Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Damp, cold safety belts

RevPhilip

Hi All,

I am on to my next job on my SC430 to do list…having almost fixed the roof leak….

Both of my front safety belts feel cold and deep, almost wet when I put them on! I’m guessing this in not normal, so does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be? 

Thank you for any help or info.

Philip 

My guess, water from the roof leak got to them and they're never going to dry out when they're rolled up in a tight cylinder. You need to pull them out all the way to let them dry out properly.

Hi Phillip

I would agree with the earlier comment about your damp seat belts possibly being caused by a water ingress.

I think you interior is beige, if so the belts frequently get marked and stained. I wonder if they like that on your car and the supplying dealer cleaned them but did not allow them to dry properly before you took delivery? If so that's a rooky mistake!

Keep them fully pulled out with pegs or clips to stop them recoiling, then use a hair dryer on them. Also see if you can find any water or damp in the seat belt mechanism and if so remove with a tissue.

All the best, let us know how you get on.

Anthony

• Like 1

I recall having had the same problem with the driver seat-belt of an IS200, my first Lexus, MY2004, bought new. Why the dampness developed was a mystery.  I pulled the belt out all the way, held it in position with a stick wedged between the seat and door, went over it with a hair dryer, then left it in the direct summer sun for a couple of hours with a satisfactory result.  Unfortunately this is not the time of year for the latter option, but if all else fails you could try a sun-lamp.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your help and suggestions. I have already pulled the belt out all the way and let it dry, but days later if feels damp and cold! I’m going to try and check all the roof drain holes in the next week, see if that helps…

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links