Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ES300H TAKUMI - wheel arch CAN BUS theft

Colenso

7 hours ago, Derant said:

Confirmed by the police they simply cut through the steering to remove the steering lock. 

The Disklock covering the full wheel seems the only viable way to go, I have ordered one as a precaution. However fitting them is a real pain. Perhaps Lexus dealers can start stocking them and put them on the official vehicle accessory list....

I have one and it’s not a pain at all. Worth taking an extra 30sec than risk my car getting stolen. 
Precautions I have taken, factory alarm, after markets alarm and tracker with two immobilisers, which includes no tag, no start, disclock, bollards on the drive. If after this they attempt to take the car, they can have it. They deserve it after all the effort they have go to.

18 minutes ago, Arqum said:

I have one and it’s not a pain at all. 

Depends what you consider a pain, all relative of course. The procedure as I see it for the Disklok is:

1, open boot 

2, remove Disklok from storage holder (unless people are happy to keep such a heavy item in the cabin?!)

3, close boot

4, place the official protective cover over the steering wheel to prevent lay marks and scuffing

5, align Disklok and secure 

Perhaps if you have a lot of free time and do little driving then it might not be a pain....

31 minutes ago, Arqum said:

I have one and it’s not a pain at all.

I would agree.  I’ve had a couple and as I recall it’s just a matter of dropping it over the steering wheel and turning the key.  Importantly, removal was just as easy.

I’m now using a Milenco - although I do find it a little more difficult.  However, it passed the same 5-minute resistance test and I always found the Disklok more awkward to store in the car simply because of its size.  But if that’s not a problem, then I doubt there’s a simpler, more secure steering wheel lock on the market.

3 minutes ago, LenT said:

as I recall it’s just a matter of dropping it over the steering wheel and turning the key.  Importantly, removal was just as easy.

Key is not required to lock, only when unlocking.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cs150 said:

Depends what you consider a pain, all relative of course. The procedure as I see it for the Disklok is:

1, open boot 

2, remove Disklok from storage holder (unless people are happy to keep such a heavy item in the cabin?!)

3, close boot

4, place the official protective cover over the steering wheel to prevent lay marks and scuffing

5, align Disklok and secure 

Perhaps if you have a lot of free time and do little driving then it might not be a pain....

Again the above to me is not time consuming at all. It’s not about free time. My 70 dad has one on his car and he has no issues removing or putting it on. I drive everyday and regardless of parking at home or in a supermarket, it goes on. If you look at the bigger picture, is the extra time taken not worth it considering what you have to go through if the car is stolen etc.

• Like 1

I’m on the camp of it being a pain and worried about scuffs, not to mention the added weight / heft to carry in my relatively small boot (LC). The right answer is a software fix. Or hardware fix. 

Else as others have mentioned, insurance premiums will continue to sky rocket, customers will be turned off. 

15 minutes ago, shapiro said:

I’m on the camp of it being a pain and worried about scuffs, not to mention the added weight / heft to carry in my relatively small boot (LC). The right answer is a software fix. Or hardware fix. 

Else as others have mentioned, insurance premiums will continue to sky rocket, customers will be turned off. 

There's been a software fix. That's probably what stopped them being able to drive mine away when they tried. Unfortunately, Lexus haven't informed the scrotes, and until they do and the word spreads to all of them, they're going to keep on trying

• Sad 1

Why is it I can find multiple videos of people on youtube being able to turn the wheel with those diskloks installed? Is the special sauce the "official protective cover"? Is it some kind of extra slick velvet that makes it spin instead of grab?

25 minutes ago, Dippo said:

There's been a software fix. That's probably what stopped them being able to drive mine away when they tried. Unfortunately, Lexus haven't informed the scrotes, and until they do and the word spreads to all of them, they're going to keep on trying

Is yours an MY23? According to my dealer that's the first year the fix was applied and the bus was encrypted. If not, had you turned off the keyless feature from the car itself?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arqum said:

Again the above to me is not time consuming at all. It’s not about free time. My 70 dad has one on his car and he has no issues removing or putting it on. I drive everyday and regardless of parking at home or in a supermarket, it goes on. If you look at the bigger picture, is the extra time taken not worth it considering what you have to go through if the car is stolen etc.

It is all relative, to me that is a pain when I typically use the ES for 3 or 4 trips per day that is much inconvenience. Even on my weekend toy vehicle which is worth much more than the ES do not have to take such measures.

