Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rocking Engine

On tick-over my car rocks from side to side slightly, if I rev the engine then it stops. It is worse when the engine is cold but still there when warm. Does anybody else suffer from this, I have experienced it before but that was due to the cam fitted, not on a standard engine.

hmmmmmmmmm,strange the enine/car shouldnt really rock as such as its a I6 if it was a "V" engine on tickover it would move due to moving mass.........and as you say if a wild cam was fitted(as with my rover) the engine would run lumpy.

my engine /car does not rock when running,

how bad is the rock.

i some times get a slight (barely noticeable) sway which becomes more apparent when .....say the aircon switches on,and then its really only noticeable in the steering wheel......and while static

mat

Hunting on a F.I engine can be caused by lots of CRAZY STUFF.........my car does it jst b4 a service.......:wow:

also hunting can be caused by....airleaks into the manifold,dodgy gas sensor,crappy fuel.............do i need to go on

can you furnish me with the symptons in greater detail and Dr Mat will do his best:rolleyes:

It's encouraging to know that some things don't change. 20 years ago I used to be able to do anything to a car - nowadays I look under the bonnet and it's all pipes and electronics!

In the good ole days, you used to be able to fix most problems with a "bop and twiddle"!!:lol::lol:

It could be something like one of your spark plugs or ht leads...If one of them isnt firing properly then it will cause an inbalance within the engine. It's probably something simple....teething problems!

Originally posted by JOHNNY-BOY

The engine does not seem to "hunt", revs are very stable; I have 4,500 miles on the clock now. I can just feel the whole car moving each way slightly when stationary.:?:

Are you sure you haven't got a couple of horny rabbits in your boot?

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by JOHNNY-BOY

The engine does not seem to "hunt", revs are very stable; I have 4,500 miles on the clock now. I can just feel the whole car moving each way slightly when stationary.:?:

If your engine idle is stable and you still feel engine rock inside the car, check the engine/transmission mounts, these are the only components that isolate the engine NVH from the interior

Couple of questions can you feel vibrations through the steering Col

Is the AC On or Off or do get the same symtoms with the AC on.

i also get the very slight rocking not all the time its maybe every few seconds i can just about feel it - but i think this is because i know its there i am looking for it - again as you say its really only when its cold.

rob.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links