Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Roadside assistance renewal

Anyone else had a renewal for Lexus Roadside Assistance recently? Just had mine through, gone up 24%, to £155. I presume Lexus are having as laugh, as even though the service is good, that is a ridiculous rise, and sees me changing assistance provider.

1 hour ago, luckyduck said:

Anyone else had a renewal for Lexus Roadside Assistance recently? Just had mine through, gone up 24%, to £155. I presume Lexus are having as laugh, as even though the service is good, that is a ridiculous rise, and sees me changing assistance provider.

Depends what you want from the cover - at £155 it is still good value (if annoying that it has gone up 24%) for everything that is included (also covers you and a partner driving any car). Of course, if you don't need everything that is included then there will undoubtedly be cheaper cover available. I just priced up the equivalent cover direct with the AA for JUST the UK (so no European cover) and that alone came to £280 per year. Adding European cover was at least another £160 to £220 on top of that (depending on how many Euro countries you want cover for) for an annual cover policy.

I had my renewal through at £155 which I felt was a bit high so went direct to AA and had a fairly comparable quote, single car, any driver, for £94 which I felt was a reasonable price for peace of mind whilst out and about.

My policy started at the beginning of February so I guess they mayhave done a reprice for cover since then which is reflected in some of the prices other members have experienced above.

In the last 5 years, I’ve used the breakdown service once for a failed Battery so not exactly high dependency on it hence wanting a lower price than my Lexus renewal price.

As with all insurance renewals, shop around and find less expensive equivalent cover then negotiate with your current provider. A lot of the time they'll match.

My RAC renewal always comes in +20% sometimes more. I was connected to a 'representative' years ago who was just leaving his employment and he actually admitted that they do it on purpose because most people don't question it or forget and it renews automatically at the higher premium. Shocking but true.

So never accept any renewal premium, always research and negotiate. I know it's a pain but it could save you £hundreds. 😉

RAC cover appropriate maybe ?   covers husband and wife ( or whatever and driving any vehicle even a 3rd party's car too ) 

Malc

19 minutes ago, Madsod said:

I had my renewal through at £155 which I felt was a bit high so went direct to AA and had a fairly comparable quote, single car, any driver, for £94 which I felt was a reasonable price for peace of mind whilst out and about.

My policy started at the beginning of February so I guess they mayhave done a reprice for cover since then which is reflected in some of the prices other members have experienced above.

In the last 5 years, I’ve used the breakdown service once for a failed battery so not exactly high dependency on it hence wanting a lower price than my Lexus renewal price.

This is from the AA website for the same UK cover as the Lexus £155 (2 people, any car, At Home, National Recovery and Onward Travel) but the AA cover doesn't include European cover which the Lexus one does - of course if some of this cover is reduced the cost can be reduced (for example for a single person with just the basic breakdown cover it is £100 according to the AA website).

image.thumb.png.caa8b392ccb8094024662b3edff56f80.png

I tow a caravan with the RX, so went to Caravan club Greenflag, and same cover as Lexus, but without Europe, as I don't need it, and cover for car and caravan comes in at £105. Moving cover now.

33 minutes ago, luckyduck said:

I tow a caravan with the RX, so went to Caravan club Greenflag, and same cover as Lexus, but without Europe, as I don't need it, and cover for car and caravan comes in at £105. Moving cover now.

The thing with breakdown cover is comparing apples with apples - if the cover bought is what you want / need then no problem but the cover you have for £105 for example is not as comprehensive as the Lexus cover. I went to through the Caravan Club website and did a quote and when Home Start is included and a second vehicle and cover for driving any car and for one's partner driving any car then the cost for Green Flag is actually £189 - so more than the Lexus cover (and that's only UK, no European cover).

As I said, if what is actually covered for the price paid is what one needs that's great - but it's not the same cover as Lexus are offering. I've done a lot of trying to get breakdown cover that Lexus offer for less (given that what I need are virtually all the options on the Lexus cover) and after adding in the various options to the base cover with all the major breakdown organisations it always comes out more. 

• Like 2

The AA have clearly increased their policy prices as I’ve just completed a new quote for my policy and it’s now £220.00 which is a huge increase on the £94.50 I purchased in February.

I have single car, roadside, at home, onward travel and national recovery which covers my needs although my email does say it includes a discount of £221.43 which combined with my actual premium suggests the starting price was more than todays quote.

ultimately, for me, it comes to finding the policy benefits you want/need at price your happy to pay and this may dramatically differ from someone else’s perspective.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Madsod said:

The AA have clearly increased their policy prices as I’ve just completed a new quote for my policy and it’s now £220.00 which is a huge increase on the £94.50 I purchased in February.

I have single car, roadside, at home, onward travel and national recovery which covers my needs although my email does say it includes a discount of £221.43 which combined with my actual premium suggests the starting price was more than todays quote.

ultimately, for me, it comes to finding the policy benefits you want/need at price your happy to pay and this may dramatically differ from someone else’s perspective.

Yes it does look that way which is probably why the Lexus price has gone up as it's all delivered by the AA. The Lexus cover has only one option - everything included. If that suits the needs (as it does for me) I don't think there is anything that is cheaper in the market but if one doesn't need everything in the Lexus cover then the only option is to look elsewhere where one can probably purchase a lesser cover for a lower price. However that's not the "same" cover as Lexus offers, just suits the needs of that individual who doesn't need everything the Lexus cover offers. 

3 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

My roadside assistance is included as part of my 10yr plus extended warranty, so does anyone know if the cost of this warranty has been increased this year?

Mine is too which is what makes the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty such a good deal for me as I would have take the Lexus Roadside Assisstance anyway so that's some 25% of the annual warranty fee. It will be interesting to see whether the LRA increase changed the warranty cost but mine isn't due for renewal until November. 

3 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Mine is too which is what makes the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty such a good deal for me as I would have take the Lexus Roadside Assisstance anyway so that's some 25% of the annual warranty fee. It will be interesting to see whether the LRA increase changed the warranty cost but mine isn't due for renewal until November. 

Mine's not until November too Phil, so hopefully someone with an earlier renewal will come along with an update.

It's a shame they don't let you take out the extended warranty over a longer period in advance, to avoid any increases, like they do with service plans.

• Like 1

My extended warranty taken out a couple of years back runs out on the 23rd of this month. This will then be superseded by the relax one. Unfortunately, the relax warranty doesn’t include LRA. Lexus charge £155 for a year’s cover. I know that LRA is actually AA cover so thought I see how much exactly the same cover would cost directly through the AA. They quoted me £280! Needless to say I’ve renewed it through Lexus.

Another benefit of the old extended warranty was that it included free MOT. Unfortunately my local Lexus dealer can’t fit me in until 30th March which is after my LEW runs out. However, they have told me that they will waive the MOT cost. Hats off to Lexus Lincoln!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

Mine's not until November too Phil, so hopefully someone with an earlier renewal will come along with an update.

It's a shame they don't let you take out the extended warranty over a longer period in advance, to avoid any increases, like they do with service plans.

The old Extended Warranty before Relax used to be available for 2 years at a time but the new 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty only the one year unfortunately. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links