Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheels and tyres for sale.

Paul weeks

Could anyone advice what I should ask for a set of aftermarket wheels with nearly new 245/40/18 tyres fitted ? I have just put standard wheels back on my car with a set of Michelin pilots, so will be putting these up for sale.

CF29A820-5566-4687-8229-AA120F954837.jpeg

77EC42F2-3681-480C-87A8-F83638FD8DFB.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi Paul

Hope you like the Michelin Pilots, I know I did!

Have you thought about a set of really good snow tyres on them? Around my neck of the woods they would be invaluable when we get the white stuff!

Anthony

• Like 2

Yes I do like them, and think they suited the car, but I wanted to have standard Lexus wheels on it and fancied putting Michelin Pilot 5 tyres on it, so had the wheels powder coated and new tyres. I will put a pic on soon.

• Like 2

Hi Paul

Hope to see your pics soon, my wheels are in appalling condition due the supplier having them painted when I bought it and subsequently paint flaked from the undercoat in lumps!

20220717_142002.thumb.jpg.66cf74b59782604eac08ba6a078ccb5f.jpg

Can I ask if you had anything done with the trims and centres because mine are scratched around the lug nuts, what colour (original silver) and how much did they cost?

Regards, Anthony 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 3:30 PM, Paul weeks said:

Could anyone advice what I should ask for a set of aftermarket wheels with nearly new 245/40/18 tyres fitted ? I have just put standard wheels back on my car with a set of Michelin pilots, so will be putting these up for sale.

CF29A820-5566-4687-8229-AA120F954837.jpeg

To answer the question, it depends on the condition of the wheels and the make of the tyres of course but they must be worth at least £500 as a set to someone. 

• Like 1

Hi Paul

Lexus SC430 wheels fit other models in the Lexus range so it would widen your scope of potential buyers to confirm exactly which ones from a reliable source.

You could then advertise them on here in the Wheels and Tyres section or Sell Parts and Accessories.

You could always put looking for £500 and they are off a SC430 but it is believed they fit other Lexus models.

Be aware the lug nuts seats may differ on the aftermarket wheels from the original fitment so it's imperative that issue is considered as you you may want to advertise the Wheels with lug nuts.

Good luck, Anthony

Screenshot_20221007-082031_Google.thumb.jpg.2fe4827f77c9b2fe349e462f4a1b5c24.jpg

It looks fabulous Paul 👌 

If you can sell your other wheels it will cover the refurbishment cost and probably give you a little extra to buy another present for your SC!

What's next?

It does look fabulous Paul and the powder coating as well👍just had mine done and decided to have Alloygators fitted (rim protection) in the hope of protection from minor skirmishes with the kerb something that seems to happen quite regularly now I am on the wrong side of 70😀

• Like 2

Hi alloygators are the best reviewed and a great company to deal with, you will see them advertised elsewhere but alloygators themselves are best price at £75 17/19 inch, they have fitters all over the country but tbh you or even me!! could  fit them ourselves lots of how to on YouTube no need to remove tyres but you will need to deflate and reinflate

20221010_103604.jpg

20221010_103548.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I visited a small powder coaters in Slaithwaite yesterday to enquire about refurbishing my wheels. Big patches of undercoat are now visable where the paint has come off the rims. They were painted by the supplying garage when I bought it.  

They want the wheels bare, so no trims or valves. Lexus once told me the valves/tpms sensors are linked to a corner of the car so if removed they must be marked so they can be replaced back to their original position.

I had confidence that they do a good job but what to do with the trims presented a problem.

IMG-20210714-WA0011.thumb.jpg.247cc52c6635a51feb27a386e6157d92.jpg

They asked what the trims were made out of, can anyone answer that?

They thought they may be chrome plated under the bronzy coating?

Has anyone got experience of refurbishing the trims? 

Can the trims be stripped and spray painted successfully?

Your knowledge on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Anthony 

I may be wrong but on a different forum I read that the sensors in the wheels are not sensitive to which corner of the car they are on provided they are registered to the car.  I forgot to note down what wheel went where when I took mine off to put the new ones on so I hope this is the case. I would assume that the trims are plastic and can be lightly rubbed down and painted the same as the Pie Plates can although you may not end up with  quite the same finish as original. The Pie Plates have almost a chrome finish to the plastic with a lacquer on top.

