Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

USB drive and Android Auto

Ruffle

Reading through the manual as you do... and I noticed that it says you can't use a USB Drive for audio while you've got Android Auto connected despite there being two USB ports.

Is this correct?

21 hours ago, Ruffle said:

Reading through the manual as you do... and I noticed that it says you can't use a USB Drive for audio while you've got Android Auto connected despite there being two USB ports.

Is this correct?

Radio, CD, Android Auto, cassette - they're all inputs to the one amplifier, so only one input can be used at any given time.

However, within Android Auto itself you can use something like VLC player to play locally stored music.

22 hours ago, Ruffle said:

Is this correct?

Is it possible that only one of the USB ports has been configured for "data transfer" and the other one purely for charging? 

If so the only real solution here, should you wish to continue to use Android Auto (AA), would be to transfer the contents of your USB drive to your phone (assuming that you have sufficient capacity) and play them from within AA using an AA-compatible audio app installed on your phone such as VLC or Poweramp; etc.

4 hours ago, Herbie said:

Radio, CD, Android Auto, cassette - they're all inputs to the one amplifier, so only one input can be used at any given time

Oh that explains it 😞 Thanks.

Guess that'll be me getting a 512G SDCard for my phone then.

Shame as my music library and podcasts are stored on my NAS and doing a simple rsync to a USB SSD is much easier than faffing around copying stuff to the phone or fiddling around with a Micro SDCard when I add stuff.

Why is car ICE always so 1990s.

Best quality audio transfer is through the line-in. Then you can play whatever your source can handle no matter if lossless DSD, DSF, flac or WAV.

I use flac 24-bit 96kHz when sitting waiting for family shopping, when driving and using Bluetooth transfer possibility is up to how new the Bluetooth is, usually not more than 16-bit 48kHz. Audio in Lexus is better than most other brands of cars.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links