Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Infotainment/screen upgrade

Ive seen a lot about the upgrade of the screen in these cars, it looks like a no-brainer to do it as the screen size together with the actual interface is so bad. Theres a lot of units to choose from, Im not convinced that the AliExpress one is of good quality?!. Is there a package that most people would recommend, any warnings, issues with upgrading? 

All of the android units are Chinese made, so they are all about the same quality, but not all the same spec. The choice you have is to buy exactly same unit from AliExpress for £300 or exactly the same unit form UK reseller for £600. As far as choosing one - it is minefield as you need to find one with the right specs and you need to understand what the specs mean. For example you need to know how much ram, storage and cores is considered a "good spec", what android version is good or bad, or whenever play-store works (this is quite key)... or what "8-Core MTK, MSM662 or MT8183" means and whenever it is good or bad. 

In short warning one is that you need to do research of what is available and what you buying, you can get good spec. unit from china for £300, or you can get poor spec. unit after paying £900 in UK.

Second warning - spec. =/= quality.... the quality is all Shinese quality so it is gamble. You can get unit and it will work 5 years well, or it may fail after 18 months and there isn't much recourse because such thing as "warranty" doesn't really exist. Maybe 12 month if you buying in UK and if you lucky, but if you buying from China then 90 days is all you get. That is enough to make sure that unit you receive works out of the box (and that is usually the most important thing), but don't expect much of support say 3 years after that (that said Lexus Relax does not cover Lexus sat-nav either and they do go bad as well).

In conclusion... do think it is no brainer - functionally these chinese systems are like 10 times better than Lexus system and if you get one with decent spec for £300... even if it dies after 3 years it is still well worth it. The only thing I would do is that I would definitely keep original just in case, but apart of that they are win/win... even if they fail they still worth it. 

https://www.iceboxauto.com/lexus-rc-series-2015-19-wireless-apple-carplay-wired-android-auto-siri-rear-camera

This is the only UK one that looks ok that ive seen so far & its only £300, but I wondered if there was a place that had the best option which was known on this forum. 

14 minutes ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

https://www.iceboxauto.com/lexus-rc-series-2015-19-wireless-apple-carplay-wired-android-auto-siri-rear-camera

This is the only UK one that looks ok that ive seen so far & its only £300, but I wondered if there was a place that had the best option which was known on this forum. 

Sadly I don't know the answer to that and I doubt anyone have had more than one installed to be able compare what is good and what is bad. 

The issue I have with the link you provided is that they have NO SPEC AT ALL... what you getting is absolute mystery. I guess you can contact and ask for specification. Second issue I have is that they list everything for every Lexus, which is simply cannot be the case - each Lexus model has very specific system, with very specific harness only for that model, so when they say "B01A NX - RX - CT - LC - GS - LS - ES - IS - UX - LX - RC Series 2014-19 For are car with the command paddle between the seats"... That is absolute BS, because RX, LC, LS, ES, UX, LX ... never had "paddle" Only the RC, IS and NX had it, CT had it as well but that is completely different system from IS (.. and it is not even paddle it is more like "rotary dial")... What I am saying - there is no way that some magical "B01A" model can fit 9 different Lexus models, just not how it works. There are more differences between say LC and RC than there are between BMW and Hyundai. Only for RC alone you will have at least 3 different units - one for standard system, one for premium, one for ML, and then probably different units for FL.

In short - it seems like their page is generic, have no specs and you probably only going to find out what spec. they offer and how much it actually costs after contacting them. I suspect £304 will the the cheapest unit for maybe CT, and unit they will have for RC will be closer to £500-600 (that is about the price in UK). That is not to say their units are junk... only that their description is generic and junk... 

None that I would personally consider "good", but it seems that for £300 one should aim as close as possible for 8-Core CPU, 8GB RAM, 128GB ROM and Android 12. I guess if it is 4-6GB RAM, 64GB ROM and Android 11... that is still passable. But anything below Android 11 I would avoid. Just for reference - Android 13 is current version, Android 10 is oldest supported, but support for Android 10 will be axed later this year when Android 14 launches. Point is - you don't want to get Android system which is out of support, because that means you will have compatibility issues with the apps on PlayStore and even PlayStore itself may not work.

Something like this is what I would get myself: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005058569702 (that is just example of specs - not saying get this particular one).

