Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat nav update?

MCR

I have a IS250C, 2010 which I have just bought, whose satnav is 2009/10 and I want to update it.  I know, get a Garmin, use your phone, it’s a lot more efficient, etc etc.  However I still like built in satnav.  I looked through the LOC posts and presumed that mine had the DVD system so got the latest DVD (2018), took off the front panel and there was a DVD slot but I couldn’t see a way of getting the old one out. So I then started delving and find that maybe I don't have the DVD system as it does not come upon the ‘Map Data’.  What does come up is ‘Data: 2009 - 2010 Ver. 1’  and ‘Gracenote (CDDB): ver. 01727’.

Can anyone explain what I can do to update it?  I don’t particularly want to take it to a dealer.

I attach two photos, one off the screen and one of the ‘slot’ behind the panel.

Thanks for your help.

B55F599D-EC36-4C38-9EB0-5DEF05137FA0.jpeg

E513C1B2-42C1-4AFA-ACDC-723917016F2E.jpeg

Hi Malcolm. To remove the old CD there is a link on the satnav screen. Look in settings. 

As for the 2018 disc. I forget if that is compatible with the gen 2 IS.

Look in the gen 2 IS section as there are a few threads on upgrading the cars infotainment screen. Yes it'll cost around £350 But you'll have an ultra modern system that looks stock.

Hi Vlad. Thanks for your advice, but alas there is no ‘settings’ button on the satnav.  I attach two photos of the left and right hand side of the screen, and the screen itself.  Having looked at the screen info on the satnav, it appears that it is something to do with ‘Gracenote’ whatever that is, but I can’t see anything on screen which shows me how to find out whether there is a DVD or not.

4AB56786-C7E4-420C-9F80-D2F4B6993A8B.jpeg

67E7C183-9D4F-4BE8-B89D-35BD73F09020.jpeg

3B757511-094D-4733-8531-D02E2E26549A.jpeg

HI your sat nav system appears to be the same as mine; it is all contained in the hard drive unit ,this means a dealer will have to update it using a computer or memory stick .I tried to have this done a few years ago but the Lexus technician could not get it to work .They have recently informed me that updates are no longer available ,the price originally was £175 so you can do what I have done and put this money towards a new tom tom with the ability for free updates which can now be carried out over the wi fi

Regards  Dave

• Like 2

Not worth updating this old sat-nav system, I don't believe maps after ~ 2016 (maybe 2019 for HDD version) are available for it and 4 years could make a massive difference. But even if you had the latest map... it is still slow and inaccurate, does not have real-time traffic updates and frankly quite useless. It is okey for general directions like driving from London to Birmingham, but apart of that gets quickly overwhelmed with traffic and small street layouts etc.

On 6/20/2023 at 4:54 PM, true blue said:

HI your sat nav system appears to be the same as mine; it is all contained in the hard drive unit ,this means a dealer will have to update it using a computer or memory stick .I tried to have this done a few years ago but the Lexus technician could not get it to work .They have recently informed me that updates are no longer available ,the price originally was £175 so you can do what I have done and put this money towards a new tom tom with the ability for free updates which can now be carried out over the wi fi

Or indeed whole replacement system.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a IS250 convertible, 2010 and Lexus has told me it is unable to update my satnav.  However if you have Gen6 8HDD satnav, as posted earlier, you can get a 2020 hard drive from the firm below:

https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/lexus-gen6-x2808hddx29-sat-nav-map-update-europe-2019-2020-1087-p.asp

I emailed them to ask what is involved in replacing the old one and they came back to me the next day with helpful info:

“In order to install this update you need to remove your old hard drive from the head unit and replace it with the new one you ordered from us. Please find the attached photos of how to remove your hard drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIcwVnj88VU

They also sent me some photos on how to remove the hard drive from the unit (below):

I thought that was very good of them.  I will purchase the hard drive from them, but I am awaiting confirmation from Lexus that my system is indeed the Gen6 8HDD (it is certainly not a DVD as I bought that and there is no DVD installed - anyone want to buy a Lexus satnav DVD 2018?).

