Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stats on NX 450h+ Predicted EV Range

Quite honestly I can't see the point of having an estimate of, with or without A/C. A small difference with no real value. 

I would rather know the difference between the estimated and the real range. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pm4 said:

Quite honestly I can't see the point of having an estimate of, with or without A/C. A small difference with no real value. 

I would rather know the difference between the estimated and the real range. 

I’d prefer a second key fob and some locking wheel nuts. Your idea is cool, especially since AC is now in hibernation!

• Like 3

Consistent result from previous with the overnight charge at 51.2/45.6. Battery was completed depleted again and temperatures were below zero. Actual from yesterday's charge was a disappointing 31.9 miles on a regular journey that gave 48 - 50 in the summer months. Daytime temperatures yesterday were never above 5 degrees. Batteries certainly don't like the cold!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ken R said:

Daytime temperatures yesterday were never above 5 degrees. Batteries certainly don't like the cold!

You will notice more loss once temperatures go negative - capacity holds up quite well when temperatures are positive Celsius. Much of your range loss would be heating the cabin.

image.thumb.png.4b331d953bc1a79c2e148bdf093dbe6d.png

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-502-discharging-at-high-and-low-temperatures

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/25/2023 at 9:29 AM, Ken R said:

Consistent result from previous with the overnight charge at 51.2/45.6. Battery was completed depleted again and temperatures were below zero. Actual from yesterday's charge was a disappointing 31.9 miles on a regular journey that gave 48 - 50 in the summer months. Daytime temperatures yesterday were never above 5 degrees. Batteries certainly don't like the cold!

32 miles for me from the last full charge. If this remains the norm over a cold winter I think it'll be cheaper to not bother charging and use HV mode\petrol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BonzoSPB said:

32 miles for me from the last full charge. If this remains the norm over a cold winter I think it'll be cheaper to not bother charging and use HV mode\petrol.

I’m not so sure, but you may be right. I’ll see how it goes. 

46 minutes ago, BonzoSPB said:

32 miles for a max of 14Kwh (full charge) = 2.3 m/Kwh. Assume you pay standard rate of about 26p/Kwh = 11.3p/mile

Assume 45 MPG (obviously varies on mix of driving) Cost of gallon = £1.50x4.5 (litres) = £6.75/gallon Cost per mile =6.75/45 which = 15p/mile

So with an all year average of for, arguaments sake, 3 m/Kwh (will probably be higher than this) cost per mile would be 8.7p/mile. Petrol would need to be 87p/Litre at current prices to match elecricity. Even with the increase in electric prices in January (5%) we are a long way from petrol being the fuel of choice for our PHEV's.

Hope I have those figures right!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

32 miles for a max of 14Kwh (full charge) = 2.3 m/Kwh. Assume you pay standard rate of about 26p/Kwh = 11.3p/mile

Assume 45 MPG (obviously varies on mix of driving) Cost of gallon = £1.50x4.5 (litres) = £6.75/gallon Cost per mile =6.75/45 which = 15p/mile

So with an all year average of for, arguaments sake, 3 m/Kwh (will probably be higher than this) cost per mile would be 8.7p/mile. Petrol would need to be 87p/Litre at current prices to match elecricity. Even with the increase in electric prices in January (5%) we are a long way from petrol being the fuel of choice for our PHEV's.

Thanks for beating me to it. This makes sense. Keep charging!!

7 hours ago, Harry Junior said:

Thanks for beating me to it. This makes sense. Keep charging!!

Yes and it's even better with some of the off-peak tariffs where the Kwh rate is averaging 9p.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Hayzee said:

Is 14KwH considered the norm for a full charge? I use the full 18.1 KwH in my calculations just to be sure.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BonzoSPB said:

Is 14KwH considered the norm for a full charge? I use the full 18.1 KwH in my calculations just to be sure.

4kwh is reserved for hybrid operation and is not accessible for EV operation so when you have 0 EV miles you will see the traction Battery still has 30% charge. This 4kwh is continually maintained during HV operation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Latest overnight charge and the prediction down again to 51.2/43.5. Sub zero temperatures overnight. Actual against predicted yesterday was a new low of 28 against the predicted 45.6. This was particularly disappointing given journeys didn't involve high speed motorway elements, however temperatures hovered around zero for much of the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My ranges are showing 45/50 on a full charge but I am currently showing 1.8m/kWh so range should be showing closer to 25 miles 

I do short infrequent trips so car is spending a lot of energy heating up the cabin so I don’t expect best efficiency but this is certainly worse than last year

i just wish the predicted miles was more honest as I would need to be doing 3.2m/kWh to get the 45m predicted range and that isn’t going to happen

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SA1 said:

My ranges are showing 45/50 on a full charge but I am currently showing 1.8m/kWh so range should be showing closer to 25 miles 

I do short infrequent trips so car is spending a lot of energy heating up the cabin so I don’t expect best efficiency but this is certainly worse than last year

i just wish the predicted miles was more honest as I would need to be doing 3.2m/kWh to get the 45m predicted range and that isn’t going to happen

I agree. I have just completed a series of inner city journeys today and the traction  Battery was depleted by 25 miles which is a new low in 20 months of ownership.  Temperature plays a huge factor as its hovered around zero for most of the day and therefore internal heating/seats/steering wheel all on. Thankfully I pay a low Kwh rate off peak so its still cheaper to run on electric rather than petrol. Car currently indicates 2.6 miles / Kwh - I wish!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2023 at 10:27 AM, Hayzee said:

Thanks for that Colin...and as said by others, better to keep charging and use the benefits that we have paid for in purchasing a Hybrid even if only 25/ 30 miles.

Still a bit confused in reading the posts  [and my own app] showing predictions after full charge and the actual milage during this cold spell. 

I fully understand why we are all getting a reduced milage due to heating etc , so why the somewhat large discrepancy in the predictions v milage actual.

I would have thought that if the software was accurate it would readjust the prediction figures accordingly based on journeys made over a certain period.

So people who have  heating seats, steering wheel, windscreen etc on will have a smaller prediction than others who are more frugal 🥶

Is it therefore worth looking at the prediction figures at this time. Just hope that as long as the occupants  are at least reasonably comfortable that a decent milage is obtained from the charge.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2023 at 5:12 PM, Harrier Man said:

With acknowledgement to Dave (dts439) and all the excellent contributions to the "NX 450h+ electric and petrol range" thread, I thought I would start this new one just on the predicted EV range. Aim is to collect a bunch of stats to see how range varies with the seasons and how individual cars differ.

If you would like to contribute, please include the predicted EV range without Air/Con and the predicted range with Air/Con. For consistency, please ensure the results are for a car that is 100% charged and the charging is complete.

Around November, my range (without A/C) was over 47 miles but dropped in December. There appears to be a small recovery lately. My most recent 4 charges have returned the following:

45.6/41.0 - 46.2/42.5 - 46.3/42.6 - 46.5/43.7 (most recent)

I'll plot the returns and periodically publish a summary. Thanks for your help.

The above was the first ever post on this thread in January 2023.

I thought it would be interesting to see how us 'old timers' in terms of 450h+ ownership fair this next January.

There's also some good records on the "NX 450h+ electric and petrol range" thread around page 4 which covers a similar period to now in 2022.

Looking at some of the comments on both threads, it seems that the 'actual' range compared to the predicted is more accurate in the summer months. I guess the software can't predict how cold we are willing to get as individuals when driving in this weather to eke out the maximum range 😁

Last night's charge has resulted in 51.3/44.1 guesstimate.

• Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links