Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus IS250 - Rattle under steering wheel/dash/pedals when driving slow - video

Hi all,

Bought a 2006 IS250 Sport but didn't hear any weird noises when test driving. However now that I've driven it more I occasionally (over uneven surfaces and sometimes when the car is put into reverse) I hear a rattle from under the steering wheel/dash. The car has already had the fix for the common dash rattling as far as I can see from the service book.

I have actually found a video with the exact same noise. Wondering if anyone can help me because the noise randomly occurs so it would be difficult to inspect for a mechanic (in theory).

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I suspect underside panels rattling loose. The can catch wind and just oscillate. Or maybe wheel catching on loose inner arch lining.   

Thanks I was thinking that or a loose exhaust. Someone actually commented on the video saying it's a loose exhaust. This definitely isn't the usual dash rattle that people hear is it?

Appreciate the help @Linas.P and @Steve ! Hard one to identify because it occurs randomly (pushing down on the dash or other bits hasn't helped ) but I suppose I better ask a mechanic to have a look at the trims & panels under the car. 

If anyone else has experienced dash rattle (including the TSB for dash rattle) , I would love to know if that sound is similar? I'd rather it be plastic under the car then the clips in the dash there was  a recall for 😄

There was no recall far dash rattle, but US being huge market for Lexus many owners had complained and got their dash fixed under warranty, it was more like good gesture thing, but mostly whilst cars were new and only for people who complained. Similar story with sticky dash, it was not a recall, but it was TSIB - again basically the owners should have complained about it and Lexus had technical bulletin which allowed dealers to cover the cost and replace sticky dash. I would say mk2 dash rattles are overblown thing, they really not that bad and generally similar to other cars in the same segment. I guess them being well insulated and generally comfortable and quiet does not help... as then even small noise becomes more noticeable, but overall they are no more prone to dash rattle than Audi, MB or BMW... 

One of my IS250s had like a crack noise in the dash, it would be consistently after driving for 20-30 minutes with either cooling or heating on I would hear crack somewhere deep in the dash, but that would be about it. I thought I had rattle few times, but it was always something loose in the door pockets, or glovebox.

I hope that covers dash rattles and how Lexus dealt with them.

As for the sound you have... I had very similar one few times - once when my oil filter cover was lose, started dragging on the road and made quite a bit of noise and second when small lip in front of front wheel got detached and started rubbing against the wheel.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update on this:

Brought to my mechanics a couple of weeks ago and they said the wishbone bearings were completely shot on both sides and so they were replaced. They also did a caliper on the front left and welded the exhaust with some new clips.

Anyway the sound is gone now so I'd deduce it was the wishbone bearings!

If you hear that sound then it's most likely that!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just out of interest how much did you pay for the wishbone bearings, my 2006 is250 started making a similar noise yesterday, mainly after steering / turning. Its booked to go to the garage tomorrow. 

I've had the car a long time, it probably needs replacing sometime soon (next year or so).

Once i've repaired this problem what else should i expect to go? (ignoring braking components etc).

Recently had: Battery, alternator, water pump, spark plugs, 1 x door lock actuator. 

Its had all the alloys refurbished 5/6 years ago as they were a state. 

my previous car was a corolla, i felt it was time to move on but i didnt take any action, then the gearbox went and i spent the value of the car fixing it before selling it for very little. Dont want to end up in that situation again, but car prices now are so crazy.... 

• 1 month later...

I'm getting a similar noise, but I can reproduce it when the car is in Park and I rev at 1300rpm. Surely there wouldn't be pressure on wishbones when the car isn't moving? It started happening on a windy morning so I suspect something has got caught in the wind and is rubbing. I just can't see what.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links