Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone using Apple CarPlay in a 2019 RC300h?

Hi. First post here …

I’ve been test driving an RC300h F-Sport. It’s a 2019/2020 car, so I understand the infotainment system should be apple CarPlay compatible. But I tried plugging my Iphone in to the USB port in the armrest and nothing happened.

Is there a process I should be following to set it up? I followed the manual (which I downloaded from Lexus) and the CarPlay icon just didn’t appear on the dash screen when it should have.

Thanks. 

Try enabling Siri on your Iphone, either by a side switch or in Settings, then toggle “Allow Siri when Locked” to On, then connect your Iphone to one of the USB sockets inside the armrest.  Your display should then confirm CarPlay compatibility with instructions for enabling it.  No confirmation would mean your RC model is not compatible. 

Thanks Rabbers. I’ve done all that and I didn’t get any confirmation on the car’s display. I’ve used the phone in other cars with CarPlay working just fine. Looks like maybe the RC has an older infotainment system than it’s supposed to have. It’s coming from a Lexus dealership so I’ll have them look into it. Perhaps it just needs a firmware update …

1 hour ago, poprock said:

…Looks like maybe the RC has an older infotainment system than it’s supposed to have. …

I think you’re probably right … and maybe you can negotiate a bit off the asking price because of it.

17 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

I think you’re probably right … and maybe you can negotiate a bit off the asking price because of it.

The dealership’s technicians think they can update the head unit for me. If so, then great. I’ve already negotiated a fresh set of tyres and a year’s road tax. Hoping to press the button and pay the deposit this weekend.

• Like 1

That is interesting... because I am sure if you ask them the same question after purchasing the car, then the answer would be that "it is not possible just to upgrade the firmware and it is hardware issue".

21 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

That is interesting... because I am sure if you ask them the same question after purchasing the car, then the answer would be that "it is not possible just to upgrade the firmware and it is hardware issue".

If it turns out they can’t, then they can knock enough money off for me to fit a third-party replacement instead and I’ll get a modern touchscreen. 

Definitely the dealer’s problem, since they advertised the car with CarPlay.

Yes... that is as well what I would do. It is ~£500-700 and you get the system which is 5 times better than Lexus one. Although the FL cars do have pretty much the best system Lexus has made to this date. Pre-FL I would not even bother and would fit third party replacement right away. 

My RC ,first regd. 3/20 has the option for AA/CP...you should find it on the setup menu.

I did have problems getting my phone to connect to AA (Motorola phone)..Lexus and Motorola each blamed the other..I think that Motorola were to blame.I eventually got it to work perfectly by using a AAWireless dongle to give a successful wireless connection.

Don't ever try  the Carlinkit dongle..it didn't work and their customer service was abysmal.Quite a number of others here have had similar experiences.

Is your RC the facelift model?I think that will be the key to it.

Not all face lift cars had AA/CP... Lexus started fitting new infotainment into RC in 2018 (there are some pre-FL with new system), but AA/CP only came at some point in 2019, maybe even in 2020... so it is possible that cars up-to certain date in 2019 didn't have it fitted (or according in this particular case Lexus claims didn't have right firmware?!). 

12 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Not all face lift cars had AA/CP...  it is possible that cars up-to certain date in 2019 didn't have it fitted. 

This is my concern, and why I brought it up with the dealer. I won’t hear anything back today, the sales guy I’m dealing with doesn’t work Fridays.

We were in a similar situation when buying our Approved Used RC; car was advertised with CarPlay but was fitted with the older MM17 unit despite the car being registered in 2020 (Vin put build at May 2019).

Dealer put his hands up and offered to return our PX and deposit or negotiate compensation. We ended up with a 3 year service plan at no cost to ourselves. The only thing we insisted on was that the plan was transferrable to a new Lexus should we change within the 3 years. When we changed from the RC to our current RX the dealer simply transferred the plan to the RX and absorbed the extra cost themselves.

If you know the Vin Number you can check on Toyodiy.com to find the build date [Link], from memory anything before Jul/Aug 2019 will have the MM17 fitted. If you do have the older head unit fitted you'll find that it can't be upgraded to CarPlay with a software fix as the hardware isn't compatible, despite what the dealership may say.

That’s really helpful, thanks Sixty.

I don’t have the VIN number but that would be an easy check after buying the car.

Basically if the car isn’t quite as advertised I’ll ask them to cover the cost of bringing it up to spec - probably by installing an aftermarket unit. If they offer servicing in lieu of that, then the costs would probably balance out and I’d be happy enough.

1 hour ago, poprock said:

… the sales guy I’m dealing with doesn’t work Fridays.

Interesting post.  I can understand a Jewish salesmen not working Saturdays and some old-fashioned Catholics resting on Sundays, but I never heard of a car salesman not hustling his wares on a Friday …😳

So … our Lexus dealer backtracked in the end and said their senior technician had investigated and found that there was no way of adding CarPlay to the car’s system after all (no surprise there then).

I accepted their offer of a set of new tyres and some money off the car to make up for it. I’ve paid a deposit and am collecting my new car on Thursday!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links