Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

World cup England in Quarter final

ALAW

I don't know what you folks think but I thought that was a very professional performance tonight against the champions of Africa Senegal. So on to next Saturday and we meet the French a very good team and one of the tournament favorites along with Brazil. I reckon we can give either of them a run for their money. ::Come on England::

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Japan getting at least a little bit of support on this site.

They behave far better than most people. Even though they closed the yards on the Clyde. 🎸 🎙️

I find them sympathetic.

• Like 1

Thought it was a rubbish match to be honest. I don't think England showed anything more than beating a weak team.

Senegal looked drab, dont think half of their passes even went to their own players. 

I do think there's a lot of hype over England, pretty much all the time but they seem to scrape through in the euros and world cup against pretty weak teams. Their groups always seem to be some of the easiest. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Thought it was a rubbish match to be honest. I don't think England showed anything more than beating a weak team.

Senegal looked drab, dont think half of their passes even went to their own players. 

I do think there's a lot of hype over England, pretty much all the time but they seem to scrape through in the euros and world cup against pretty weak teams. Their groups always seem to be some of the easiest. 

Not far off the mark Ray. Last time the Senior Team won anything was in 1966, so let`s not go overboard.

• Like 3

Yes, Brazil are favourites, with France second favourites. Argentina are next, followed by England.

I'm unsure about England as, whilst they've won their matches convincingly, their opponents so far haven't been top level ones. That said, they've probably got one of the best squads, where team changes don't detract from the overrall dynamic. So, if games go to right to the end, or even extra time, they have an advantage with fresh legs.

Saturday will be the big test though, if they can beat France they can beat anyone.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

They behave far better than most people. …

Right.  I’ve never seen or heard of a Japanese football hooligan even though, statistically speaking, there must be a few.  As a matter of interest,  is anyone aware of Toyota or Lexus having ever sponsored a football team? 

18 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

Right.  I’ve never seen or heard of a Japanese football hooligan even though, statistically speaking, there must be a few.  As a matter of interest,  is anyone aware of Toyota or Lexus having ever sponsored a football team? 

Good job you inserted the word football 🙂

3 hours ago, Rabbers said:

As a matter of interest,  is anyone aware of Toyota or Lexus having ever sponsored a football team? 

26597662-8168413-image-a-40_1585592096941.thumb.jpg.5ccd3d49a09ccb2494bfd24a76f09321.jpg

Toyota were Fiorentina's shirt sponsor for a number of years. The Lexus brand seems to be targeted at more "affluent" sports like Golf & Tennis.

As for England. I've found them quite boring to watch in most of their matches. There's been too many long periods of the GK, back 4 and Rice passing the ball sideways between each other with seemingly no idea of how to progress farther up the pitch. I swear this went on for about 20mins straight at one point against the USA. Who, they probably should have lost to.

They're capable of anything because of the players they have at their disposal, so it wouldn't surprise me if they beat France, but it's like they play with the handbrake on under Southgate.

As a neutral, the team I would like to win the tournament, is Argentina. Their fans have been amazing and also because of Lionel Messi. He's a joy to watch, even when past his best like he is nowadays, but if he finishes his career with a winners medal, it'll put to bed any argument about his standing in the game and being compared with others.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

So, if games go to right to the end, or even extra time,

the extra 4 minutes ( and slightly extra seconds )  at Half-Time, gave Kane the most MAGNIFICENT goal I thought 

WELL DONE     England .....  keep those twinkle toes putting the ball right to the back of their net ..........  France that is

Malc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J Henderson said:

26597662-8168413-image-a-40_1585592096941.thumb.jpg.5ccd3d49a09ccb2494bfd24a76f09321.jpg

Toyota were Fiorentina's shirt sponsor for a number of years. The Lexus brand seems to be targeted at more "affluent" sports like Golf & Tennis …

Thanks for refreshing my memory, John.  I see that’s Batistuta wearing the shirt.  Another great Argentinian player.  Fiorentina were worth watching in those days.  Not that I blame Toyota pulling their sponsorship for the club’s somewhat lacklustre performance in more recent years!  Might “gentlemanly” perhaps be a better word than “affluent” to describe the sports with which Toyota/Lexus prefers to be associated today?  Of course, as target groups go, this is a difficult one to pin down insofar as not all gentlemen are affluent, or affluent people gentlemen.

