Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

World cup England in Quarter final

ALAW

Yes I think national arrogance is what I would define the French attitude. I was in contact with a French friend (well I would not call him a friend, but I have known him for some years) and he has kept saying that France was a better team than England and deserved to win (I think France was just lucky that Kane missed the penalty because had he scored nobody could have been sure that France would have gone through), and denied that France was also lucky against Morocco as Morocco had some good chances that unfortunately did not produce a goal and for most of the match France was only leading 1-0 and both teams were playing at the same level.  He had already celebrated the victory by saying in a message "we are world champions!" even before playing the final and eventually concluded that any team can win at penalties not admitting that for 80 minutes Argentina had widely dominated the match and France did not even seem a finalist. After all the record of Italy winning 2 consecutive World Cup editions with the same manager stays unbeaten.    

• Like 2

To be honest, for all the praise and expectations heaped on France during the tournament,  and the fact that they were holders, I thought they looked fairly average throughout. In their last couple of games especially, they produced very few chances in open play, and were just fortunate enough that the ones they did create they converted.

I'm no great fan of Argentina, but they played exciting football on Sunday, and scored two very good goals, with Di Maria's goal being exceptional.  In fact, had he not been substitued, I'm not sure the game would have gone as far as it did. He was man of the match for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ALAW said:

Wondering if England had won the tournament if we would have seen the same crowds in London as in Buenos Aires.

Absolutely not 🤯, with all the strikes going on how would they get there!! 😎

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, serbarry said:

Yes I think national arrogance is what I would define the French attitude. I was in contact with a French friend (well I would not call him a friend, but I have known him for some years) and he has kept saying that France was a better team than England and deserved to win (I think France was just lucky that Kane missed the penalty because had he scored nobody could have been sure that France would have gone through), and denied that France was also lucky against Morocco as Morocco had some good chances that unfortunately did not produce a goal and for most of the match France was only leading 1-0 and both teams were playing at the same level.  He had already celebrated the victory by saying in a message "we are world champions!" even before playing the final and eventually concluded that any team can win at penalties not admitting that for 80 minutes Argentina had widely dominated the match and France did not even seem a finalist. After all the record of Italy winning 2 consecutive World Cup editions with the same manager stays unbeaten.    

France better than England? I seem to recall the same sentiments being expressed at Crecy and Agincourt 😊, and I won't mention Napoleon if you don't 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2022 at 3:31 PM, Bluemarlin said:

France during the tournament,  and the fact that they were holders, I thought they looked fairly average throughout.

concur

Malc

9 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

and I won't mention Napoleon if you don't 😅

nor the fact that Paris remained largely intact 1939-45  ...  anyway, the Argentine shirts are much more dynamic and deserving of the WIN 

Malc

35 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

nor the fact that Paris remained largely intact 1939-45  ...  anyway, the Argentine shirts are much more dynamic and deserving of the WIN 

Malc

It was thoroughly deserved.

Shame we didn't get to play them in the final. We could have had a pre match parade of Paras, Marines and Gurkhas, followed by a Harrier flypast 🙂

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links