Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

19” Tyre choices

I’ve spent a fair amount of time recently looking at the tyres available in the staggered 19” sizes and the choice seems quite limited. Where rears are available, they don't do the front size and vice versa.

I’ve looked at the latest Premium tyres; Michelin PS5s, Conti SC7s or Goodyear F1 Assym 6s but I can’t find anywhere that does full sets of any of them in the RCs sizes.

Having said that, I’m not sure that I’d exploit the full potential of Ultra High Performance summer tyres so maybe something a bit more GT-focused would be better.

My priorities are wet-weather braking and handling and comfort over out and out dry grip.

I suppose i could change the rear tyres to a different size. Maybe 255/35 or even 245/40.

What’s everyone using? The current Bridgestones are okay but i’m open to suggestions if there’s anything that meets my criteria better.

I've been having the problem with my GS 300h, not sure I want to go premium either, but I, like yourself, am having trouble finding a single tyre brand to cover the staggered set up in the mid range category, Hankook seem to have the sizes but are a Y & W rating front/rear.

• Like 1

Your statements seems very sensible. RC-F sure - UUHP probably makes sense, but having them on RC300h really has only negatives. On my RC200t I had mixture of Dunlops and Bridgestone's. Fronts were Dunlop RT2s, great tyres (I had them before on IS250 as well) and they are one of my favourite, but sadly they are becoming obsolete now and not available for the rears. Then I had separate set of wheels and they came with nearly new Bridgestone Potenza RE050a which were massively worse, louder, worse on fuel and less comfortable. Sure they were grippy tyres, something that I would have appreciated in 500hp car, but in RC200t I really didn't.

I consider Goodyear Assy 6 as direct upgrade to Dunlop RT2 (which was basically rebranded Assy 3) and they should be decently comfortable and compliant, but they not available in 265/35. Same story for Conti Premium Contact 6 (not Sport Contact 7), it is more of touring tyre, but again not available in 265s... The only tyre which I know roughly and which is semi-decent and even decently priced would be Uniroyal Rainsport 5 (it is Michelin sister company), they not going to be as comfortable as Primacy 4, or as sporty as PS5, but they should be nicely in between and they are available in both sizes.

Other option - playing around with slightly different sizes, I know this is not for everyone, but for example 255/40/19 has way wider choice of tyres and for way better prices... and I am struggling to see how RC300h justifies having 265 wide tyre in the rear, besides 255 on 40 profile should be more comfortable and more fuel efficient. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Other option - playing around with slightly different sizes, I know this is not for everyone, but for example 255/40/19 has way wider choice of tyres and for way better prices...

After spending some time with a wheel size calculator, it seems that 255/35 R19 would be a good alternative for the rears. It seems a better size for the 9” rim, it’s 1.06% difference in speedo rating (and would over-read which is safer from a speed camera perspective).

The GY Assym 6s are available in that size and in the front size. 
Changing to 255s would also open up a range of all-season tyres such as the Goodyear Vector4.

I guess the only question would be whether a different tyre size would have an impact on the insurance and on the warranty. That said, if the tyres are a road-legal fit for the car and they match the speed rating, I don’t see that they could be a problem, especially if one advises the insurer. 

I guess my question is now - has anyone else changed tyre sizes to take advantage of the wider choice of rubber?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

I guess the only question would be whether a different tyre size would have an impact on the insurance and on the warranty. That said, if the tyres are a road-legal fit for the car and they match the speed rating, I don’t see that they could be a problem, especially if one advises the insurer. 

This was debated fiercely many times and there are 2 camps. One say this is "modification" and thus has to be reported and has impact etc. and the Other says this is round pieces of rubber, they are road legal all the way to 1.6mm and that is all it matters. 

My perspective is somewhere in between - tyres are the only thing between you and the road so I always only get premium tyres (and by the way they are worth the money, because they last longer and per mile are cheaper) and it seems we are on the same page as far as that is concerned. I personally don't believe it impact warranty unless explicitly stated, nor insurance unless explicitly stated... and as far as I know neither has clause saying slightly different tyre size is explicitly prohibited. Yes insurance expects you to report "modifications", but then it is left vague enough for you to pretty much interpret what "modification" is. I do not consider going from 265/35 to 255/35 or 255/40 a modification. Going to 285/60 off-road tyre on the rear... yeah that would be modification. Or fitting like ultra-stretched tyre like 225 on 9" for "style" and then run it on 45 degree camber (no idea why those cars are allowed on the road). And from perspective of "what is better" - 265/35 Acellera Ultra-shaitegrip 10000 or 255/35 Goodyear Assy 6... I think it is obvious which one is safer and has more grip. So I personally would not declare it anywhere. I had done that on IS250 without issues in the past 255>245 and 225>235.

Now I guess what I am saying - there is no definitive answer and you will have to weight the risk/benefit yourself, at the same time 265>255 difference is small enough not to matter in my opinion. That said I would actually go for 265/40 and 2.7% under-read. In my experience all Lexus already overreads by 5-10% (they have to by the law), so bringing it little bit closer to reality 4is always my goal. Is it "safer" to have over-read... in my opinion - yes and no. Every time I have over-read I am abusing it because "34 is just about 30"... and then before you know it you already doing 40... which is 36... Whereas if speedo would show actual speed I think it is actually easier to stick to it, because if you going over it is over and there is no hidden margins to take into account. I guess in grand scheme of things depends on person - if you actually stick to indicated speed all the time, then yes indeed you will never going to be speeding, but then it may annoy other people when somebody in front is consistently driving at 26... but as I said this seems like personal preference thing 🙂 

• Like 1

Here there is one thing that matter. What is written in the papers from Lexus.

