Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel scratch repairs . have we gone stark raving nuts !!

Everyone  .  good afternoon

Is it just me or do others think the clear obsession with scratches on our beloved wheels has turned into summat quite  " MAD "  

members are spending a fortune on remedying the tiniest scratches on  wheel finishes, often costing hundreds of ££££  .....  it's a car with wheels on a road with obstacles and traffic etc  🤑

Are we / them, expecting something miraculous effect to be there to protect the car's wheels from knocks and dings and dents and scratches ......  for Heaven's Sake .....  they're only goddam WHEELS that make the car go around 

Malc

• Like 5

Well I recall a colleague who got a E-type in 1983 and he used to treat it like a car, where as he said some owners would (after each drive) clean it inside, outside, underside right down to the last wheel nut.

So MAD has been going on for a while.

I would expect the E-type owner to have a little less to worry about on the wheel nut front as if they were chromed a darned sight harder to scratch.

• Like 1

Many, many years ago I used to valet cars on a used car sales site. Many had the initials FW chalked on the screen, meaning 'full works'.

Part exchange used to have WWW chalked on, meaning Wash, Windows and Wheels only. Just doing these 3 things improved a sh*ter no end!

And so to Lexus owners. A scuffed alloy looks absolutely awful, and to my mind shows they don't care for their vehicle. I'm sure to most Lexus owners, a car is their pride and joy, so will always strive to keep their vehicle in the best possible condition, hence the OCD!

• Like 1

My LS 400 is really spoiled by its wheels. A member on here sprayed his own wheels for less than £70 (IIRC). As soon as the warmer weather comes, I will do the same. I thought about a diamond cut but was advised against it. Powder coat is cheaper but imagine accidental scuffing!

I think I will be happy with a diy job. I do appreciate Paul's view. I also understand what Malc says. It is down to the individual, regarding what they are happy with. If my DIY turns out to be a bodge I will probably go down the powder coat route. Horses for courses. I do believe that the colour and finish of wheels are very important to the look of a car. I do NOT like black wheels. Just my opinion.

I managed to own my last car for 4 years without kerbing the wheels or damaging them, so going pay to remove all the kerb rash & the flaked off paint on some of the spokes on the RCF Ive just bought knowing that I will be careful to avoid kerbing the wheels & i will clean the wheels properly. You have to pay £££ to repair diamond cut wheels.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

Everyone  .  good afternoon

Is it just me or do others think the clear obsession with scratches on our beloved wheels has turned into summat quite  " MAD "  

members are spending a fortune on remedying the tiniest scratches on  wheel finishes, often costing hundreds of ££££  .....  it's a car with wheels on a road with obstacles and traffic etc  🤑

Are we / them, expecting something miraculous effect to be there to protect the car's wheels from knocks and dings and dents and scratches ......  for Heaven's Sake .....  they're only goddam WHEELS that make the car go around 

Malc

Thanks for the reminder Malc, I noticed a flaw yesterday morning. I need to re-polish and ceramic coat one of the wheel weights on the GS460.🙃 

Yes it's quite mad. detailing has become an obsession. I admire all of the owners and professionals who do it but if you use a car for its intended purpose, going to such extremes on a frequent regular regime is just silly. I'm convinced that some owners enjoy looking at a pristine car, listening to a loud exhaust or talking/typing about the car more than they actually appreciate driving it. There are plenty of owners of high performance cars with very low mileages in near pristine condition to prove the point.🙂

next level wheel and car care

• Like 2

I'm with Malc. I simply cannot be bothered to keep her immaculate.
If that is your thing, then good for you but I'd far rather be tinkering with or riding on my motorcycles.

Mine currently has a discoloured patch on the bonnet (goes away with blue T-cut and a machine mop, but comes back a month or 2 later) and has rust along the trim line on the passenger door.
It has a few little scratches and scrapes here and there including scrapes on 2 of the wheels.
I bought it to use as a daily driver, so it is going to get dinged by supermarket trolleys, other peoples doors, stones and grit thrown up from the vehicle in front, etc. and the wheels will contact the occasional kerb or other obstacle.

The problem with owning a garage queen is that you are terrified of taking it out of the garage and at that point it's no longer car, just a piece of garage art.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

My LS 400 is really spoiled by its wheels. A member on here sprayed his own wheels for less than £70 (IIRC). As soon as the warmer weather comes, I will do the same. I thought about a diamond cut but was advised against it. Powder coat is cheaper

I had mine powder coated refurbished at a place in Sittingbourne for £250 if you're close by and want to spend that sort of £££  .  probably last 15 years i was told if i don't road rage them

Malc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Malc1 said:

I had mine powder coated refurbished at a place in Sittingbourne for £250 if you're close by and want to spend that sort of £££  .  probably last 15 years i was told if i don't road rage them

Malc

Out of interest Malc - can you post a photo of a wheel please?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links