1 hour ago, peniole said:

Is yours an MY23? According to my dealer that's the first year the fix was applied and the bus was encrypted. If not, had you turned off the keyless feature from the car itself?

Yes - built September 2022.

2 hours ago, Cs150 said:

Key is not required to lock, only when unlocking.

You’re quite right, Carl.  I was thinking of the original versions, of which I still have one example.

Not for us yer fancy wheel protector and yer smart carry bag!  But that’s progress!  😊

On 11/5/2023 at 1:43 PM, NICO1972 said:

Here is a lovely response I received from Chris Hayes CEO Lexus - at the moment, process is very slow from my insurance car repair workshop as I am yet to discover what is being done with the loom cable - so frustrating as it is going rather slow to get this in motion from the repair centre:

Dear Nick,

Thanks for reaching out, and please accept our genuine empathy for the situation you have found yourself in.

I’ve spoken to the team, and if they have not done so already, they will be in touch to confirm that we can and we will arrange an alternative vehicle for you directly.

Please just leave that with us for a moment.

I’m reviewing details later this week and will be back in touch (the team will) as necessary.

Again, so sorry to hear of this situation, it’s a harrowing and really unsettling experience all round.

Please let me reassure you we are doing all we can, as quickly as we can to neutralise any and all vehicle thefts to our models.

The type of organised and coordinated activities the industry has seen (all brands) in recent months, and particularly in the London area, has been frankly unprecedented.

We will do all we can to support you and your ownership experience in the interim.

Warm regards,

Chris.

Dear all,

It is only today (16th Nov) that I am getting my car back from the workshop. They said that the loom cable did not need to be replaced but that the repair was successful and a new adaptor was plugged in on the headlight. new bumper was fitted in to complete the work. So I was without my car for near 6 weeks and had to bear driving the Hyundai Ionic in the meantime.

All in all, I am extremely displeased with my insurance (Churchill) for failing to provide me with a car that is in the same category group as my ES, so they will be informed that I will cancel Churchill insurance as I have got another car insurance set up for a new vehicle that I am going to pick up tomorrow. Yes, sadly I am getting rid of the ES300h, as I do not wish to repeat this experience should there be a 3rd time with another attempted theft. I certainly am not willing or prepared to wait for another 6 weeks without my car for more repairs to be done worse is if the loom cable needs replacing, it would be a 3 months wait without the ES. 

In my opinion, Lexus has seriously failed to address this matter quickly: currently all ES are vulnerable, even if the 2023 is more secure with the encrypted CANBUS, it will not fully stop thieves from trying to steal the car knowing how easy it seems to be with headlight hacking techniques, so prospect of damaging the bumper and loom cable remains a huge risk in my opinion. I remain glad that the Metatrak Plus as additional immobiliser has done a great job keeping my car in my parking drive regardless of the 2 attempted thefts.

So, tomorrow I am picking up an AUDI A6 AVANT 2.0L Black Edition Quattro S Line 2018, which ticks all the boxes with all options I wanted. I never had this car before and think it will be a very practical car for my family. However, I am still a Lexus fan and I am keeping my SC430 and NX300H.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NICO1972 said:

Dear all,

It is only today (16th Nov) that I am getting my car back from the workshop. They said that the loom cable did not need to be replaced but that the repair was successful and a new adaptor was plugged in on the headlight. new bumper was fitted in to complete the work. So I was without my car for near 6 weeks and had to bear driving the Hyundai Ionic in the meantime.

All in all, I am extremely displeased with my insurance (Churchill) for failing to provide me with a car that is in the same category group as my ES, so they will be informed that I will cancel Churchill insurance as I have got another car insurance set up for a new vehicle that I am going to pick up tomorrow. Yes, sadly I am getting rid of the ES300h, as I do not wish to repeat this experience should there be a 3rd time with another attempted theft. I certainly am not willing or prepared to wait for another 6 weeks without my car for more repairs to be done worse is if the loom cable needs replacing, it would be a 3 months wait without the ES. 

In my opinion, Lexus has seriously failed to address this matter quickly: currently all ES are vulnerable, even if the 2023 is more secure with the encrypted CANBUS, it will not fully stop thieves from trying to steal the car knowing how easy it seems to be with headlight hacking techniques, so prospect of damaging the bumper and loom cable remains a huge risk in my opinion. I remain glad that the Metatrak Plus as additional immobiliser has done a great job keeping my car in my parking drive regardless of the 2 attempted thefts.

