Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wireless charging pad and protruding phone camera bar

Just upgraded my mobile from a nice flat Samsung S9 to a Pixel 7 with a protruding camera bar that now means wireless charging no longer works.

Anyone encountered this and have a suggestion? I can't imagine wireless to antenna induction working if I stick a thin sheet of ferrous material to bridge the 1mm gap.

Thanks!

I rang the Lexus (UK) service department, they stated there was no physical difference between the 2023 and 2022 and that this is an acknowledged problem - apparently also an issue for Audi.

I asked that this be fed back to Lexus product design.

Thanks for the suggestion though @Klaudiusz

2 minutes ago, DoubleVeteran said:

I asked that this be fed back to Lexus product design.

Who won't do anything about it.

So many different designs of mobile phone out there that any car manufacturer can't be expected to cater for all of them.

I'm sorry but this really smacks of entitlement.
I want Lexus to redesign a £42K+ car for me and my phone!

I mean it's all the wrong way round complaining that your car doesn't fit your phone, it's laughable.
Just change your phone.

On 3/3/2023 at 9:50 AM, DoubleVeteran said:

Just upgraded my mobile from a nice flat Samsung S9 to a Pixel 7 with a protruding camera bar that now means wireless charging no longer works.

Anyone encountered this and have a suggestion? I can't imagine wireless to antenna induction working if I stick a thin sheet of ferrous material to bridge the 1mm gap.

Thanks!

Have you tried looking for a case for the Pixel 7 that will somewhat "cancel out" the height difference between the camera bar and the rest of the phone's back? That way, the phone may lie a bit flatter on the surface of the charger and make a better contact. Obviously the case would need to support wireless charging.

3 hours ago, Andy B said:

Have you tried looking for a case for the Pixel 7 that will somewhat "cancel out" the height difference between the camera bar and the rest of the phone's back? That way, the phone may lie a bit flatter on the surface of the charger and make a better contact. Obviously the case would need to support wireless charging.

Or lie your phone face down flat. Works for my Iphone and it's annoying sticky out camera

1 hour ago, Al D-Much said:

Or lie your phone face down flat. Works for my iPhone and it's annoying sticky out camera

Alex, are you saying that putting your Iphone face down works on the 2022 NX phone charger? The problems all relate to the latest NX. Is your charger manufactured in 2020?

6 hours ago, Al D-Much said:

I'm sorry but this really smacks of entitlement.
I want Lexus to redesign a £42K+ car for me and my phone!

I mean it's all the wrong way round complaining that your car doesn't fit your phone, it's laughable.
Just change your phone.

The charger should be compatible to the Qi wireless charging standard.  As should be the Pixel phone.  One of them clearly is not compatible with the standard or it would be charging properly.  Or, one side is broken... or the standard is deficient and somehow allows for incompatibilities. 

@DoubleVeteranDoes the Pixel 7 charge OK on other Qi certified charging pads?

Having paid £42k+ I do think the OP is entitled for the advertised features on the vehicle to work and to work to specification.  Of course it may do - and the problem might be with the phone... 

Paul

On 3/3/2023 at 9:50 AM, DoubleVeteran said:

Thanks!

A ferrous material will detune the Qi transmitter and will likely be detected as a foreign object, causing the charger to turn off.

See if the phone charges on another type of Qi pad.  I guess the S9 worked ok in the car?

Paul

Having considered the problem and implications a little further, I've revised my thinking.
To prolong the life of modern phone batteries, the best approach is to incrementally charge the Battery rather than rapid charging.
During my 50 min drive, with an Android Auto tethered connection (Waze & Music playing) my Pixel 7 charge increases by 10% - which is pretty much ideal.

Whatever happened to plans for Lexus to support wireless AA, how come wireless apple CarPlay is supported? 

2 minutes ago, DoubleVeteran said:

Having considered the problem and implications a little further, I've revised my thinking.
To prolong the life of modern phone batteries, the best approach is to incrementally charge the battery rather than rapid charging.
During my 50 min drive, with an Android Auto tethered connection (Waze & Music playing) my Pixel 7 charge increases by 10% - which is pretty much ideal.

Whatever happened to plans for Lexus to support wireless AA, how come wireless Apple CarPlay is supported? 

The way to do this on android 13 is to enable "adaptive charging" and let the phone manage it rather than you trying to balance charge rate and discharge rates.

I would not hold your breath for integrated wireless AA (based on my unsuccessful experience of trying to get Lexus to fix basic software bugs). Assume the vehicle has and will continue to have the features it was shipped with and nothing more.  If wireless AA eventually gets enabled, then great.  I believe the new RX is also not shipping with wireless AA either.  

You can get a wireless android auto adapter such as AA Wireless: https://www.aawireless.io/

Paul

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hintonwood said:

Alex, are you saying that putting your iphone face down works on the 2022 NX phone charger? The problems all relate to the latest NX. Is your charger manufactured in 2020?

My NX is a 2020, with wireless charging.
All I am saying is that if your phone (on ANY wireless charger) does not lie flat on its back, lie it face down. The screen is nice and flat and it will still wireless charge.

The problem isn't the 2022 NX, it's the phones.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PDM said:

The way to do this on android 13 is to enable "adaptive charging" and let the phone manage it rather than you trying to balance charge rate and discharge rates.

I would not hold your breath for integrated wireless AA (based on my unsuccessful experience of trying to get Lexus to fix basic software bugs). Assume the vehicle has and will continue to have the features it was shipped with and nothing more.  If wireless AA eventually gets enabled, then great.  I believe the new RX is also not shipping with wireless AA either.  

You can get a wireless android auto adapter such as AA Wireless: https://www.aawireless.io/

Paul

I understand why too.
apple products are very strictly controlled in respects of hardware and their "walled garden" OS and iOS platforms. It is therefore much easier to spec up for car manufacturers and include the "toys" 
As Android is more open and each phone manufacturer has their version with makers add-ons it's much more difficult to make a compatible fixed item in a vehicle that is compatible with "everything"

And car manufacturers are slower and more cautious than the tech giants.
For example the previous NX had wireless charging, but not wireless ACP, for fear of security and possibility of messing up the car's wireless systems like the TPMS.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links