Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GSF Auto lights - Main Beam light cycling on/off normal?

When using auto headlights on my 2017 GSF, I've recently noticed the blue main beam line periodically cycles on/off. The headlamps themselves seem to be functioning normally in auto mode. It seems to occur on busy motorways/dial carriageways. I've had the car almost 3 years and haven't noticed this till very recently. Does anyone know whether this is normal? Thanks

Just to clarify - you have auto on and have engaged main beam by pushing stalk forward and the blue dash light goes on/ off whilst motorway driving?

If it is doing it with traffic around then it will react to oncoming headlights, rear side lights and sometimes bright reflection from signs and that is behaving correctly.

If it is cycling on and off with no traffic around, signs or reflective surfaces etc then it is not behaving correctly, check the sensor is not obscured/ fogged up?

15 hours ago, Pielight said:

When using auto headlights on my 2017 GSF, I've recently noticed the blue main beam line periodically cycles on/off. The headlamps themselves seem to be functioning normally in auto mode. It seems to occur on busy motorways/dial carriageways. I've had the car almost 3 years and haven't noticed this till very recently. Does anyone know whether this is normal? Thanks

Do you have auto main beam on and also left your main beams clicked on lol? That could easily explain this behaviour...

For what it's worth I turned that feature off, it seemed to overreact to things in front of the car and would often turn the main beams off at times when I wanted them on.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

Just to clarify - you have auto on and have engaged main beam by pushing stalk forward and the blue dash light goes on/ off whilst motorway driving?

If it is doing it with traffic around then it will react to oncoming headlights, rear side lights and sometimes bright reflection from signs and that is behaving correctly.

If it is cycling on and off with no traffic around, signs or reflective surfaces etc then it is not behaving correctly, check the sensor is not obscured/ fogged up?

Yes that's what's happening. It could be that I don't often use it on motorway when very busy - thinking about it more, what's probably  happening is that the blue light only goes it when all lights have dipped.

On single carraige way roads it almost always keeps at least one of them on main beam, so you rarely see the blue light go out. A couple if times lately I've just tried leaving it in auto wuth main beam selected on the A1...each time I've noticed the cycling its been really busy. When back on single carriageway roads its dipping just some of the headlights as required and the blue light stays constantly lit as it's always done.

Have you noticed this behaviour too? Thanks

24 minutes ago, Rob RCF said:

Do you have auto main beam on and also left your main beams clicked on lol? That could easily explain this behaviour...

For what it's worth I turned that feature off, it seemed to overreact to things in front of the car and would often turn the main beams off at times when I wanted them on.

Yes...on GSF the auto main/dip only works with the stalk in the main beam position. See reply I've just made to Hockey as giving it more thought, I think it might be doing what it should but I've never really used the feature on busy motorways before.

On the GSF I'm pretty sure you can adjust the sensitivity....is that not possible on yours? thanks for response. 

1 hour ago, Pielight said:

Yes...on GSF the auto main/dip only works with the stalk in the main beam position. See reply I've just made to Hockey as giving it more thought, I think it might be doing what it should but I've never really used the feature on busy motorways before.

On the GSF I'm pretty sure you can adjust the sensitivity....is that not possible on yours? thanks for response. 

Okay, I'm not sure then, I turned mine off as soon as I saw how it behaved and haven't used it since.

I think the sensitivity can be adjusted for the normal lights, but not sure about the main beams (at least on RCF).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

Okay, I'm not sure then, I turned mine off as soon as I saw how it behaved and haven't used it since.

I think the sensitivity can be adjusted for the normal lights, but not sure about the main beams (at least on RCF).

This is one area where the RC F and GS F are different. The RC F has auto high beam to turn off high beam if it detects an on-coming vehicle etc. The GS F has adaptive high beam / matrix headlights to allow high beam to be on and only shadow areas where needed.

image.png.24b17f24be44d00f6c4fc7f925c8255b.png

There are settings for AHB but they are all dealer/Techsteam options not available in-car

image.thumb.png.7336cee6970d2e6924d39ee03b17eccb.png

AHB should only operate above 38 mph and will disengage if it detects too many cars ahead. Check you windscreen is clear in front of the camera. If you have had a new windscreen fitted then the system should be calibrated at the same time.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

This is one area where the RC F and GS F are different. The RC F has auto high beam to turn off high beam if it detects an on-coming vehicle etc. The GS F has adaptive high beam / matrix headlights to allow high beam to be on and only shadow areas where needed.

image.png.24b17f24be44d00f6c4fc7f925c8255b.png

There are settings for AHB but they are all dealer/Techsteam options not available in-car

image.thumb.png.7336cee6970d2e6924d39ee03b17eccb.png

AHB should only operate above 38 mph and will disengage if it detects too many cars ahead. Check you windscreen is clear in front of the camera. If you have had a new windscreen fitted then the system should be calibrated at the 

Thanks....interesting stuff. I didn't realise that higher speed (75+) was also factored in. The marrix system on the gsf I think works great...way better than just having auto dip I had on the 2016 RX450H I had. In fact the only criticism I have of the gsf is the auto dip below 40mph...there are times I'd much maintain the main beam at below 40  mph.

I'm now pretty sure that the cycling of the blue main beam light is down to all matrix lights dipping when all areas are sensed as needing shadowing, ie in very high density traffic...until recently Id not really used auto in those conditions which is probablywhy it caught my eye. 

• Like 2

On 11/19/2022 at 6:38 PM, ColinBarber said:

That is impressive tech!

Having moved from an RCF to a GS with adaptive high beam, I definitely prefer the GS system. The RCF seemed to react too often to reflective road signs at night and slightly later to oncoming traffic, so I was regularly flashed. The only downside with the GS adaptive high beam is having to fumble for the unlit off button when driving country lanes below 40 mph so I can still access high beam. Dipped lights really don’t show any distance ahead in a dark lane.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links