The CT that cannot drive very fast is told to have rating “W” in car papers and anything less than that will not pass control here. “W” means tyres for cars able to drive 270km/h. Come with “V” rated tyres made for cars driving up to 240km/h and your will not be allowed to drive the car.

Stupid: Absolutely.

Nothing you can do. Lexus have stated “W” as rating for the car and anything less is not allowed. Who is stupid? Not the guy giving the approval stamp, he is following the rules, so it must be Lexus that is completely out of this world crazy. The CT will only be able to reach 270km/h if falling out of a plane or something similar.

I can get “V” rated tyres 10€ cheaper each and with 69db noise but have to use “Y” rated (higher than “W”) with 70db noise. No problem. Both have fuel efficiency class “B” and braking in wet class “A”.

But Lexus surely is not interested in doing what is best for owners. 40€ is also money.

737909359_Speedrating.thumb.png.bf76310486fa75ddbe7013283e34f8ba.png

In UK they don't check that... It is just so surprised that somebody decided to check whenever tyres can do 240, 270, 300 km/h ... but they still allow to use absolute rubbish, fake and unsafe chinese tyres which are dangerous at any speed above walking pace?! How does that make sense?! I don't know...

• Like 1

Isn’t the RC limited to 118mph?

The 300h anyway  

I’m sure I read that somewhere.

In which case, T-rated tyres or better should be all that’s needed?

I know that’s not what Lexus specify, but it’s all that the car needs of it can only do 118mph

• 9 months later...
On 2/24/2023 at 7:59 AM, Skinnyman said:

After spending some time with a wheel size calculator, it seems that 255/35 R19 would be a good alternative for the rears. It seems a better size for the 9” rim, it’s 1.06% difference in speedo rating (and would over-read which is safer from a speed camera perspective).

The GY Assym 6s are available in that size and in the front size. 
Changing to 255s would also open up a range of all-season tyres such as the Goodyear Vector4.

I guess my question is now - has anyone else changed tyre sizes to take advantage of the wider choice of rubber?

Hello @Skinnyman, I have just seen this old post and just been through months of thinkng about what to do as need all season tyres ideally Vector 4 Seasons.  How did you get on in the end?  Did you go 255/35/R19 or other?  What tyres did you opt for? Thanks, Charlie

30 minutes ago, Juicedrinker said:

Hello @Skinnyman, I have just seen this old post and just been through months of thinkng about what to do as need all season tyres ideally Vector 4 Seasons.  How did you get on in the end?  Did you go 255/35/R19 or other?  What tyres did you opt for? Thanks, Charlie

In the end I went for Uniroyal Rainsport 5 in the standard sizes. So far I’ve been delighted with them. They’re not an all-season tyre but they were perfectly good yesterday in the snow and slush we had. I might be concerned trying to get through a 2-foot snowdrift with them and I don’t know how they’ll perform in very icy conditions but so far they’ve been excellent. Wet weather grip is stunning and ride comfort superb. 

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

In the end I went for Uniroyal Rainsport 5 in the standard sizes. So far I’ve been delighted with them. They’re not an all-season tyre but they were perfectly good yesterday in the snow and slush we had. I might be concerned trying to get through a 2-foot snowdrift with them and I don’t know how they’ll perform in very icy conditions but so far they’ve been excellent. Wet weather grip is stunning and ride comfort superb. 

Hope that helps!

@Skinnymangood choice, any tyre that works better in rain is a win with the UK's damp, drizzly, downpour type of weather that seems to increase every year.  Unfortunately due to the country roads I have to drive on very frequently and also altitude of some places / hills I wont get away with summer tyres.   Out of interest do you know what load rating your rear tyres have?  I am trying to establish form Lexus what it should be as most tyre companies are saying 96/98 but a Lexus dealer put 94's on mine!

6 minutes ago, Juicedrinker said:

@Skinnymangood choice, any tyre that works better in rain is a win with the UK's damp, drizzly, downpour type of weather that seems to increase every year.  Unfortunately due to the country roads I have to drive on very frequently and also altitude of some places / hills I wont get away with summer tyres.   Out of interest do you know what load rating your rear tyres have?  I am trying to establish form Lexus what it should be as most tyre companies are saying 96/98 but a Lexus dealer put 94's on mine!

I can’t remember exactly what load rating the Unis are - I’ll check later when I go out - but I’m pretty sure they were at least as good as the ratings specified by Lexus. 

Given that the car isn’t that heavy and is unlikely ever to go over 120mph, they do seem to be over-specified anyway. The marketing bods probably insisted on “performance” spec tyres when touring or all season would be plenty good enough - and probably more useful to most owners!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi im also looking at tyres for the front and noticed these by   235/40R19 MAXXIS VS EV 96W XL SILent  for ev motors , With a db of only 68 !!!!  & fuel  B, wet A  & 96 load rating.. ,  and as prev mentioned a W rated tyre on a T  rated vehicle is way over the top ... i have used maxxis 225/45R17 MAXXIS HP5 94W XL  on my prelude 200 bhp vti and was very impressed..... what are peps thoughts .

GetLabelImage.png

The Maxxiss All Seasons I had used on my Ls400 ( different size and car ) felt a little “ hard “ driving BUT never seemed to wear out on the rears ……. great longevity at the expense of “comfort” 

Malc 

7 hours ago, hondansxr said:

hi thanks for that these s are designed for ev so quietness is their main point so it would have to be softer to be quieter i think . going to try for 250 pair .

The db noise rating is taken externally as the subject car drives past.As electric milk floats, sorry ,cars tend to be quieter than proper cars,perhaps it's a" false" reading.

They only become noisier as they burn and explode.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links