Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Passenger Experience

Rabbers

As the result of a bruised ankle I spent the last week with my wife at the wheel of our RC and myself as the passenger.  Of course this was not the first time our normal roles were reversed, but the drives had always been much shorter. Apart from a few frights due to my unjustified belief that she was driving too close to the kerb or was going to hit a cyclist, I must admit that I rather enjoyed being chauffeured around.  This was because I felt free to fiddle at will with the infotainment system via the touchpad (albeit to my wife's irritation), to adjust the seat position according to my whims and needs at any given moment, and generally to admire the nice design and construction of the cabin and controls without the distraction of constantly having to focus on the road. Although I was happy to get back behind the wheel I think I'll probably surrender it more often in future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rabbers said:

As the result of a bruised ankle I spent the last week with my wife at the wheel of our RC and myself as the passenger.  Of course this was not the first time our normal roles were reversed, but the drives had always been much shorter. Apart from a few frights due to my unjustified belief that she was driving too close to the kerb or was going to hit a cyclist, I must admit that I rather enjoyed being chauffeured around.  This was because I felt free to fiddle at will with the infotainment system via the touchpad (albeit to my wife's irritation), to adjust the seat position according to my whims and needs at any given moment, and generally to admire the nice design and construction of the cabin and controls without the distraction of constantly having to focus on the road. Although I was happy to get back behind the wheel I think I'll probably surrender it more often in future.

It is nice isn't it? you can fiddle with music and look at the landscape, etc.... But the problem is I'm too biased to trust others driving and I would always keep an eye on what/how they're doing 😅

I think what I would enjoy the most is not having to watch out for potholes 100% of the time

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

…. But the problem is I'm too biased to trust others driving and I would always keep an eye on what/how they're doing 😅

Yes, however hard I try to relax with somebody else at the wheel, I never really succeed.  I have learned under threat of being made to get out and walk to remain silent when the driver is my wife but my instinctive tendency to simulate braking in the footwell and cling white-knuckled to the armrests inevitably transmits my nervousness anyway.  To be perfectly honest I don’t know what I can do about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 months later...

I don't get the opportunity to be chaffered around in my own car that much any more. Infact, in my UX I think I can still just about count on one hand that’s happened in over three years!

On one of those occasions I did manage to experience sitting in the back of it whilst in motion. It was more comfortable than I thought it would be. I was pleasantly surprised.

Whilst up front, oddly I have found the touchpad easier to navigate around from the passenger seat than the driver’s. Then again, from the driver's seat whilst in motion I do have other, more pressing matters, on my mind!

On 3/3/2023 at 7:49 AM, Rabbers said:

I have long since given up suggesting to the other half that she drive either the Ranger Rover or my car!  It tends to be met with a comment along the lines of "why would I want to do that, that's what you are here for".  I guess its because it then gives her an opportunity to play on her phone whilst I'm driving before complaining that I'm going too fast because she's not watching the road!

I do envy those who say marriage is easy!!

19 minutes ago, Jgtcracer said:

… I do envy those who say marriage is easy!!

So do I, but it doesn’t necessarily mean I believe them. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links