• Like 1

Hi Glyn

It was the receptionist at Lexus Leeds who told me they were linked to a particular wheel and therefore rotation of wheels to even the wear is not possible without additional work if the rims and sensors are not put back in the same position.

I obviously took the information as being true but if you or anyone else can clarify it is wrong I will speak to them when it goes in for service, a week on Monday.

Anthony

On 14/10/2022 at 6:42 AM, Lexiguy said:

I visited a small powder coaters in Slaithwaite yesterday to enquire about refurbishing my wheels. Big patches of undercoat are now visable where the paint has come off the rims. They were painted by the supplying garage when I bought it.  

They want the wheels bare, so no trims or valves. Lexus once told me the valves/tpms sensors are linked to a corner of the car so if removed they must be marked so they can be replaced back to their original position.

I had confidence that they do a good job but what to do with the trims presented a problem.

IMG-20210714-WA0011.thumb.jpg.247cc52c6635a51feb27a386e6157d92.jpg

They asked what the trims were made out of, can anyone answer that?

They thought they may be chrome plated under the bronzy coating?

Has anyone got experience of refurbishing the trims? 

Can the trims be stripped and spray painted successfully?

Your knowledge on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Anthony 

Hi Anthony the 2 photos are my 2 sets of wheels spokes are aftermarket calibra wheels I was told that the false split rims have imitation plastic bolts and if powder coated they would melt when they were heated in the oven after coating!! I drilled one and turned out they were alloy (part of the wheel) so had them done and pleased with results cost £280 at Ellesmere Port..

Next are originals  had them resprayed 2 yrs ago the centre caps are off eBay and were around £20 for set of  4 and will probably fit yours  I photoed both wheels about 10 mins ago without any preparation the wheel shown is actually the worse of the 4 I may consider selling these with 4 virtually new tyres  albeit mid range Davanti tyres, hope this helps Stew

20221015_113509.jpg

20221015_113230.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

Hi Glyn

It was the receptionist at Lexus Leeds who told me they were linked to a particular wheel and therefore rotation of wheels to even the wear is not possible without additional work if the rims and sensors are not put back in the same position.

I obviously took the information as being true but if you or anyone else can clarify it is wrong I will speak to them when it goes in for service, a week on Monday.

Anthony

In the manual the rear wheels can be moved to become front wheels, when only replacing new tyres, so it should not be a problem.

• Like 1

It makes me wonder if he was covering himself. This is because a few comments appear to support that swapping wheels arround on some Lexus models can cause a problem.

If you tell everyone that it's a problem then they are covered! 

2 hours ago, Localhero said:

Hi Anthony the 2 photos are my 2 sets of wheels spokes are aftermarket calibra wheels I was told that the false split rims have imitation plastic bolts and if powder coated they would melt when they were heated in the oven after coating!! I drilled one and turned out they were alloy (part of the wheel) so had them done and pleased with results cost £280 at Ellesmere Port..

Next are originals  had them resprayed 2 yrs ago the centre caps are off ebay and were around £20 for set of  4 and will probably fit yours  I photoed both wheels about 10 mins ago without any preparation the wheel shown is actually the worse of the 4 I may consider selling these with 4 virtually new tyres  albeit mid range Davanti tyres, hope this helps Stew

20221015_113509.jpg

20221015_113230.jpg

Both wheels look really nice. The Lexus ones particularly in gunmetal grey. You were very fortunate in getting 4 centre caps for £20. I looked at buying some but they were about £160 for a set from the US. I ended up buying some refurbished wheels that already had them on, then sold the old wheels which were quite badly corroded in places.

• Like 1

It is dissapointing that Lexus feels that it is fair to charge their customers £160 for a set of wheel centre caps!

If anyone is requiring wheel centre caps and need to look at a more reasonable alternative then download the Wish app and you can see the ones below.

Screenshot_20221015-145950_Wish.thumb.jpg.a91b72739f24275a50d5e1d7878aa482.jpgScreenshot_20221015-145856_Wish.thumb.jpg.9117d8a4d315a5845f44eef63cbeae97.jpgScreenshot_20221015-145638_Wish.thumb.jpg.1a096a42ed838486e31f98a9d03d0ac0.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links