Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nearside headlight level adjuster

Hi all, Hope you keeping well.

So my poor lexi been stood on my drive since the start of covid and today went for an mot to see just how much needed done.

Lots of expected stuff, but one I didn't see coming (hadn't checked/looked to be fair)

• Nearside Front Headlamp levelling device inoperative rod is telescopic, and not operating as required (4.1.5 (a))

So had a quick search on here and nothing jumps out.

Anyone any heads up or direction to get this fixed quick?

From a web search seems some pics are solid bar others are adjustable linkage sorts. I presume it's the right one as been on car since I've had her and worked for many year. I there wonder if its stuck somehow or if the motor/actuator is at fault vs sensors, as the offside is levelling, unless each side has its own corresponding sensor on each side?

Anyways, is it lamp out, up via wheel arch liner or should I be starting to dig elsewhere?

Apart from that, I'm pleased with how the old gal has faired of nearly 3 years non use, still went like a rocket, when got past the grinding rusty breaks 🤣

Cheers all, Upex

If is like my 2007, it is not a rod or a linkage. You insert a long 12” cross head screwdriver into an almost horizontal tunnel. No need to remove anything except covers. Can’t get at car to send photo sorry. 
John

1 hour ago, OldTrout said:

If is like my 2007, it is not a rod or a linkage. You insert a long 12” cross head screwdriver into an almost horizontal tunnel. No need to remove anything except covers. Can’t get at car to send photo sorry. 
John

Are you now back on the road fully repaired John ?

I have not yet noticed that all is now well.

It's not the aim level John it's the auto leveller, the bit that lowers when boot full of stuff etc and keeps the lights at right level vs blinding folks. The bit that dips the lights level and then lifts again when turning car on. The driver side is dipping and returning, the nearside stays static but used to move up and down when turning on.

Believe controlled by 85661-48030 which is part of the lamp unit I think, plus perhaps a ride height sensor at back or such?

Or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Upex said:

Believe controlled by 85661-48030 which is part of the lamp unit I think, plus perhaps a ride height sensor at back or such?

Yes there is a ride height sensor but only a single one that controls both headlights - so that is ok. I would guess it is the motor you suggest, obviously it could be the ECU that controls it but most likely the mechanical part (i.e. the motor) that is the culprit.

• Like 2

Thanks ColinB, that's helpful as wasn't sure on the ride hight sensor 👍

Anyone any ideas how I get to it, efficiently?

Keen to not have to remove bumper, lamp etc if it's possible to reach via other route or even mildly painful / contortional access paths. Can deal with a broken finger, but don't have time to strip the front 🤣

So, had a look and it's tucked well away, defo a bumper off job or wheel arch liner out (didn't try that) to get to the motor, so haven't done those!

I did get a length of timber out, stood it on floor and monitored what happens to each headlight when turning ignition on. Drivers side dips about 2cm (measured very close to car) down then back up.

The passenger side does the same, give or take a few mm inaccuracy as the light beam isn't that sharp (lenses have gone cloudy/murky which is another job to sort 🙄)

So I can only assume that either the mot station are meaning something different, or that it was stuck given not moved in 3 years and now with a few starts and bit of use its unstuck itself.

If the former, and it's not this motor they mean by the failure, any ideas what they could mean?

If the latter, fngers crossed for the retest eh!

• Like 1

That's a good idea Colin, thanks.

I did speak to garage yesterday and from convo it turns out to be (4890750080 or perhaps 8940630140 if thats not just the sensor, different fiche pics seem to disagree 🙄) that they were meaning. 

Apparently the bar has come away/shot and thus when the suspension is moving up and down the sensor is seeing no movement and not moving the light.

The turn on start up move of light motors must be to check them and not sensor driven, which makes sense, as would be stationary when starting (least most the time 🤣)

I'm yet to have a look myself, but from what chap could recall he thinks it's the rose joint on bar rather than the metal it clamps to, so I'm thinking an adjustabke lh/rh thread rod with rose joints on the ends can be used as replacement (like carb rod or bike gear shift link) as can't find the lexus part local/decent price. My main dealer says the bar sensor and plate all come as one, £350+ish quid.

Given a stainless gear link is less than 20 got to be worth a shot.

Anyone happen to know the length? I'm away from home and be great to order one for when back rather than having to wait until back to mesaure.

Thanks all

toyota-4890750070-1561867511398-big.jpg

just to add, @Upex where is your diagram from?

My understanding is the GS, along with RX and others, only have a single front and rear sensor. You don't have them both sides - both headlights should operate together in terms of levelling:

image.thumb.png.ed8a089cdedb6241fae1c52469ad4b2e.png

https://lexus.7zap.com/en/eu/lexus+gs/334510/gws191r-bexqhw/4/8418/847777/

• Thanks 1

Sorry for delay.

Pic was from amayama, but having stuck my head in the wheel arch, can't see one drivers side so your pic is the better Colin 👍

Will try to get the new bar fitted today, went with a throttle linkage in the end, m5 but should have got m6 🙄, but cheap, simple and will do the job and I can keep the ball joints greased (got the ones with release clips) so should last forever now. 

Just need to hope the sensor ok and works as should as not tested it and don't want to fail another mot 🤞

Well the rod worked, now mot'd, so all's well for less than £5 and is changeable with little effort, I did it just on full left lock, no Jack's or wheel off etc. Bit awkward but is doable 👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links