Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX 450h second hand prices.

Hi boys!

You might remember me from the GS-forum, where i was on the fence of buying a GS450h. That did not happen, so i started to look at other models.

Found the RX450h, had 3 of them at dealers 5 minutes away from me, so i went and tried two of them out - a golden 2010 luxury and f-sport with 62.000 miles and one owner, and a 2013 luxury with 3 previous owners with 83500 miles on the clock.

I decided that i liked the latter better, since it felt more comfortable on rough roads and was a bit more up to date. The price was a staggering 19800£ with Zero room for negotiating. The car was serviced perfect up until 2020-03 when the 3rd owner decided to skip it until he traded it in. So the car had not been serviced between 2020-03 - 2023-01 and 25700 miles.

The dealer said the car had been through rigorous testing and had been serviced (the big one, new spark plugs etc), so i decided to buy it.

Had it for 4 days before i returned to the dealer to return the car. On day 3, it became choppy. While accelerating, the car kind of held back a bit, then a kick came, then it held back, etc. I also noted that the last 4 times i started it, the car made a strange noise, kind of like a muffled bang, and it took 3-4 seconds for it to start.

No problems to return it, but here i am. I thought 19800£ was steep for a 83k miles car that is 11 years old, but i just fell in love with it and want another one.

The prices are absolutely insane though. If you want a 2016 with 65.000 miles on the clock, you have to pony up 27500£ without a sweat. These are cars that are sold by non-Lexus dealers - if you want a certified car from then, you have to add 3000-4000£.

My previous experience did not dent my entusiasm though, but these prices do. I can pay it, but how sensible is it, from a financial standpoint? I can get a V60 or V90, with leather seats, the big audio system, sun roof and all safety features with 60.000 miles tops on the clock for 18.500 - 19.000£. these cars have been leased by companies and are fully serviced.

What do you think? 

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear of your problems with that car. I rate my 2014 RX very highly, get a good one and it should give many years of troublefree motoring.

It makes for an interesting comparison with this one, similar age and mileage at my local main dealer for just under £15k: https://www.steveneagell.co.uk/lexus/pre-owned/16057545

My RX is now coming up to 70,000 miles and I have owned it for over four years. I plan to keep it for at least another 5-6 years.

• Like 1

Prices of used cars have gone up in the last few years, mine was 11 years old when I bought it 18 months ago, just before prices went crazy, and it was substantially less than that.

That said, I wouldn't be too concerned about buying from an independent dealer, rather than paying a large premium to buy from a Lexus one. Mine was from an independent and had full Lexus service history, one owner and looked and drove liked new.   I doubt I've done better buying from Lexus, so it's a case of shopping around until the right one comes along.

Whatever the case, I'd check that it had a full service history and had been properly serviced to schedule. Also would be worth giving the underside, sills and wheel arches a look over for rust.  The 450hs don't seem to suffer from it much, unless they've spent their life in winter conditions or by the coast. so there shouldn't be anything more than a bit of the usual surface corrosion.

Not sure where you are, but in the UK Lexus also offer an extended warranty up to 15yrs/150k miles, subject to an inspection and Lexus servicing, for around £550 a year.  If it's available where you are then it's reasonable value peace of mind, as it includes breakdown cover too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSalmon said:

Hi boys!

You might remember me from the GS-forum, where i was on the fence of buying a GS450h. That did not happen, so i started to look at other models.

Found the RX450h, had 3 of them at dealers 5 minutes away from me, so i went and tried two of them out - a golden 2010 luxury and f-sport with 62.000 miles and one owner, and a 2013 luxury with 3 previous owners with 83500 miles on the clock.

I decided that i liked the latter better, since it felt more comfortable on rough roads and was a bit more up to date. The price was a staggering 19800£ with Zero room for negotiating. The car was serviced perfect up until 2020-03 when the 3rd owner decided to skip it until he traded it in. So the car had not been serviced between 2020-03 - 2023-01 and 25700 miles.

The dealer said the car had been through rigorous testing and had been serviced (the big one, new spark plugs etc), so i decided to buy it.

Had it for 4 days before i returned to the dealer to return the car. On day 3, it became choppy. While accelerating, the car kind of held back a bit, then a kick came, then it held back, etc. I also noted that the last 4 times i started it, the car made a strange noise, kind of like a muffled bang, and it took 3-4 seconds for it to start.

No problems to return it, but here i am. I thought 19800£ was steep for a 83k miles car that is 11 years old, but i just fell in love with it and want another one.

The prices are absolutely insane though. If you want a 2016 with 65.000 miles on the clock, you have to pony up 27500£ without a sweat. These are cars that are sold by non-Lexus dealers - if you want a certified car from then, you have to add 3000-4000£.

My previous experience did not dent my entusiasm though, but these prices do. I can pay it, but how sensible is it, from a financial standpoint? I can get a V60 or V90, with leather seats, the big audio system, sun roof and all safety features with 60.000 miles tops on the clock for 18.500 - 19.000£. these cars have been leased by companies and are fully serviced.

What do you think? 

Whilst the price may be stubborn the service side is a bit more flexible. When I bought mine I negotiated a 3 year service schedule and extended warranty (not relax) paid in advance on a 0%  credit card. Which means uneventful motoring for 3 years. So factor that into your true cost of ownership. And bear in mind depreciation becomes less of an issue with this age of car 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback - i live in Sweden. Prices are absolutely soaring right now on RX450, like my topic said. I think almost 20k is way too much for a 11-13 year old car, where some don't even have ML.

It is very hard to find a RX450h with good ownership history. Just because i looked away from GS450h, a 2012, in perfect condition showed up. It had EVERYTHING except a sun roof. Fully served at Lexus, one owner, and just 60.000 miles on the clock..it got sold in 3 days (since it is only like 200-300 GSH450 in the entire country).

The other issue is IS-models. We dont get IS or GS350 here, and i dont think GS250 is value for money, neither is IS300 since 98% of the IS on market here in Sweden don't have ML or leatherseats. Just executive.

Amazingly it seems to be a enormous task to purchase a Lexus in Sweden - might have to look for a Volvo. Like i said, you can get a 4 year old V90 or V60, with leather seats, sun roof, big audio and all the safety goodies. I just feel like the reliability is far away from Lexus, and that maintenance is more expensive and breakdowns are more probable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheSalmon said:

I just feel like the reliability is far away from Lexus, and that maintenance is more expensive and breakdowns are more probable.

I agree used prices are high, but it's driven by market demand and lack of new cars ultimately impacts what is available used.

Never had a Volvo myself, but I would guess there must be quite a few independents in Sweden who can maintain / repair a Volvo whereas options for Lexus would be limited.

WE HAVE A RX450 SEL WITH @ 135000 ON THE CLOCK FSH ROOF RAILS TOWBAR CREAM LEATHER AND FULL CREAM INTERIOR PALE BLUE PAINT

A FEW BODYWORK DINKS / NEXT SERVICE MINOR DUE NOW

SECOND OWNERS

ANY THOUGHTS ON VALUE? ANYONE INTERESTED?

I have a 2011 (61) RX450H SE with 148k and almost full history from lexus (2 stamps missing) Black leather interior in very good condition inside, Grey outside has a few light scratches but no dents. I'd like to sell, what do you guys think I can get for it?

Would the above 2 members please bear in mind most members are not motor traders and the LOC is not affiliated to WBAC, Motorway or any other car companies.

If you want to get an idea of your vehicle’s value perhaps a search of Autotrader or eBay may provide the information you seek.

If you then proceed to selling your cars then please feel free to place a post in the “Cars for sale” section of the forum following the required format.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links