Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Insurance

Mr Vlad

Well after reading a few threads I thought I'd give Lexus Insurance a try. Went on the site and could I get a quote for January? NO. So guess what. I bought RAC at 20 quid cheaper than last year and cheaper than I've had for years. Thanks MSM.

• 1 month later...

Mirrors my experience of the website not working and staff unable to help with a quote (see thread Lexus Insurance on Newish Vehicle posted 2 Dec 22.

I've come to expect lousy customer service from companies (in general) when I need support but usually these companies are helpful enough when it comes to selling me something.

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2023 at 6:26 PM, Harrier Man said:

Mirrors my experience of the website not working and staff unable to help with a quote (see thread Lexus Insurance on Newish Vehicle posted 2 Dec 22.

I've come to expect lousy customer service from companies (in general) when I need support but usually these companies are helpful enough when it comes to selling me something.

Now they add insult to injury by telling you all their incompetence is "due to COVID". It's a *****-take.

• 9 months later...

If anyone is considering using Lexus Motor Insurance, and you are planning on driving to the EU, make sure you either ask for a quote with an extended EU cover or simply just look for one where it is standard to have a 30-day plus third-party cover. 

I'm in the process or a rude awakening because it never occurred to me after having read government and independent guidance on motor insurance that it is possible to not have EU third-party cover when you take out insurance in the UK, particularly when it's comprehensive. After all the UK was in the EU up until 2021, which means all insurance up to that point had to have compulsory third-party cover valid across the EU as standard. Which must mean they removed it.

Lexus Motor Insurance told me today I don't have any cover in the EU, because I spent more than 3 days (three), which makes me liable to damage I caused. I will financially survive, but that's about it.

Maybe it's obvious to most of you, but it never to me that a 3-day limitation can possibly apply to third-party cover. In fact, I find it shocking. I genuinely thought, even after having read documents, that there is third-party cover in the EU. Better still, turns out, I was driving illegally. The joke is on me.

A quick review of the matter also indicates other insurers offer 30, some even 90-day third-party cover as standard of their policy schedule, at no discernible extra cost against the quote. Admiral offers 90 days as standard except for their "Essential" policy

Looks like Lexus Motor Insurance does not only offer substandard customer service but also a substandard product.

This experience, together another one when I got rejected on a heating servo repair that was originally covered under my extended warranty plan because I didn't bring the car in when they wanted, makes me leave Lexus-branded services behind. Even if I get the car repaired (probably £5000 for a car that's worth less than £10k) and keep it, I don't think I will use any Lexus UK services in the future. What they are selling I now realise is a pretence of premium and a false sense of peace of mind that people believe because the cars are impeccably built - in Japan.

I don't see legal recourse for me, but filing complaints with both LMI and Lexus UK about these matters. A response will surely not be too big an ask after having spent several thousand pounds on their insurance and service plans.

• Sad 1

I too was under the impression that all UK car insurance included minimum 3rd party whilst driving in the EEA (comprehensive cover however is usually limited or at additional cost). This is the Government website stating it: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/driving-abroad

Was it the dsmege to your car or the 3rd party that Lexus is saying is not covered? 

The Lexus policy provides third party cover in the EU:

The cover provided in this insurance policy applies within the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man and in all EU countries as well as certain other countries listed in the Private Car Policy Document. However, full policy cover when driving outside of the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man is limited to 3 days in an annual period of policy cover. After this 3 day period, loss or damage to your car will be excluded.

SECTION 6 USING YOUR CAR ABROAD

EUROPEAN UNION/ EEA COMPULSORY INSURANCE

Your policy provides the minimum compulsory insurance in the countries listed below. Please note that this minimum compulsory insurance does not provide the same level of cover as your policy.

Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany,Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.

If you wish to drive abroad, you must ensure that you have any documentation required to evidence insurance. If you travel to any of the countries listed above, you may need a Green Card in addition to your Certificate of Motor Insurance to evidence you hold the minimum compulsory insurance.

For those who do travel to the EU,  I can confirm that Direct Line provide fully comp cover for, I think, 90 days in the EU. I have the top level policy (£600ish a year), so not sure if it's only at that level or whether lower tiers include it too.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links