injection Feedback val 2 0,31 mm3/st    Injection feedback val 3 -0.94 mm3/st    Injection feedback val 4 -0.00 mm3/st. This is at operating temparature. I've also tried looking for the feedback for the 5th injector but i can't seem to find it on any diagnostic tools as i don't know what im looking for or the name for it.

I really need some help as i'm getting nauseous driving this thing... i get no fault codes or anything from either the car or the diagnostics tool.. Sorry if my english is bad as im from norway

Also when im punching the throttle i get some black smoke too.. so definatly some fuel related stuff.. its definatly a hard car to understand. When i've searched for the fuel values they are saying + 3.0 and -3.0 is the good values.. but mine says 0.94 and im not sure if that means 9.4 or what lol

Diesel smell can take a long time to go away if not cleaned completely and even if cleaned well.

8.5L 100km is maybe not that bad if you are driving around in the mountains near Röros or the like. We have 6.5L 100km in the island of Gran Canaria with a CT the according to factory should only need 3.8L.

Smell can also come from a little hole in the exhaust pipe.

Black smoke is sign of burning oil and maybe not burning the diesel sompletely. Blue/grey smoke is far worse.

Your English is fine. We Vikings are used to speaking more than one language.

32 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Diesel smell can take a long time to go away if not cleaned completely and even if cleaned well.

8.5L 100km is maybe not that bad if you are driving around in the mountains near Röros or the like. We have 6.5L 100km in the island of Gran Canaria with a CT the according to factory should only need 3.8L.

Smell can also come from a little hole in the exhaust pipe.

Black smoke is sign of burning oil and maybe not burning the diesel sompletely. Blue/grey smoke is far worse.

Your English is fine. We Vikings are used to speaking more than one language.

Thanks for the reply!

The consumption stays mostly around 8.5 on long runs and goes up to 9.5 on short runs. the smell from the back of the car is awful! i've driven almost a tank after cleaning the EGR, so there has to be something wrong? my mate with the same car and same type of driving goes down to 7,4 as it should be running from factory 😕 he were driving behind me today and he almost couldn't stand driving behind me lol! im assuming the black smoke from hard acceleration is due to unburnt fuel i guess. I even tested the MAP sensor but still no success.. im guessing the 5th injector ? still don't know how to test it though or where to find it on diagnostics tool.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, I have the same problem on my is 220d. Smell penetrating the cabin and huge white smoke at times.
FYI: 5th new injector, new egr valve, high consumption 10 L/100km but the problem persists. I will have my injectors diagnosed but the values are correct, it is a very complicated model in diesel.

Seems like noone wants to help. Big issue with theese cars about the 5th injector and stuff but noone seems to show us how to fix it. Im thinking of blocking the 5th injector due that my dpf is gone. I suspect it stuck open.

Even Lexus garages don't know exactly. In fact, the causes are numerous and very difficult to diagnose. I find it shameful for this brand, Lexus and Diesel to avoid.

On 10/7/2022 at 8:34 PM, alexlinga said:

I also was wrong, i didnt disconnect the 5th injector. I picked the wrong one and found the correct one. Now it starts just fine

The injector values for you seems fine since 0.94 is within the range -3 to +3. I have been working on my car which is smoking since re-fuelling and finally managed to remove the 5th injector (all other 4 were replaced) , it is actually straight forward using socket 13mm but remove the Battery and 1 bracket in the way I think it's a 12mm holding 2 cables.

I have a few videos of location, I tried blocking the fuel line by stuffing rubber glove didn't help(wanted to see if smoke will stop momentarily) . So I will try to get m10x1 fine bolt between 10-12mm length and block fuel line to 5th injector from the fuel pump.

Video is 190mb can't share here.

Photo :

Green: reference to location of EGR valve pipe where it bolts to the back/under cylinder 4

Blue : the injector nozzle

Purple : the injector connecting plug

Pink : 13mm bolt with clamp holder just like the clamps holding injectors at the top

You can see fuel line and 5th injector in other photos, RESPECT the clip which holds the two in place. I was really scared breaking it.

Screenshot_20221009_004820.jpg

Screenshot_20221009_004422_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Screenshot_20221009_004350_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

IMG_20221008_132613.jpg

IMG_20221008_132453.jpg

May I ask how they fixed the fuel tank. I had a leaky tank which  meant oxygen getting into the mix [loads of smoke accelerating] Oddly enough no fault lights showed on dash. Tank repair putty didn’t work so I had a second hand tank fitted. Hope this helps

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links