On 2/4/2023 at 7:16 PM, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

The one you linked doesnt support the trackpad. The one I linked, you have to choose the trackpad option which is £528. 

I’ve got an Icebox unit and it’s good.  They’re really good on the phone, just ring them.  I fitted mine myself at home in a few hours.  Car is a 2018 with larger screen.

Gives me everything you expect from the advert.  Certainly wouldn’t suggest anything else based upon my experience.

1 hour ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

But they gave the old android version & not the latest? 

It could be just generic description. It does say Android 10, which is basically what goes out of support later this year, but in the end of the day they still getting systems from same chinese suppliers. If chinese switched to Android 12, then I assume icebox would get it to, perhaps just didn't update the description.

7 hours ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

They are Android 10. If the aliexpress ones are actually quality enough to replace OEM in a Lexus id get one but I'm not convinced.

Honestly ANYTHING is better than Lexus OEM, so I think starting from there you can start building up expectations... I am not saying android 10 is good choice considering it is out of support by the end of this year... but it is still light years ahead of Lexus system. So if you can get Android 12, that is certainly worth the effort, but even out of support Android 10 will circle around Lexus system at every step without problem. 

As far as I know - no. They are unlicensed android versions, so you won't get updates via normal route, you may be able to do it manually if you know what you are doing and who ever makes them in chinese labour camp decides to provide new android version... but you need to be advanced user and probably understand some of the chinese language to find what you need and what will work for you. Just loading new android rom on these would most likely brick them or would make them basically into android tablet without any car functionality working.

So I would say they have shelf-life of 3-6 years if you get the latest android version today. Basically android 12 will be dropped from support in September 2025 and as far as android goes usually versions still work reasonably well for 3 years after they go out of support (there are no hard cut-off like iOS, but after 3 years without support some apps stops working or are unstable). So if you go with Android 12, then expect it to be fine until like 2028-2029, but if you get Android 10... then I think it will become limited in functionality by 2026.

That said this only applies to third party apps... like if you want Waze or Torque etc. the custom built which supports Lexus own functions should not be impacted as it is based on whatever 1988 design Lexus used when developing their system and that doesn't change over the years. Built in things like google maps or music player should continue working as well. I guess compatibility and stability of apple car play and android auto may start suffer once out of support, especially if you keep updating your phone. So for example if you pair android 12 smartphone with your android 10 system, that will likely continue working fine for 10 years, but if you get whatever android 16 phone in 2026, then this may no longer connect. 

• 8 months later...

I just received one of these units from AliExpress in October 2023, Version Android 13, 8GB ram, 64GB rom, with wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple  carplay for £354 (My phone is an S22 Ultra) 

All works great once installed, Ny 2013 3IS V6 F-Sport actually needs some very slight trimming of the plastic mounts behind the screen as the new widescreen unit is around 2mm or so wider at the back than my stock unit.

Still testing everything out and will update once all completed.

20231030_142822.jpg

20231030_143020.jpg

20231030_132310.jpg

20231030_171631.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/31/2023 at 8:31 AM, LEXUS-4-LIFE said:

I just received one of these units from AliExpress in October 2023, Version Android 13, 8GB ram, 64GB rom, with wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple  carplay for £354 (My phone is an S22 Ultra) 

All works great once installed, Ny 2013 3IS V6 F-Sport actually needs some very slight trimming of the plastic mounts behind the screen as the new widescreen unit is around 2mm or so wider at the back than my stock unit.

Still testing everything out and will update once all completed.

20231030_142822.jpg

20231030_143020.jpg

20231030_132310.jpg

20231030_171631.jpg

Hi. I bought one of these as well. Managed to install it but it seems a bit taller than the factory one. I cant seem to push it in far enough for the yellow plastic clips to click into place it keeps fouling on the top and no matter what i do some of it sticks out. 20231130_151456.thumb.jpg.7b5e0545eb0bf3c0e165e887caa74335.jpg Can you please let me know what did you trim exactly. Im quite disappointed with the fit. 

Also i cant seem to get this trim panel from the front of the screen to fit. The seller provided a replacement panel but its the same size as the factory one. 20231130_173602.thumb.jpg.c89a260cfe97a8c2c23a04bcf96c8c1e.jpg

20231130_151438.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links