Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So took my ls400 for an mot yesterday, yes it passed but with 2 advisories, well 3 sorry. One was surface rust in 2 small places is coming back, so I'll deal with that, ns lower ball joint has very slight play, I can sort that out too, but also minor oil leak.

Mot tester said he thinks it's from the valve cover gasket area, but I noticed this when it first started in August, when I had the oil and filter replaced. The mechanics split abit down the side, anyway, when I looked yesterday, yes it was slightly wet around the left sump area, but I couldnt see any oil leaking from the gasket area, nothing.

But my question is, should I just get the gaskets replaced, they are like 22 years old and also, my car is on lpg, do you guys think lex tek will do it due to my car being on lpg or can anyone on here do it for me if I get the parts and I'll pay for labour too. I'm based in the west Midlands. 

The amount of money of spent on this car, rounds up to about £2000 in the past year and half, all suspension parts, and of course cambelt and water pump. I'm thinking I've had enough, but then I love the car.

I'm trying to beat prostate cancer, but this kinda thing stresses me out.

Thanks in advance 

I had valve cover gasket leaks on my Mark 1 and they started aroud 150k miles .I did nothing about them because the leaks were not running copious amounts and the car was getting to its end of life period( Rust).

I think when these events occur there needs to be a realistic review of the situation I had been on the lookout for a replacement for two years prior to me obtaining that which is my present car.

I spent nothing at all in the final year of the ownership basically just keeping it going until I had found its replacement.

With your medical condition priorities come into play and my advice is chose the path of least resistance regarding the car .

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

I had valve cover gasket leaks on my Mark 1 and they started aroud 150k miles .I did nothing about them because the leaks were not running copious amounts and the car was getting to its end of life period( Rust).

I think when these events occur there needs to be a realistic review of the situation I had been on the lookout for a replacement for two years prior to me obtaining that which is my present car.

I spent nothing at all in the final year of the ownership basically just keeping it going until I had found its replacement.

With your medical condition priorities come into play and my advice is chose the path of least resistance regarding the car .

Thanks 

The car itself is near mint condition. It's a lovely, it was getting compliments even at the garage, advisories stress me out

If it's not required as daily transport then perhaps take it off the road for the winter and consider what to in the spring, when your health has improved. If the car is in good condition overall it would be worth fettling the minor issues instead of going to the trouble of replacing it, which may just present you with a different set of issues.

• Like 1

If you mean they split they oil filter, and you think the oil is leaking from there, then I'd be inclined to take it back and get the oil filter replaced and see if that cures the problem.

If you can't see any leak from the valve cover gaskets then I wouldn't be in any rush to replace them until it was confirmed they were the source of the leak.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 8:06 AM, messi said:

I'm thinking I've had enough, but then I love the car.

I get the same feeling myself, but then take it for a 200 mile spin to work on clearing my fathers house, and I just cannot let go.  I know mine needs work, so am thinking of getting an Avensis as my daily and keeping the LS as my 'nice to cruise somewhere' car.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I get the same feeling myself, but then take it for a 200 mile spin to work on clearing my fathers house, and I just cannot let go.  I know mine needs work, so am thinking of getting an Avensis as my daily and keeping the LS as my 'nice to cruise somewhere' car.

I only take it on long journeys with my daughter, we go up Scotland, pembrokeshire, devon, Cornwall etc, I hardly drive it locally,  I prefer walking 

I love the car, i know the 2 issues are minor, but it just stresses me out, I'll have to get them done. Whenever there is an advisory on an mot, I always get it done.

On 9/19/2022 at 9:11 AM, messi said:

but it just stresses me out

chill ....  de-stress ............. just run her every time you can, not just for long trips ............ ignore the Advisories and just get on with " living " ............... until the next MOT / Service is due when you can address any pertinent issues 

Best wishes with your health .  it's a bugger but you will overcome it all 🙏

Malc

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

have you got the courage to tell us what that all cost £££ ?

Malc

Cost £478. New bolts too as a couple broke

They kept complementing the car on how nice it is and well looked aftered it is. A guy from another until came over to have a look at it too and liked it

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links