So, tomorrow I am picking up an AUDI A6 AVANT 2.0L Black Edition Quattro S Line 2018, which ticks all the boxes with all options I wanted. I never had this car before and think it will be a very practical car for my family. However, I am still a Lexus fan and I am keeping my SC430 and NX300H.

Should you feel the urge to offload that SC 430 you know how to find me.

Hope the new car works out for you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Should you feel the urge to offload that SC 430 you know how to find me.

Hope the new car works out for you.

Ahah, no way, the SC430 is a keeper for a long time to come!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NICO1972 said:

All in all, I am extremely displeased with my insurance (Churchill)

I was lucky Churchill refused to insure my IsF for another year.. Good riddance to them.

3 hours ago, GMB said:

I was lucky Churchill refused to insure my IsF for another year.. Good riddance to them.

So now when you have to answer the question 'have you ever been refused insurance ' and you answer honestly (yes) the premium increases.

Churchill actually made a point of saying that I have not been "refused" insurance so can answer "No" to that question. They, as a company, have declined to offer to renew the insurance based on the underwriter's new criteria. So All's well.

They just don't want Lexus cars ( certain models ).  They offered to insure my other Lexus for a nice 60% increase. 

No way José🤠

They even put it in writing in a letter to me so at least they did the honourable thing in that respect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GMB said:

Churchill actually made a point of saying that I have not been "refused" insurance so can answer "No" to that question. They, as a company, have declined to offer to renew the insurance based on the underwriter's new criteria. So All's well.

They just don't want Lexus cars ( certain models ).  They offered to insure my other Lexus for a nice 60% increase. 

No way José🤠

They even put it in writing in a letter to me so at least they did the honourable thing in that respect.

"They even put it in writing in a letter to me so at least they did the honourable thing in that respect."

I had a word with BOB, showed him the photos, and I am glad I could help.😉

Oh dear, sorry to hear about the theft. So pleased it has been recovered. As you can see from my previous threads my son had an attempted theft some weeks ago. Would it be practical? to have some sort of “switch” to lock the brakes and accelerator or a mechanical lockable device for the brake and accelerator pedals? This seems simplistic, but surely we need to bypass this canbus malarkey. This is such a worrying situation for ES owners and the implications of heavily increased insurance premiums.

3 hours ago, cdmaskell said:

but surely we need to bypass this canbus malarkey.

A suggestion I’ve made a couple of times - which I believe achieves this - is to fit a ‘Kill Switch’.  When I had a Lotus Elan it was a simple switch that broke the low tension lead to the distributor.  I don’t know if this can be done with modern ignition systems.

But what I have seen is a ‘Kill Switch’ to the fuel pump.  This achieves the same effect, in that the engine will churn over but fail to fire up.  I can’t imagine that attacking the Canbus will reveal this cause - but I may be wrong!

Short of running through a spark/fuel diagnostic analysis - or calling out the AA - I can’t imagine the average chummy hanging around to sort out the problem!

This one video installation- others are available….

This is an email conversation I have had over the last couple of days with my local dealer. I answered with my thoughts. I have removed names to protect the innocent as they say!

Good Afternoon Mr 

I hope you are well.

How are you getting on with the ES? Is it still suiting your needs?

I have an amazing opportunity on a Brand-New ES 300h F SPORT Takumi.

It is physical in our showroom, ready for immediate delivery.

I can send you a video of the vehicle. Let me know what you think.

You are in a very good position to change.

Could you come in and see me, we can have a coffee and go over everything. See how much your car is worth and go through a deal.

What do you think?

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Many Thanks,

My reply……..

Hi

I will be hanging on to my ES for the time being. To be honest l wouldn't consider another Lexus particularly an ES while they are so easy to steal. If Lexus where to address this matter l would reconsider.

Neil

Their reply……….

Good Morning Mr

I completely understand where you are coming from, and a lot of our customers have said the same thing. But if you are enjoying the ES 300h that shouldn’t stop you from having a car that you love. Have you considered a steering lock just to put your mind at ease. If you change your mind, please don’t hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. I am more than happy to go through everything with you. I will send you a video of the ES 300h F SPORT Takumi, let me know what you think.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Many Thanks,

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links