Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help buying a soarer

Fennexx

Hi guys!

I got an opportunity to get a soarer but need help from people who know better.

I’ve tracked down a 1JZ twin turbo automatic import soarer, in a backyard, minimal rust, supra brakes and wheels and steering wheel on tein coils but been sitting for a year and turbos are blown,  

with it comes a lot of spare parts like auto gearbox, 2 spare replacement twin turbos, and a lot of trim parts or speed delimiters and gadgets.

now I really want to get it and think it’s cool, but wasn’t sure of what to pay, I’m just working on these projects with my dad and young so I can get high ip in price but the seller was looking at around 4k which I wasn’t thinking of and now hesitating, is it worth it? Or what should I say, I want to build it as a nice street car, maybe in black with a subtle body kit, and old BBS style alloys, and still keeps its value, but I don’t know if 4k is something I can afford and actually make it all worth while.

what do yous think?

Can attach a full list of parts included 

Any more details, pics, which type is it, number plate? Soarers are certainly cool particularly the higher spec TT and single turbo models but you need to be sure that this is essentially a good car or it could quickly turn into a money pit. It doesn't take very long to fit the turbos so why hasn't the present owner done it? 

If it hasn't been refreshed, all of the suspension will need to be looked at. Read through the old Soarer threads on here. If you can't find what you need here, look on Soarer Central or LOC in the US or clublexus for advice and potential sources for parts. For a while, Soarers were cheap and many fell into the hands of young inexperienced guys who wanted to race or drift them but they soon found out they are expensive cars to run and maintain. Many potentially lovely cars were neglected and destroyed. 

There is still a small owners club in the UK so it would be worth making contact with them. They may know the car and some of its history. We met with some of them at the Coventry SC430 meet last Summer. 

IMG_4427.thumb.jpg.df44a77d3356e1ca1b217cb6eb936be6.jpg

And if you're looking for subtle bodykit ideas, this was my well preserved GTT many years ago. 

post-21030-0-55324200-1450315503_thumb.j

@Neil E hi mate, cheers for the help.

The reg is J67 AVO

after the turbo blew he just left it in his yard for a year, didn’t have time or motivation to do anything, I first saw him in the summer, and since then he started the car, but suspects fuel pump relay is gone.

my mate suggested I stick a big single turbo in it and I like the idea, I’ve attached some pics of what I’d like it to look like.

AE103321-B91C-4EF4-B3A2-7DFEDE0DD959.jpeg

3BD422E7-7E0B-4487-BACD-6A79ED3BA38C.jpeg

E5BA5D33-5F29-45DA-86CC-584994E9E631.png

478E2FDF-C231-410E-9A2D-198602093E20.jpeg

I'd say £4000 for a non-runner is ridiculous.

After the IS, RX, GS and LS I came close to buying a Soarer a couple of times but the lack of parts for the mundane stuff (especially electrics) made me give up.

Hi Alex and welcome to the LOC.

Have you checked the MOT history for this car?

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/results?registration=J67avo

It has been stood for a least 2 years, done 195K miles and has a comprehensive list of advisories including a lot of “corrosion” issues.

It looks like a major project with worn door hinges ( a common fault due to the weight of the doors), suspension issues, fuel lIne issues and then the paint will need some serious work after being stood never mind the interior.

For a non running MOT fail candidate that is a lot of money and I’m sure there are better examples out there for less money.

My personal advice......walk away from this potential money pit.

• Like 1

Just looked at “Cars from Japan” website and what were £4K cars just a few years ago are now £25K now.

Problem is there are fewer good ones about so premium prices, the bubble will burst eventually.

https://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-toyota-soarer-1994-for-sale-6301b73ced90ed5551ef6d86

enthusiasm of youth abounds  BUT  who's actually holding the chequebook  ( or is that too old fashioned .  wot on earth's a chequebook he might ask  🤩  )

clearly going to cost a small fortune but again depends who's the benefactor with shed loads of £££££ 

Remembering someone recently paid £18750 for an old 1997 Ls400 at an auction . ( in fine fettle tho )

Dreams of youth shouldn't be dashed ....  get your dad or someone to underwrite the inevitable overspend on this project and all could be well, otherwise you will end-up with an expensive immovable and undriveable heap of bits ......  oh, that's what you're buying now !  😃

Good luck and ....  please let us know your decision

Malc

I think I remember the car from Soarer World. If it's the same one, it was resprayed at the SSS, the burnt orange colour is quite distinctive. 

Some of the early miles registered may be kms but it's been in the UK for a while so may have been converted properly. I think the seller overvalues it at £4k, I doubt it's worth £2k.  

Looking at the advisories, assuming the engine is good, I would say this car is saveable but you would need skills, good contacts, deep pockets and plenty of time or helpful resource to succeed with it. Unless your mate is a renowned expert Supra tuner, my advice would be to forget going big single turbo. I've seen too many failed attempts and the 1JZ will only take a certain amount on stock internals. A 1991 properly sorted standard 2.5TT Soarer does 5.5s to 60 and 170 mph delimited, in greater comfort than most modern cars. How much better do you want it to be? (Ignore that - I always wanted to do a V8 TT, I dare say a 2UR-FSE Soarer is possible too) 

The fuel issue is often the fuel ecu in the rear nearside quarter panel - easy fix when you find a good one but the 9V-12V wire bypass will keep it going for hundreds of miles. I think I may still have some spare fake/replica staggered BBS 19s sitting around needing a refurb....yes here they are being abused in the Highlands.

