Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlight renovation

Mr Vlad

I'm not sure if anyone has posted similar. It's a known fact that the headlights on Lexus cars, the older ones lol, go let's say murky. Green looking etc. I've had to replace the passenger side headlight last year as it was letting in water. The replacement even though 2nd hand looks brand new and put the drivers side headlight to shame. 

Anyway today I spent just under an hour renovating mine. I used the Autoglym headlight renovation kit. It's actually very good but I think it could use a more course paper as 1st pass. 

When I got my is250 the headlights had a black film on them with loads of holes to let the light out. Had them taken off but over time the residue of them kind of embedded into the plastic housing and no amount of washing could remove.

The 1st photo clearly shows what I mean. The 2nd photo is end result. Not mint as there are a myriad of internal scratch looking marks.

20220924_134356.thumb.jpg.74a11bad4238314e50ad2eb9dfd828c7.jpg20220924_155328.thumb.jpg.7965129f4bf3c65f09bfd65d4b1557e2.jpg

• Like 2

I've been using a Halfords   T Cut product ..  £6.99 a pack and it works ok on the Honda plastic headlights ...  not perfect but ok and will need doing annually I think ......  cleans up much of the dimmness

There's a more expensive T Cut headlight restorer product too available at Halfords 

Malc

my 95 headlights are glass btw

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

not perfect but ok and will need doing annually I think

the harder outer coating of the plastic lenses is removed when you sand them down. If you spray with a clear-coat lacquer after you have polished them it will last a few years before needing to be done again.

• Like 2

Yes Colin. Not all clear coatings are suitable because they can cause distortion of light pattern. I've got some dedicated lacquer from Maguires ordered but it's not available here but in America. The Autoglym polish supplied has a UV protective within it but only 6 months to a year protection. More than long enough for the Maguires stuff to arrive.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links