20 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

or affluent people gentlemen.

and there's a plethora of those in the press right now             Putin and Oligarchs, Musty Musks and his like .  the *** Celebrities that promoted Elon's Cryptic Crypto fantasies 

............. sorry I'll stop there, the list would be almost endless methinks

just winding me-up a little I guess these Affluents who are merely just so much Effluent in Society

Malc

I'll shut up now eh !

11 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Not far off the mark Ray. Last time the Senior Team won anything was in 1966, so let`s not go overboard.

On our way to winning the world cup in 1966 we beat France. Wonder if that is a good omen.

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, ALAW said:

On our way to winning the world cup in 1966 we beat France. Wonder if that is a good omen.

Sorry Brent. I do not believe in Omens. History is Bunk said Henry F.

I would however hope that we do screw the French.🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/5/2022 at 4:20 PM, J Henderson said:

Toyota were Fiorentina's shirt sponsor for a number of years. The Lexus brand seems to be targeted at more "affluent" sports like Golf & Tennis.

As for England. I've found them quite boring to watch in most of their matches. There's been too many long periods of the GK, back 4 and Rice passing the ball sideways between each other with seemingly no idea of how to progress farther up the pitch. I swear this went on for about 20mins straight at one point against the USA. Who, they probably should have lost to.

They're capable of anything because of the players they have at their disposal, so it wouldn't surprise me if they beat France, but it's like they play with the handbrake on under Southgate.

As a neutral, the team I would like to win the tournament, is Argentina. Their fans have been amazing and also because of Lionel Messi. He's a joy to watch, even when past his best like he is nowadays, but if he finishes his career with a winners medal, it'll put to bed any argument about his standing in the game and being compared with others.

The football is a side show at these tournaments its the fans that make it . I agree the Argies fans have been amazing. For me i enjoyed the senegalese the fans never stopped when we played them.

Like the games and truly enjoyed watching Portugal yesterday ( without R!) but i do think the whole tournament is a disgrace. Apparently the total cost of organizing this including the build of stadiums is more than all previous tournaments together at over 200 billion usd. On top of that the pollution is to be compared with that of WW2. Airconditioners in stadiums even running when no game on. Lets have a worldcup in a tiny islamofascist desert country that has no stadiums nor footballcompetition and as its too hot in summer lets do it in winter. Yes! good idea why not!

Just a thought. ( and brazil will win )

52 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

together at over 200 billion usd.

but in reality wot on earth would the Qataris spend their money on anyway  ?

It's coming out of their ears ( $$$$$ so as to speak ) and apart from their enormous and significant world changing charitable works  ( are there any ? ) ...........wot else would the zillions be spent on ?

Your thoughts ?

Malc

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

but in reality wot on earth would the Qataris spend their money on anyway  ?

It's coming out of their ears ( $$$$$ so as to speak ) and apart from their enormous and significant world changing charitable works  ( are there any ? ) ...........wot else would the zillions be spent on ?

Your thoughts ?

Malc

Bribing the Fifa?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/5/2022 at 4:20 PM, J Henderson said:

Marmite is how I would describe England. Yes, the handbrake must be off. We could even win this cup   ..... really!

• Like 2

On 12/6/2022 at 10:48 PM, ALAW said:

The football is a side show at these tournaments its the fans that make it . I agree the Argies fans have been amazing. For me i enjoyed the senegalese the fans never stopped when we played them.

And whilst this charade is going on no comment from the media on of the greatest Test matches ever with England, under Ben Stokes, conjuring up the most unlikely of outcomes in Pakistan 🥳🥳🥳

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links