Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Suspected sticky caliper / Squeaking breaks issue

Right after having a squeal coming from the rear of the car me and the husband have started investigating the culprit.

as I explain consider that I brought the car 11 months ago from lexus Leicester, 2800 miles ago. See the photo of the condition of the breaks. They look like they have been in the sea.

we have ordered some new discs and pads for the rear from lexus parts. 
can anyone explain in detail , other than the obvious only half a break pad is there, what else exactly needs checking or changing to ensure the common sticking caliper issue is resolved so as not to damage my new disks.

2B56707F-8261-4031-B4FE-DA4C0949D9C2.jpeg

Use red rubber grease for the slider pins Wire brush the caliper housing, & consider changing out the brake fluid but there is a specific procedure for this with Hybrids to prevent the brake actuator from building pressure remove the 12v power from the Battery remove the negative lead as a precaution. The caliper may just be fine. You may need new brake pads hardware like shims & the retaining clips etc if they have also corroded otherwise you will still get the squeal if the pads are not moving freely.

& sorry but No way has that occured in the last 2-3k miles unless its been parked at the beach for a while.  I'd doubt the Lexus service department for not picking up on worn brakes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nickyt211 said:

Right after having a squeal coming from the rear of the car me and the husband have started investigating the culprit.

as I explain consider that I brought the car 11 months ago from lexus Leicester, 2800 miles ago. See the photo of the condition of the breaks. They look like they have been in the sea.

we have ordered some new discs and pads for the rear from lexus parts. 
can anyone explain in detail , other than the obvious only half a break pad is there, what else exactly needs checking or changing to ensure the common sticking caliper issue is resolved so as not to damage my new disks.

2B56707F-8261-4031-B4FE-DA4C0949D9C2.jpeg

Depends on what the issue actually is. A squeal could just be worn pads. The wear indicators rubbing against the disc create a squeal - this is by design to indicate that the pads need replacing. Consider getting new shims if needed or re-use the originals if they're still good. They need to be greased too. 

Replacing pads might be a good idea given your pads look nearly done. The disks may not need replacing if it isnt warped or below the specified thickness. 

Sometimes just having the brakes serviced e.g having everything cleaned and re-greased might help. I reckon they do this anyway when changing the pads. 

Here are some instructions that can help http://zatonevkredit(blocked word)/repair_manuals/raw_content/AWHukXYRrzlLPWuuGKKU

If the issue is really the caliper piston sticking then you need to re-build the caliper or have it replaced. But you should be covered under warranty if its just been 11 months since you bought your car from a lexus dealer. 

How old is the car and what mileage? As a red point my IS 300h is 8.5 years old and 133k miles and the rear brakes (incl pads) are still original. The discs were reported as getting pitted last service but are still working fine and have plenty of pad life on them. Your mileage does seem very low however and this can have an adverse effect if the car has been left outside unussd for long periods. That picture does seem to show the pads in a very poor state even for that though and as above if the car was bought 11 months ago from a Lexus dealer you are still within the used car warranty period and so may be worth asking them - what's the other side like or the fronts? 

My car is a 2013 with 82000 on the clock. I thought about asking Lexus but assumed as it’s a wear and tear item they wouldn’t be interested. I had a quick look at the breaks last weekend and the piston is moving nicely tbh. I plan on wire brushing all the rust off the calliper and painting them, I plan on checking and greasing up the slider pins while I’m at it anyway so hoping the original squeak sound was the pads poor state. 
is the shim kit essential?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nickyt211 said:

My car is a 2013 with 82000 on the clock. I thought about asking Lexus but assumed as it’s a wear and tear item they wouldn’t be interested. I had a quick look at the breaks last weekend and the piston is moving nicely tbh. I plan on wire brushing all the rust off the calliper and painting them, I plan on checking and greasing up the slider pins while I’m at it anyway so hoping the original squeak sound was the pads poor state. 

Always worth a try? Looking at the state of the pads and clips I would have thought you'd have a reasonable case. That looks a lot worse than just normal usage. 

18 minutes ago, Nickyt211 said:

No the shim kit isn't essential but recommend to prevent squeaking under normal braking. It definitely works but can be pricy. Typically you should be able to reuse the old ones. I recommend keeping things as stock as possible. 

• Like 1

I will use this thread to ask a question:

Sometimes when the car has been in the garage for a few days and I disengage the handbrake (foot brake, rahter) and shift to D to leave the garage, it feels as if the rear brakes had 'stuck' to the discs and it takes a split second of the car pulling in D to feel it 'unsticking' and pulling away.... I dunno if this is normal and if I should be worried about it... the car is 23K miles and registrered at the end of 2018. 🤔

4 minutes ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

Sometimes when the car has been in the garage for a few days and I disengage the handbrake (foot brake, rahter) and shift to D to leave the garage, it feels as if the rear brakes had 'stuck' to the discs and it takes a split second of the car pulling in D to feel it 'unsticking' and pulling away.... I dunno if this is normal and if I should be worried about it... the car is 23K miles and registrered at the end of 2018. 🤔

Mine often does this after being sat on the drive and it has rained or I have parked when the brakes have been wet - such as after washing the car - AFAIK it's the corrosion on the wet discs sticking to the pads and nothing to worry about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

Yeah thats normal. Its from normal rust buildup on the rotors due to moisture / condensation / rain or whatever. Those things dont even need an excuse to start rusting. 

• Thanks 1

Ok the shim kit is in poor condition really it’s £45 ish for a new one but I wanted to do it this weekend as I need to use the car for work next week.
Where is the park brake located guys? 

7 minutes ago, Nickyt211 said:

Ok the shim kit is in poor condition really it’s £45 ish for a new one but I wanted to do it this weekend as I need to use the car for work next week.
Where is the park brake located guys? 

Here is the workshop manual. Bookmark it for future. You can find info under Brake>>Parking brake 

http://zatonevkredit(blocked word)/repair_manuals/viewdoc_html/AWHuj7EURvZszzJrV4Yg?utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks

Hey guys just had the pads delivered and I was expecting them to be a split pad like the stock pictures. Do these look right for the rear to you? 
the part number is correct on the box to Lexus parts website? 

IMG_3644.jpeg

On 5/18/2023 at 9:41 PM, Nickyt211 said:

Is this the right silicone grease for the slider pins?

5A0CEDB7-FD0F-4618-A14B-CBA02AA8A7A1.png

I'd recommend only using the official Toyota stuff...

Capture.JPG

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links