Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

thinking of 250 sel convertible... issues?

hi everyone, 

I'm thinking of getting a 2010 is250 hard convertible, and was wondering if there are known issues with it

eg..eos vw with similar roof has big issues with leaks etc 

thanks 

dan

No real issues with the IS250C, it’s pretty similar to the standard IS250 and the roof opening and closing mechanism is pretty solid, just make sure when you do buy it that this is working as expected and as long as you look after the car it’ll look after you. My mums IS250C SE-L is a Cat D write off we picked up for pennies and it’s treated us very well so far. 

id try and get a SE-L top spec if possible but se-l’s are a reasonably good spec. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apart of roof, there are no issues to speak off in IS250. Basically all the things it shares with normal IS250 are reliable, the roof is an issue on all old convertibles, but it is fair to say even Lexus roofs are better than BMW/MB and certainly better than VW Eos or any horrible cars French makes. All in all solid car, but convertible is convertible - one more thing to fail and they do fail, just maybe not as often as other makes. 

• Thanks 1

Hi as previously said ,a very good car ,probably the best car I have ever had.Had mine over 7 years and will really struggle to find a replacement.Mine runs like a Swiss watch and as a retired engineer I do all my own maintenance so I know its done correctly .Some issues can occur with the roof but it is mostly micro switches ,the problem is finding a good electrician to sort it .Practically it is a great car to drive ,a great cruiser for the summer ;not a sports car (I had my MX 5 for that) Down side ,cramped rear seats ,small boot with the hood down ,SEL if possible but the sat nav on the latest HDD models can no longer be updated ,not a real problem.This is the best time to buy before the sun comes out ;you may have to travel for the right car but there are still some nice ones about ,good luck keep us informed on your progress

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dan,

I agree with what Dave and Bilal have said above. These are lovely cars abd are superbly well engineered.

Roof leaks are not an issue and in my nearly four years of ownership I have had absolutely no issues with the car.

There were only roughly 800 examples registered in the UK from 2009 to 2012 and good examples for sale seem to be getting harder to find so if the right car

comes up I would'nt hesitate too long.

Best of luck.

Dec.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beamish said:

Hi Dan,

I agree with what Dave and Bilal have said above. These are lovely cars abd are superbly well engineered.

Roof leaks are not an issue and in my nearly four years of ownership I have had absolutely no issues with the car.

There were only roughly 800 examples registered in the UK from 2009 to 2012 and good examples for sale seem to be getting harder to find so if the right car

comes up I would'nt hesitate too long.

Best of luck.

Dec.

wow! just noticed those numbers... going to be tricky then 😕😃 

many thanks Dec 

cheers 

One thing worth mentioning mate that I forgot to mention before, the only gripe with the convertibles are that they come with a pretty terrible tyre repair kit instead of a spare wheel under the boot. After my mum managed a flat tyre I opted to go get a spare wheel from a breaker and if you remove the original parcel undertray or adapt it you can fit the standard IS250 spare wheel and this is a much better solution than faffing around with the tyre repair kit. It’ll come with the car jack and fixings to take the wheel off but I’d happily take the slight increase in weight for the convenience. 

one interesting quirk you’ll also notice is that all the boot carpet liners and undertray across the entire convertible range is tan, I may do a little project and dye the Carpet liners black and paint the components black to make it a little more aesthetically pleasing. Your boot struts may also be worn and it may be hard to lift the boot up but a replacement set from SGS engineering seems To do the job nicely 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am selling my IS 250 Convertible it’s. 2009 in e Excellent condition, it has a current Lexus UK service plan (it’s been looked after by Lexus UK) and a warranty until June 2023 (which can be rescheduled) 

it currently has 65k on the clock and is top of the range.

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2023 at 6:20 PM, danx55 said:

hi everyone, 

I'm thinking of getting a 2010 is250 hard convertible, and was wondering if there are known issues with it

eg..eos vw with similar roof has big issues with leaks etc 

thanks 

dan

I am selling my IS 250 convertible.

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links