Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

3 year service plan on new car

taxiboy

When i put down a £500 deposit for my new ES in June last year, I was offered a 3 year service pack for £940. On picking up the car last week, I was then told that the price presented is no longer available and was told the cost is now £1,620. I am obviously quite upset with a 72% increase. 

Does anyone know if there's any other alternatives? I am in the MIlton Keynes area, thank you

7 minutes ago, taxiboy said:

When i put down a £500 deposit for my new ES in June last year, I was offered a 3 year service pack for £940. On picking up the car last week, I was then told that the price presented is no longer available and was told the cost is now £1,620. I am obviously quite upset with a 72% increase. 

Does anyone know if there's any other alternatives? I am in the MIlton Keynes area, thank you

That’s alarming if it becomes a trend, I suppose they will blame the increase on inflation. Am not sure you will have a room to wiggle as the Service Contract is indeed a “stand alone contract” distinct from the car purchase. However you are not obliged to take out the service contract- you can simply pay for your yearly services whenever they are due, but you loose the other benefits that come with a service plan such as 10% off parts and free puncture repairs etc. 

Join.. The Lexus Owners club Think They still Have the deal of £39 for two Years which entitles you to Discounts of Servicing and Parts at most lexus dealerships as well as a host of other Benefits from Various Companies... Halfords offer you a 10% discount of purchases etc.. Well Worth Joining..

3 hours ago, taxiboy said:

Very cheeky from MK, 

I have a 3yr plan from them, £1045 which I took out Dec 2021, so just had first service last month. I am paying interest free over the three years.

does that mean the price of a service is around £550-600 now

40 minutes ago, Tonyw said:

Very cheeky from MK, 

I have a 3yr plan from them, £1045 which I took out Dec 2021, so just had first service last month. I am paying interest free over the three years.

does that mean the price of a service is around £550-600 now

Not wishing to be pedantic but “Interest free”  with a service plan is strictly not correct.

You are not getting the service first and paying later, rather the other way round.

Each service will have been paid for by the time it’s undertaken.

I will concede that the service price is fixed, and does even out cash flow, and I have one.

According to Lexus website, es service costs for first 3 years should be £305, £580, £305, plus mot at say £50 so £1240.

With a new car the company who Lexus uses to process the service plans may well let you pay for a 10 year plan at todays prices. 

with rampant inflation, buying future services, monthly, at todays prices should save a lot.

On 1/19/2023 at 6:03 PM, taxiboy said:

The quoted price is the one that's current at the time.  Unfortunately if you take it up seven months later, then that still applies!  The benefit of the Service Plan is that whatever increases happen in the next three years, they don't affect you.

As it happens, I have just renewed my Three Year Plan with Lexus MK.  So I now get two Intermediate and one Full Service plus three MOTs at a discount of £10 off each, for £1337.  I regard that as not just a hedge against inflation but also one less thing to remember and organise as Lexus does it all for me - including Collection & Delivery for an extra £12.

Incidentally, it is refundable if you sell the car.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 6:03 PM, taxiboy said:

See https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/servicing-mot-hybrid-health-check and just add up how many intermediate and full services you are purchasing based on your mileage in the 3 years and that is what the dealer should be charging. If more, then what are are adding on? The quote you have looks some £400 more that it should be based on two intermediate and one full service. 

On 1/19/2023 at 10:40 PM, deltapapa said:

Not wishing to be pedantic but “Interest free”  with a service plan is strictly not correct.

You are not getting the service first and paying later, rather the other way round.

Each service will have been paid for by the time it’s undertaken.

I will concede that the service price is fixed, and does even out cash flow, and I have one.

But is it that simple? Aren't you paying a regular 1/12th of a fixed cost for a service to be performed one year hence? Yes you are losing interest on the money which I reckon is about £3. Against that you have the possible effect of annual inflation, let's be kind and say 5% or say £30 so in fact you are "making/not losing" &£27 💸💸💸

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, taxiboy said:

THank you for all the replies. I've gotten no where with the dealer so will be raising a complaint I think.

I may have missed something here, Tony, but you say you’ve got nowhere with the Dealer but you haven’t supplied a detailed breakdown of the 3-year Plan that supports the total of £1620.

My Plan, which I described in an earlier post, comes to £283 less - which I believe to be perfectly reasonable and offers benefits beyond that of the cost outlay.  So I’d be interested to know in what respects our two Plans differ in detail.

Hi Len

The service plan offerred is for 1 MOT, 2 intermediate & 1 full. Prior to purchasing the car I was told that cost was £940 for 3 services, no mention of it changing or when it starts. I have this in writing so will be raising this.

17 minutes ago, taxiboy said:

Hi Len

The service plan offerred is for 1 MOT, 2 intermediate & 1 full. Prior to purchasing the car I was told that cost was £940 for 3 services, no mention of it changing or when it starts. I have this in writing so will be raising this.

Surely until you take it up it was only a quotation. It would only become a contract when you sign on the dotted line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taxiboy said:

Hi Len

Well that’s certainly interesting.  It appears that for £283 less I got two extra MoTs.  Of course, this raises the possibility that service costs for your newer ES300 are greater than for my older IS250.

But I would also agree with the point that Neil makes.  All estimates and quotes are only valid for a specified period. I can’t really see that complaining to the Dealer that it has increased seven months later is going to be received that sympathetically.

Perhaps a more regretful and conciliatory approach might at least obtain a useful reduction - especially if you mention that you would  have hoped to keep the regular, future servicing business with them.

3 hours ago, taxiboy said:

Hi Len

According to the Lexus website for an ES that should be £1190 plus an MoT - even at £55 (which is the absolute max a garage can charge) for the MoT that's only £1245 - I'd show them the Lexus website and ask why it's more than that - also you can pay for a service plan monthly with no interest added. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links