Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 Mk4 vs LS430 (2004 onwards)

Maybe this thread has ben covered before (applogies if it has) but I am looking for a nice LS, until recently I thought the LS430 would be the pick but there appear to be established members on here who all confirm that the best LS to own and run is the earlier late LS400 (1998 to 2000). Could someone tell me why? Better than even the facelifted 2004+ LS430 (which I love the look of). Thanks in advance.

Hiya, well, where do I start, I'll just tell you about the issues you get with the ls430, then you can make up your own mind.

Gearbox failure, air suspension failure, vsv valve, speakers failure, cd player failure, rust on both front doors, rear air con stops working, its the kinda car that when you come out the house every morning, and before you even open the drivers door, you think to yourself, I wonder if every thing is working? There may be more faults, but I cant think now, it's too early. 

Lexus actually called me this week about an event they have on and that they will put £4000 towards a newer Lexus, my answer was this, " yes lexus is more reliable than bmtroubleyou, Mercedes etc, but the most reliable Lexus for me is the ls400, the newer Lexus's use so much tech, that things do go wrong and it gets expensive, I've also had gs430 mk2 sport, gs300, sc430, is300, ls430 and I have to say, none of them are as reliable as an ls400" he agreed.

Twelve years ago My first Lexus LS400 mark 1 was coming to the end of its life mainly because of rust .I decided for reliability I was sticking with Lexus but which one ,I did a lot of research into the post ls400 Marque and looked at ls430 ls460 and the sc430 and with the winner being my Ls400 mark 4 here are the reasons.

The issues with the 430 were at the time very out there and were covered comprehensively by Qamar ,The LS460 was very expensive to maintain especially the suspension and the SC430 was a harsh ride not designed for our roads more the american  interstates.

If you couple that with the 17 years of improving develoment of the LS400 it is a stand out winner ,no other car in the Lexus range as been in production for that long .

• Like 1

John  .  I don't know the real life experiences of owning a Ls430 BUT I do with the Ls400 .  20+ years and maybe qtr. million miles and of the Mk1, Mk2 and now my Mk3 .  well the Mk3 is best

The Mk4 Ls400 I've never owned, also has a few foibles reading here, not least being the steering rake mechanism that might be challengingly expensive to sort out ..........  my Mk3 Ls a steel washer about 20p 🤩

I'm sure hoping you'll make the right choice for you

Good luck

Malc

I've run an LS400 for the last 13 years but don't have experience of an LS430.  They scare me, to be honest, because there's much more to go wrong with them - and they seem expensive things to fix.  But they're all old cars now, and I'd prefer a well-maintained 430 to a so-so 400.  Condition is everything with old cars, I'd say. 

• Like 1

Yes, the LS430 does have a few more "potential" issues than the 400 but it also has advantages.
1- Parts are still available. Try buying a rear windscreen for an LS400.
2- They are up to 17 years younger than the LS400.
3- They are almost all ULEZ/LEZ compliant.
4- Apart from the doors along the trim line they rust WAY less than the LS400 (sills, rear wheel arch, rear subframe, etc.) but that may just be down to being younger.

I made my choice 5+ years ago and I would still choose the 430 over the 400 today given equal condition/mileage/price.
Both are very good, but the 430 edges it for me.
That said I am in no way a "standard" sized person and my tastes are rarely in sync with the "mainstream".

For me the comparisons are are little irrelevant really …… there’s no compulsion for me yet to discard my 95 Mk3 Ls400 …… MOT time and intervening roadside casualty issues could make my decision making more focussed of course ……. as with any car 

The Ls430 could be a happy option for me but I’d have to weigh up the quality of maintenance and servicing, preventative maintenance too …… that radiator change, steering rake issues fixed, air suspension having been changed or at least replaced, window delamination ……. And there’s more for sure …… vvti issues too ……. The need to replace a rear screen on a Ls400 might pale into insignificance riskwise tbh …… but that would be likely catastrophic 🥵

Who would know what on earth to choose eh until that need arose ……… decisions decisions decisions …… and your cheque book of course 😂

Malc

• Like 1

If you're tall you might be more comfortable in an LS430, which has more cabin space.  The LS400 is a bit cramped in the front for people with long legs.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links