Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cold Weather Problem?

Gregory Jones

Hi All,

I have just started to have a problem with my sat nav giving a message "unable to read the ST Data Card, contact your dealer". It happened for the first time last night, but when I arrived home after a journey of 20 miles it started working again after switching the ignition off and back on.

This morning (outside temp 0 degrees) it failed again. I checked the 12v Battery and had a reading of 11.8v. Could it be that the 12v Battery is past its best? The car is a late 2016 with all the bells and whistles.

Any one had this happen to them.

Greg

Whilst I cannot make an informed observation on the SatNav issue, your Battery reading only 11.8v is most certainly an issue, and cold weather will certainly pinpoint that.

I would get a new Battery pdq.   (and yes - you may well find the SatNav's a little happier too!)

• Like 3

6 years for a Battery that should only start the computer is not a long time, but temperatures up and down may be hard on batteries.

More or less like a Battery on a laptop. Some last 10 years and some only as long as they are warranted. Just had service on our CT and were told everything is like it should be, whatever that may mean.

• Like 1

If you have the access to be able to charge the 12v Battery on your drive consider charging the Battery with a trickle charger. 6 years is not long but it does depend on how regular the car is used if left unused for days it can deplete the Battery especially in cold conditions. 

Noco Genius 5 can be bought for under £100 charge it every couple of months & you wont have a flat Battery issue as long as the Battery is in reasonable health. 

Or if you dont want to be stranded invest in a Noco GB40 booster pack its basically a jump starter without the need for a another car or long wait for recovery. 

Failing all that just buy a new Battery & keep it charged. :santa:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gregory Jones said:

This morning (outside temp 0 degrees) it failed again. I checked the 12v battery and had a reading of 11.8v. Could it be that the 12v battery is past its best?

It could indeed and with winter coming it may only get worse, so I'd change it now.

1050349206_batterycharge.thumb.jpg.a13451e217c18218d5ad1984c86c8ef5.jpg

• Like 4

Doesn't take much standing around for the Battery to drop below 12v on these cars. Whether you replace it or not I would advise getting a smart charger with a comfort lead in the boot for easy access, if the car is stood for a week or 2.

Changed mine soon after buying the car 2018 and the new one didn't really perform much better than the old one . Voltage check is not a true analysis of the the Battery condition only that the voltage is low.

If you get something like a cheap Battery tester for Xmas £20-£30 😉 it will tell you, cranking amps, Battery condition, charging amps, voltage etc and if the Battery needs changing or just charging. Even at 11.5v mine reads good condition and does not need changing.

Of course the reason for the low voltage could be another can of worms. Even so, as long as the Battery can get you to ready. in Hybrid Battery mode you shouldn't really be experiencing low voltage issues.

I have had a booster pack for many years much to the delight of neighbours every winter who reward me with winter wine 😂

Never need to use it on any of my own vehicles yet touchwood, but the great LED torch, tyre pump and phone charging functions are useful additions to have.

Just to give you an update. After checking the Battery every morning (very low) I was confident that that was what the problem was. Contacted the Cardiff Lexus dealer who quoted me an eye watering £204 for the Battery and £35 to fit for a 1 year warrant lead acid Battery.

I found a company on line called Battery Megastore Warehouse who quoted me £104 for a 5 year warranty AGM Battery, which I have just fitted today.

So far so good.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links