E4A18D97-835F-482F-B786-878CA563D6D5.jpeg

AA172689-0729-42AB-911B-7A5A82C087DD.jpeg

2C2D915C-42BE-4982-AB41-266AD0FB0752.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/10/2023 at 2:20 PM, MCR said:

I have a IS250 convertible, 2010 and Lexus has told me it is unable to update my satnav.  However if you have Gen6 8HDD satnav, as posted earlier, you can get a 2020 hard drive from the firm below:

https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/lexus-gen6-x2808hddx29-sat-nav-map-update-europe-2019-2020-1087-p.asp

I emailed them to ask what is involved in replacing the old one and they came back to me the next day with helpful info:

“In order to install this update you need to remove your old hard drive from the head unit and replace it with the new one you ordered from us. Please find the attached photos of how to remove your hard drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIcwVnj88VU

They also sent me some photos on how to remove the hard drive from the unit (below):

I thought that was very good of them.  I will purchase the hard drive from them, but I am awaiting confirmation from Lexus that my system is indeed the Gen6 8HDD (it is certainly not a DVD as I bought that and there is no DVD installed - anyone want to buy a Lexus satnav DVD 2018?).

E4A18D97-835F-482F-B786-878CA563D6D5.jpeg

AA172689-0729-42AB-911B-7A5A82C087DD.jpeg

2C2D915C-42BE-4982-AB41-266AD0FB0752.jpeg

Hi thats a very helpful info, did you get new hard drive of them and can you tell how is it? 
I own my is250 for about 7 yrs now and Ive looked at many gps / sat nav forums, never looked for a hard drive but it sounds amazing!

On 12/13/2023 at 9:11 PM, pjk12 said:

Hi thats a very helpful info, did you get new hard drive of them and can you tell how is it? 
I own my is250 for about 7 yrs now and Ive looked at many gps / sat nav forums, never looked for a hard drive but it sounds amazing!

Just to put my 5p here, why not invest £250 into a good Apple/Android CarPlay head unit? 
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004171662274.html the one for £269 is a good spec. I got one myself. Very happy with it.

Screenshot 2023-12-15 141816.png

• Like 2

On 12/15/2023 at 2:19 PM, H3XME said:

Just to put my 5p here, why not invest £250 into a good Apple/Android CarPlay head unit? 
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004171662274.html the one for £269 is a good spec. I got one myself. Very happy with it.

Screenshot 2023-12-15 141816.png

Thanks for your reply, doesnt look like this unit is compatible with 2012 model (see pics in stereo desription)
Was actually thinking about stereo upgrade in the past, but my experience with chinesse stereos lets say wasnt great by any means.

Hovewer just few questions

*Does it work with stock camera?
*Does it work with stock CD changer?
*Says steering wheel controls ok but is it really?

S7398d382c0504791bc21cdf7aa6c8ff1u.jpg

7 hours ago, pjk12 said:

Thanks for your reply, doesnt look like this unit is compatible with 2012 model (see pics in stereo desription)
Was actually thinking about stereo upgrade in the past, but my experience with chinesse stereos lets say wasnt great by any means.

Hovewer just few questions

*Does it work with stock camera?
*Does it work with stock CD changer?
*Says steering wheel controls ok but is it really?

S7398d382c0504791bc21cdf7aa6c8ff1u.jpg

Even worst Chinese unit still going to be better than what Lexus was putting out in 2012. The sat-nav controls and features were never strong part of Lexus.

For 2012 model you will indeed have to find compatible unit, but in principle the price will be in the same ballpark.

- The steering buttons definitely works, this is never an issue with these replacement units.

- the CD changer should work as it is still used as "slave" interface with AMP in most cases, although once you have android unit I am not sure how important is the feature of CD player?!

- the stock camera may or may not work, this needs to be confirmed for a specific unit. The ones that replace non-sat-nav units usually does not have interface for camera and use generic USB camera, the ones that are properly designed to replace sat-nav often have "plug&play" integration for all features.

All these questions would be answered by the seller. In my experience sellers even refuse to sell you the unit unless you provide them with specific model you have and some even asks you to remove headunit and show the pictures of the connectors to make sure they send you the compatible one (I guess last thing they want is to deal with returns). So again - from my experience it seems almost as if you need to convince them to sell one, than the other way around. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links