Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Air Con Cycling Noise

Hi all

When using the air con on the Is300h, I can hear a whirring noise starting and stopping every 5 seconds or so. Cycling on and off.

Is it the compressor or something else? Will try and get a video  

My air con blows ice cold air. Aside from a musty smell that I’m trying to tackle, it seems good. However, I am now thinking this noise which has been going for a couple of years (and maybe longer, I just never paid attention) is not normal.

Can you guys hear a whirring cycling noise?

I read that it could be the refrigerant is low, but my cold temperature is excellent.

Thoughts appreciated. 

9 minutes ago, matt8 said:

Hi all

When using the air con on the Is300h, I can hear a whirring noise starting and stopping every 5 seconds or so. Cycling on and off.

Is it the compressor or something else? Will try and get a video  

My air con blows ice cold air. Aside from a musty smell that I’m trying to tackle, it seems good. However, I am now thinking this noise which has been going for a couple of years (and maybe longer, I just never paid attention) is not normal.

I read that it could be the refrigerant is low, but my cold temperature is excellent.

Thoughts appreciated. 

Is it the fan in the engine bay? It will cycle on and off as needed if running the air con when stationary or moving slowly. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

Is it the fan in the engine bay? It will cycle on and off as needed if running the air con when stationary or moving slowly. 

It wouldn't typically cycle that frequently though.

The AC compressor is run via an inverter to control speed, so that doesn't cycle on/off.

1 hour ago, matt8 said:

No, it's been a while since I owned by IS300h but I never experienced this.

Worth standing outside with the AC running to try and determine if the noise is from inside the cabin or engine bay.

I wonder if it's an air control servo that is constantly opening/closing an air diverter - other Lexus models can suffer this.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all!

It sounds like it’s coming from the engine bay. It’s absolutely more pronounced when standing outside the car. 

Will try and get a video tomorrow.

On the note of the air conditioning, I am tempted to try and clean the smell by applying the foam cleaner myself. Anyone got any tips for the Is300h? There’s spraying it upward into the condensate pipe but it seems to be sensible spraying it on top of the evaporator too. 

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

I wonder if it's an air control servo that is constantly opening/closing an air diverter - other Lexus models can suffer this.

Thank you!

Any more info and symptoms of this please? I have no OBD errors. But it may not show there. 

If this is the case, what’s damaged, what needs fixing, and how significant/expensive is that job?

1 hour ago, matt8 said:

Any more info and symptoms of this please?

Symptom is a continuous motor sound and possibly air flow not be directed as expected. However if you think the noise is in the engine bay then it isn't this.

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2023 at 7:17 PM, wharfhouse said:

Could be! Video attached above.

Sounds like engine bay, a fan that comes on and off constantly. Maybe it’s OK.

I've encountered a new issue (separate to the air con) today now however, will post later if I can. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links