85020.thumb.jpg.e42c1017904d7f21e4d81fa970a9ef4e.jpg

This was my V8 limited.

62160.thumb.jpg.542e2f6e947a42af7a0c8e3d95bcede7.jpg

Okay so likely budget? 

Wheels and tyres £2k, paint and body-kit £3k, suspension and steering £4k, Engine and cooling £2k, brakes, interior and other stuff?

That's quite a project. You could buy my ugly UZZ40 Soarer for much less than that. As Malc and Steve say there are probably a few better deals to be had with a full search. I think I would try the Soarer FB group, they may know of a decent one that someone is thinking of selling. You might find one that's been looked after or mostly restored that you can add the kit to and enjoy much sooner.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who replied!

to answer a few questions.

He said the car does run, he started in sometime December to see, just that fuel issue.

When I had a look myself at the sills they looked absolutely mint, only rust I saw was bubbling on the arches, it was lowered on some thicc teins (which looked very rusty by now) so I couldn’t really see further under.

I seen 1JZs sell for about 3k for just the engine,  what’s the deal with that and does it affect value of this?

I originally thought I could sort out the fuel issue, give it a service which should cost more than like £150 for oils and filters, fit the spare turbos on with probably new gaskets so £50 and go from there.

my mate does fabrication, welding, painting.

I’ll add the long list of parts included and problems with the car to this reply since I think that would be useful.

@Neil E @steve2006 @Malc1

On the car:
GReddy Emanage Ultimate.
HKS 3" decat pipe, with wideband sensor tap.
Supra brakes all round.
Torsion diff.
Supra stock 17" wheels.
Tein HA very firm / drift suspension with adjustable height (if can unseize!) and damping.
Supra front seats (driver electric, passenger manual adjust).
Supra steering wheel.
Small digital display meter with settable alarms for over/under, engine oil temp & pressure, transmission oil temp, boost.
HID bulbs in main and dip, LED sides.
TRD horns.
Airbox opened up, sealed off from engine, K&N panel filter fitted.
Nakamichi head unit (US), Nakamichi Amp (US), Pioneer subwoofer, Boston Acoustics speakers x4, working CD changer (2x caddies).

Off the car, included:
Decent looking secondhand ceramic turbos (pair).
Refurbished (but brutally shipped) steel wheel turbos (pair).
Full set of new gaskets needed when replacing turbos.
Lew's downpipe (stock turbos to decat pipe, 3" output).
Good auto gearbox.
2x sets Supra stock 17" wheels, one set silver, one set black, shabby but true.
Injectors x6 (purple top, 440cc, stock JDM Supra, high reistance, drop-in replace the stock 1JZ 380cc).
Brake cylinder kit 04479-14140.
Armrest x2 (over centre console storage bin, one normal, one hacked to be low-profile).
HKS SLD (Speed Limit Defencer).
Front brake disks (pair).
Front Supra brakes (pair), need refurb.
?? Rear Supra brakes (pair), need refurb.
Intercooler, aftermarket fits in stock (side) position.
Intercooler, front mount, with water cooling bits, all air pipework and air filter.
Transmission oil cooler and filter.
Airbox.
Various 3" exhaust gaskets.
Stock suspension.
Nakamichi head unit (US).
Pioneer head unit (US).
Pioneer head unit (JP).
Various bits of interior trim.

new engine and gearbox mounts

pair of front brake dust guards

dozen floor mats

Off the car, not included:
Suprastick (manualise the auto), approx £250.
TRD diff, approx £1000.

Problems:

- Turbos need replacing.
- Driver's door lock is broken, have used remote fob as a workaround.
- Fuel pump relay is dead, have gone through multiple secondhand units but all have died. Currently there is a link shorting it to 'on' but this absolutely ought to be fixed.
- I think the Idle up valve needs cleaning or replacing; car had slightly low idle revs even before being parked up.
- Driver's door hinge sags a bit as it's worn.
- Aircon doesn't work, compressor leaks.

Oh yeah, forgot the spare rhs door hinge I got from the US on the parts list (seems very good, little wear being passenger side there!). And another Supra steering wheel - I was going to get it re-covered in leather. And an AC compressor or two plus new dryer.

Good Luck with this  .  you're a little smitten BUT again, who's picking up the tab for those excess costs that you're going to incur AND  a possible killer Q .......

What's the likely Insurance going to cost you ?

Malc

@Malc1

haven’t though of insurance to be honest, haven’t been introduced to it, I cant drive yet, I just flip cars with my dad and work on projects, I go out drifting on track.

my dad pays for a lot of it and we try make profit, but this car is like an investment also I really wanted to have a cool Japanese car with a 1j, you know, how you always see on the internet, I’m just working with a mk1 mx5 right now, which is still cool!

but we live and learn 

To be fair prices over the last through years have gone through the roof, a fresh Jap import will now cost around £25-30K including shipping and taxes so £4K for a project including most of the spares needed on reflection is not too bad ( still haggle though).

It doesn’t seem that long ago a mate offered me his roadworthy V8 Soarer for £1500!

@steve2006

i thought about it and reached a conclusion that the v8 Soarer’s are the cheapest/least desired, the 1JZ autos are mid range and the 1JZ manuals are the more expensive/sought after?

also I was thinking of manual swapping it if I get this soarer, I think it was the R154 gearbox you get? But that was about 2-3k from Japan and probably needs more parts, my mate suggested getting an adapter plate and putting another good box in like one from a Nissan 350z

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links