Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ok, so I got my wheel bearings replaced and paid £1250 for the privilege. However whoever test drove it must have been 5'0" as they adjusted the steering all the way down and all the way in. It adjusts out again but the rake adjustment is now not working. I managed to drive it home but it's bloody difficult as can't see the speedo or indicator repeaters and getting in and out is a PITA.

I will try disconnecting the Battery and see if that works but otherwise will have to find a way to manually adjust it to the fully up position.

If anyone here has done this I'd appreciate any advice.

• Sad 1

Not sure about the "rake" but with the "reach" you can click the adjuster at the side about 8 times towards you and it gives you more. Maybe it's worth trying to click it up 8 times and see what happens. I did have an issue years ago on my 2000 ls430 and couldn't find a way forward so I removed all the cover around the steering wheel, found the rake and manually put it into the position I wanted and it just stayed in that position.

• Like 1

Thanks Mark. I'll have a go at adjusting it manually tomorrow. It's good to know that I can manually adjust it without having to remove the steering wheel. I'm quite happy to not have it movable as only I drive it.

I am aware of the 8-clicks extra reach and I do use it all the way out with the seat fully back and down. At 6'4" I don't have much choice in the position but it is comfy 😁

Oh dear…the wheel bearings are not an easy replacement and Lexus would charge top rate. The suspension downlink needs removing…(easy)…bearing needs to be removed from hub (diy if you have equipment) cost of bearing can be stupid. But it all adds up. You’re at least set for a long time now…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get the steering shroud off and manipulated the tilt shaft with a pair of pliers. Once I'd moved the shaft a little the motor could move the shaft but only a little bit. Took a while to get it from fully down to fully up. I think the motor is partially seized and whilst it needs replacing that is a job for another day. I did lube the shaft with spray LM grease but it didn't make much difference.

At least I now have the steering tilt fully up so I can get in and out without giving myself a hernia. 😁

• Haha 1

If you do decide to replace the motor below is a good tutorial.

Price from Amayama also but bear in mind you may have to pay the VAT in addition on the total price £186.89 but still around a 50% saving!

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/8923150050

• Like 2

12 hours ago, steve2006 said:

If you do decide to replace the motor below is a good tutorial.

Price from Amayama also but bear in mind you may have to pay the VAT in addition on the total price £186.89 but still around a 50% saving!https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/8923150050

Thanks Steve. That was the video I used to figure out how to get at the motor/shaft without removing the steering wheel.
I'll get the motor ordered and add it to the rear-left door actuator I still haven't fitted 3 years on since buying it. 🤣

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links