Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Wheel

Just wondered had anyone else this issue. I have had my 2019 nx300h for 6 months and like it. One day I noticed that the steering wheel was off center slightly to the left with the resultant veering to the left on the highway. Despite two alignments, nothing has changed. I will take it to the dealer in the new year, in the meantime, has anyone else had this problem?

Hi Adrian

If the steering wheel is off to the left the car will indeed veer to the left. This is normal. Most roads have camber such that the highest point is the centre of the road so the car will naturally drift left and you may find the steering wheel needs to be held slightly to the right in order to drive in a straight line. This is also normal.

Mark

Mark

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of normal road camber. But my nx steering wheel sits at about 1150 instead of midday, going by the lexus emblem in the centre. That cannot be right. And as i said the alignments didnt fix it.

Adrian

1 hour ago, Adrian7 said:

Mark

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of normal road camber. But my nx steering wheel sits at about 1150 instead of midday, going by the lexus emblem in the centre. That cannot be right. And as i said the alignments didnt fix it.

Adrian

So does it veer to the left or the right? If the steering wheel is at 1150 going straight then I'd expect it to veer to the right if the wheel was at 12?

Regardless, since you've probably ruled out alignment, the next thing I would do is swap the front tyres left to right and see if the pull changes direction. If it does then your problem is a tyre.

1 hour ago, m4rkw said:

Regardless, since you've probably ruled out alignment, the next thing I would do is swap the front tyres left to right and see if the pull changes direction. If it does then your problem is a tyre.

Just a small point…before you try this, ensure that the tyres are not asymmetric and are still rotating in the correct direction and that the tyre pressures are correct!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Adrian7 said:

Mark

Adrian

Make sure the dealership also zeros (centres) the electric steering ECU

I had similar problem with my RC and it only got fixed after having the ADAS recalibration when the windscreen was replaced.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Make sure the dealership also zeros (centres) the electric steering ECU

Reading this prompted warm, nostalgic memories of the simplicity of rack-and-pinion!  😊

• Like 3

Adrian.. Just a Thought Do you put a steering wheel lock on the car at night Some of these are pretty heavy and tend to put pressure on the steering wheel at at a predisposed angle  Worth mentioning just in case this is pulling the steering wheel off alignment...Ron  Merry Christmas To You and all The Family..

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links